Im a noob and need help - ATI HD 5700

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Daftnader, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Morning dudes.

I have tried everything above and still nothing. But, thanks to you guys , i have learnt a lot of stuff that i didnt have a clue about before. I salute you all!

So i have reinstalled my Alienware vista system restore disc and now running on 32 bit again. But, all of my drives are working this time. Now im going to do a windows 7 64 bit upgrade.

Wow, i really cannot understand how it would simply not let me use any other drivers then the standard VGA ones.

Hopefully it will just upgrade for me and work!

I will comment later if it works or not. Many thanks people.

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    You're running into a hardware conflict probably caused by software. If it were me I would make sure I have the correct chipset/motherboard drivers installed and all other component drivers installed then I would install only one video card and try to install the drivers. Since you mention this is an alienware PC I suspect you're not installing specific chipset or motherboard drivers and this is the root of the hardware conflict.

If this doesn't resolve the issue I would reset the BIOS and reconfigure the minimum (Ram, CPU, etc) settings, then install windows fresh. But considering you're probably not comfortable doing this it might be a little overwhelming.

I wouldn't attempt to "upgrade" windows - in fact I believe the upgrade process from 32 to 64 bit windows still just does a fresh install anyway (i.e. it doesn't actually upgrade) and you'd be left with crap on your hard drive that you don't need (like a separate instance of windows 32 bit)

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Ah, right, chipset drivers; that one slipped my mind.
    It's usually one of the main culprits.
    And with older motherboards, sometimes Windows 7 64-bit just can't find a driver for a specific system devices.

i.e my desktop, which comprises of an old ASUS P5K, has a system device called 'ATK 0110', which Win7 64-bit couldn't find the driver even via Windows Update; had to go to ASUS' site and download the Vista 64-bit ACPI driver for it.