Monitor colors/gamma always washed out with GTX 980

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Valagard, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I dunno how to fix this as it is, but my GTX 980 since I've gotten it has the problem where DVI-D colors have always been washed out, and unable to get true blacks with it on my BenQ gaming monitor

My AMD 7970 had the option of using EDID which fixed this color problem but I don't have that option in the nvidia drivers

2. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sounds like your monitor has an issue... or your install of windows.

3. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Wait for ur monitor to get warm. U get those things when starting the pc ?

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Its an LED monitor, doesn't have to get warm, and its always on

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    NVCP - Desktop Colour settings > Digital Vibrance and contrast ?

Try messing with them

Set to RGB etc

Few options in there

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  7. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Yeah, it's probably this. There have been on and off threads regarding this issue. I've been using Madshi's RGB levels tweaker for convenience.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Doesn't the full range thing only affect HDMI ?

9. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    My Asus LED VG248QE definitely has to "get warm" to look right. It's washed out for about half an hour upon turning it on.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It can happen when using DisplayPort or DVI to HDMI cable (if the display only has HDMI ports).

Also if I remember correctly creating custom resolution is the only solution when using DisplayPort.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

11. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Thanks guys, specifically for me the Nvidia full range tool fixed my issues, now DVI-D and HDMI look the same as my old AMD card.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Unfortunately depends on the device it seems :( When a device also has HDMI, the issues seems more prevalent.
    Nvidia is working on a fix. But of course it's taking way more time than you'd think

13. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Ah yea, just remember you will need to run the tool every time you upgrade drivers :/

14. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I came across this problem (and solution) after I purchased a Dell U2414H (DisplayPort), read below for my findings:

Whilst creating a custom resolution does indeed work, it obviously comes with the drawback of being the only setting that won't look washed out.

Another way around it is by unchecking "Include extension block" in CRU which prevents loading the resolutions and color ranges reported by the monitor, though this also means that any non-standard resolution won't be selectable.
    Oddly enough, if you turn your monitor off and on again, the colors will still look washed out until you restart your computer.

The best way I've found that fixes this problem is by changing digital color format to YCbCr444 (found under "Adjust desktop color settings" for nVidia users), as this also retains the resolutions reported by the monitor, and will still work correctly if the monitor is turned off and on.
    This also enabled me to use the (factory calibrated) sRGB preset for my monitor without inaccurate colors being displayed.

However, do keep in mind that if your monitor does not support YCbCr444 (or 422), you may find that the display output becomes corrupted, and the possibilty that you may have to do a clean reinstall of your GPU drivers to correct it. If this happens i suggest using DDU in safe mode.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  15. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    bougt a gtx980ti yesterday and really surprisingly this issue from 2014 still isn't fixed
    DP to Benq xl2420z

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Then something is wrong with it. My VG248QE has perfect colors from the second it comes on.

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yes it is fixed... select Full RGB on the resolution menu in the Nvidia Control panel.

Sometimes it will default to Limited RGB on some monitors.

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Same issue, and even worse when I had AMD card. When you connect your monitor with HDMI, it defaults to RGB Limited. Meanwhile, AMD defaults to YCBCR - lol.

I guess they can't figure how to distinguish whether you connect a monitor or TV. Limited and Ycbcr is mostly for TVs.

19. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Look for a monitor .inf to install

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Make sure you have Full RGB selected for Dynamic Range!

[​IMG]