My gpu is dying or driver problem?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CrazyGenio, Dec 6, 2014.

1. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    I have the gtx 770, and amazing card indeed, this card is now 1 year old, and i always overclocked it a bit, but recently my games are locking up too quick, only the games, and i need to force close them to continue.

My stock clock is 1046 i always added +117mhz to it and no problem, now i use +78mhz or less, higher clocks causes my games to freeze.

But, i noticed this is more often with the latest drivers, so ... My card is dying, driver problem or both?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hmm, I'm getting the same problem with my 980, running 344.80

Reinstalled Windows and it's still happening, happens anywhere from a couple minutes to about 30 minutes of gaming

Possibly drivers then yea, can't remember if it was happening with 344.65 but I have a feeling it was

3. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    I hope it is, because i want this card to live until july 2015, i want to see if they release a 6-8GB version of the 970, i will test my card with even more old drivers (thanks i have an old card), maybe the latest drivers are faulty.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea let us know if that fixes it, Im getting pretty irritated not being able to play for very long without crashes

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Locking up too quick? A fully function card should not have a time limit when it locks up. Run the card at stock clocks and see what happens. Loop heaven 4.0 a few hrs to test for stability.

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Remember though that some games for some reason really dislike over clocked systems.

If you are ever facing problems with games freezing or crashing first things first, remove any over clocks from gpu, ram, cpu.

I've had more game problems with this 9xx than i got with my 470/760.

I think this is down to me though, messing around with .cfg .xml .ini files and in game settings.

Usually my games are tampered with, FoV and other settings like Blur and camera angles plus shake/wobble removed.

I find that the more you mess about with a games settings the more likelihood is that it will crash or run into problems/errors.

Example i love Red Faction Guerrilla with single player hacks/mods, blowing up big buildings never gets old specially when you can just rebuild it and do it again. Problem is it seems to crash way more on 9xx than it did on 760.

7. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    Well i tested some drivers until the first 340 branch, still happens, for example in ACIV: black flag, it freezes after 10 minutes and in Cryengine games they lock after 30 min, stock clocks up to +78mhz and no more, are stable and fine.

Sadly i uninstalled most of my games because i finished them, so the most demanding games i have now to test are BF4 (this one is fine no mather what), ACIV, FAr Cry 4, Lichdom Battlemage (the ones that freezes alot), And Sleeping dog definitive (this one freezes after a few hours).

I will try for last the 337.88 driver (the first one that came with optimizations), if this continue then i will lower my clocks more and then wait to buy a new card with my hopes on a 6-8GB version of the current gtx 900 or the new AMD cards (if they come out).

And yes maybe is the card because i overclocked it even on day 1 lol.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You need to test it with no overclock at all

My issue remains even at stock clocks

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    cards dying do not cause lock ups of that sort.

its very likely not driver related and a symptom of system instability.

psu, cpu, gpu, check voltages temps, try stock clocks, etc.

10. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    Well i tried all the 34x.xx drivers and my system is unstable with custom clocks, stable with stock clocks.

Downgraded everything to the driver 331.82 (i remebered this one was a grat driver back then), installed and everything workded fine, with custom and stock clocks, i overclocked my gpu to +104 mhz core +.12mv (max boost clock give me 1241 mhz) and 210 mhz on memory clocks, max tem overall is 72° degrees and the system didn't freeze or lock up, so i guess the new drivers are faulty. For now everything seems to be good and stable.