Card won't overclock anymore?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Colt M4, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Well i was running my 7970 at 1125/1625 since april 12 with various drivers until last friday when my system started crashing cause of the overclock. I reinstalled the drivers, msi afterburner then the whole OS only to have it still crash. So I remove the overclock and it has worked fine all week. But now i want to overclock again and its doing it all again it will not overclock no matter what voltage. I am running on the 12.11 beta 11 and msi afterburner 2.3

2. nsegative

nsegative Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX 768mb
    I'm having a similar problem too:

2500k 4.7 ghz
    7950 crossfire
    850TX
    windows 8

I had my 7950 crossfire running at 1100mhz for a good month without any issue. I then started playing a game that only used one gpu for a week and when I went back to play something using both gpus my games lock up instantly if I use crossfire and that overclock. If I turn off overclock and use cards by themselves they work fine.

Crossfire stock 900 mhz - Fine
    Crossfire 1000 mhz oc - semi stable, locks at times. can close by forcing task manager
    Crossfire 1000-1100 = instant ingame lock, can close by forcing task manager

I took the cards out, swapped psu cables, placed the top card in other slot but it still does it. Reinstalled drivers and tried older 12.11 beta 8 but it stills occured.

The reason why I think it might be the PSU:

if i turn crossfire off and use the 1100hz overclock it doesn't matter which card is in the primary slot, they both work fine and I tested them for hours at 100% gpu usage.

It's only if I turn the OC crossfire that it locks up (it doesn't lock the entire pc up, just the game. I can alt tab out and force it to quit).

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

@ Colt M4

Try uninstalling all drivers/overclocking utilities and then running genetix_cleanup, do not restart the pc after running the cleaning software or you'll have to enter safe mode and uninstall the standard vga drivers to avoid a black screen at boot.

@ nsegative

Have you disabled ULPS? The TX 850 is sufficient for an overclocked crossfire 7950 based system, assuming they use reference based 2x 75w PCI-e power connectors.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    genetix cleanup? i can clean ab out?

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes, from here Genetix Cleaner v5.01. It should clean everything, just be sure to uninstall all third party overclocking utilities.

6. nsegative

nsegative Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX 768mb
    It turned out that it's my secondary IPS screen that's causing the problem. It's connected via hdmi into gpu and dvi into screen. As soon as I unplug it and play my 1100 clocks work fine. Plug it back in and games lock up.

Not sure if ULPS would do anything but i'll look into it.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You'll find that ULPS is the first thing you'd want to disable for trouble free crossfire overclocking. The simplest way is to use Sapphire's Trixx utility as it has the option built in.

8. nsegative

nsegative Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX 768mb
    Disabling the ULPS with trixx solved my lock ups completely even with the 2nd screen using hdmi/dvi. Much thanks.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'm glad it got fixed. :)

I should also clarify that the TX 850 should be more than sufficient for an overclocked crossfire 7950 based system as the reference design only uses 2 x 75w PCi-e power cables rather than a single 75w and 150w that 79770 and some non-ref 7950 cards use.

10. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Well I didn't use the genetix cleaner but I used driver sweeper 3.2 unistalled everything including ab then reinstalled 12.11 beta 11 but it still crashes. Its like the voltage falls off or isn't being applied. Going to try trixx

Edit trixx doesn't work. According to tech up it isn't applying the right voltage or any voltage.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Maybe try a WHQL driver, like the 12.10 ones. Or have you already had AB 2.3.0 already running great with 12.11 BETA 11s?

12. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    I had it running with the beta 4 for about 4 or 5 weeks. I am going try the 12.10 then. How much slower is the 12.10 than the 12.11?

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I don't know mate, I run 6000 series cards, so all the good stuff in the latest drivers doesn't really do anything for me as I believe its more for the GCN architecture.

Your 7970 is a beast anyway, it'll run anything really well with or without 12.11 ;)

At least if you try with 12.10 and its OK it could be because AB 2.3.0 isn't cool with the BETA11 version of 12.11 and you may have to wait for say 2.3.1 to be released.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Assuming driver cleaner cleared out the system (I can not be sure as I do not use it) and 'tech up' is able to read the voltages being applied correctly and you understand the difference between actual voltage and set voltage (vdroop) and are using the applications accordingly then either ovp is kicking in or there is still some software conflict as 'applying' voltage should work. Whether it's stable and works in games is another matter.

What is the stock voltage on the card? Perhaps providing a gpu-z sensors tab screenshot with the windowed render test could prove useful.

Something like this.

[​IMG]

Also, if you have any doubts it's better to ask. You can not expect people to provide assistance if it means going around in circles because you are not willing to follow instructions.

15. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I don't think either of us wants to discuss the pros and cons of what driver cleaning software to use and all such utilities are required to clean out the registry, though many do not recommend driver sweeper. A quick goggle search will likely highlight why, as my recommendation was based on experience.

In any case, according to that screenshot all is well at stock clocks i.e voltages/temps etc. Another similar screenshot, but with the higher clocks and voltages applied through afterburner or trixx would be helpful.

17. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Well it crashed to quick for me to get a screenshot but this is what it did. I applied 1.2 volts stock clocks started render test. Starts at 1.15 then 1.146 then 1.145, 1.143, 1.141, 1.136, 1.135, 1.134, 1.127, 1.126, 1.125, 1.124, 1.121, then last one i saw 1.107 crash all in about 45 seconds.

Also i didn't use the genetix cleaner cause I don't feel comfortable using a command line program.

18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Being GUI based or command line based does not effect the utility's effectiveness, it's also only a matter of pressing a single key.

I am not sure what clocks you applied for that test but that is less relevant, that does sound like there is a hardware error of sorts or the card is gradually limiting power as the load increases. Did you increase the power limit slider to +20%?

I am also assuming you did not make any changes to the bios or drivers between the time when all worked well and the issues appeared?

Edit:

It could also be caused by overheating components as it does sound a lot like a protection of some sort kicking in.

19. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    yeah last friday it completely stopped working I had been using this version of afterburner with the 12.11 beta 4 since they came out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n8nzw5ptp82irn/Untitled1.png

Not sure if this could be a cause since I never see my temps over 60 and my vrm temps don't go above 70 but I have a Prolimatech MK-26 installed but i was using that cooler for 5 weeks before this started.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That is most likely the cause if I was to guess. Something is probably overheating, try remounting or using the old cooler.