Asus Maximus VII Hero USB 3 issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by schoolofmonkey, Jul 30, 2014.

1. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Hey guys.
    I'm having as strange USB issue with my Maximus VII Hero.

I picked up a Audioengine D1 DACc, all but the lower USB 3 ports (circled in image) didn't work with the DAC at all, I get a warning about a hardware malfunction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I had a friend bring over a Hitachi Touro USB 3 hard drive, it wouldn't work in anything but the lower 2 USB 3.0 ports as well.

Yet my Keyboard and mouse are connected to the black USB 2 ports work fine (DAC wouldn't work in them either), USB 3 flash drives, printer, USB 2.0 2.5" hard drive, MS Xbox360 wireless receiver, mobile phone all work perfectly in every port.
    I also have a PCI slot USB 2 panel connected to the internal USB 2 ports and everything works perfectly in them too.

If I plug in a USB 3 hub into the middle USB 3 and top USB 2 ports the DAC works perfectly through the hub....

Is there something wrong with my motherboards or do the bottom 2 ports supply more power than the others?

2. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I returned the Hero board and got a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1 Black Edition instead.

ALL USB PORTS WORK PERFECTLY WITH THE DAC, and strangely enough so does my front panel that wouldn't work with the Hero AT ALL.

Fans are oddly places for the CPU fans, but the cpu_opt header is in the perfect place for the H110 pump.

My run with Asus/ROG is over, I've always bough ASROCK and Gigabyte in the past (I know they Asrock are Asus, but made in a different factory).

In the last 12 months I've had a dodgy Maximus IV Extreme, 2 overheating buzzing GTX780ti DCUII's, and now 2 bad Hero's.

Would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth I think.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for your further information on the matter, I also thought it to be a faulty board, but wasn't able to tell or help you in any way.
    Good to hear you get along with your new board, hope you enjoy it!

4. lunarstrain

lunarstrain New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 DCU II OC
    i have this issue on 2 Maximus 7 Rangers and one Maximus 7 Hero motherboards. I have a Samsung M3 1 TB portable drive which doesn't work on usb 3.0 ports of these boards. The file transfer rate drops to zero from 90mbs/sec. and holds on. I think this is a common issue on all Asus Z97 series. A compatibility issue with usb 3.0 ports and several devices. I didn't return the 7 Hero after 2 Rangers, instead bought a PCI-E to Usb 3.0 add on card.

5. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Apparently I too have the same problem after troubleshooting for hours I was completely outraged and it's been happening even since. Updating to v3.0.1.41 didn't iron out the bug or is it. Couldn't fine much on the annoyance and the fact it's been playing Russian roulette with my data, I did fine someone with the same problem but in this case it was a Dell XPS 8700 Front USB Port Issue with all the images of the Policies tab missing etc.

Here's something I noticed after I had two USB 3.0 flash drives connected to the system. The First one is Sony that's supports write cache with quick removal and better performance, the second is Patriot that only supports quick removal and better performance.

Using the Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 to reveal the hidden drivers and uninstalling USB 2.0 hub driver did not work, didn't remove Intel's USB 3.0 drivers knowing it had to be removed from the appwiz.cpl. Running Microsoft Fix-it did detected it couldn't safely remove the drive this was the same for both flash drives. Yet I could easily remove the flash drive in the system tray and in Devices and Printers. Same thing happen when running the safely remove hardware from the command prompt rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll, it wouldn't safely remove the device.

This is when I noticed that Asmedia was running and the only time I didn't hear a plug-an-play sound was when I connected the flash drive to the second bottom front port on the Cooler Master Cosmos II Case, Asmedia 106x SATA Controller is take hole of the device and not releasing the device. Stating msconfig32 and looking at IRQ's Intel and Asmedia are both are using IRQ 19, I'm guesting this is why we hear are flash drives disconnect and reconnect. Removing the Asmedia driver could solve the problem but it might also leave a yellow question mark in the Device Manager and the two SATA 3.0 ports unusable on the motherboard, have a look at your motherboard documentation for additional information. Then again it just might be a UEFI-BIOS ROM bug or some sort like the people were having with the Dell machine.

Did I remove the driver NO went back to USB 2.0 for now and the problem seems to come to an end. This is the last ASUS motherboard I'll ever purchase, had way to many problems with every ASUS Motherboard I owned, plus their support on the forums are absolutely ridiculous. There is also power warnings in the Event Viewer, ACPI telling me to update the BIOS, well guest what you can and the problem is still there.

:peeright:Excellent emotion for ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero motherboard.:peeleft:​

6. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Well after spending months dealing with the my flash drive disconnecting and reconnecting along with running chkdsk, I finally uninstalled Intel's USB 3.0 Controller Driver, before I did that though, the UEFI-BIOS was the first place.

Intel xHCI Mode [Smart Auto]

• [Smart Auto] Once the xHCI driver has been detected, the USB 3.0 mode will be supported during both post and operating system.
    • [Auto] xHCI controller will be enabled and run at USB 3.0 mode when the xHCI driver is installed in the operating system.
    • [Enable] Enables xHCI controller.
    • [Disable] Disable xHCI controller.

Sarcasm: "Really I couldn't Copy and paste this information for the ASUS PDF Manual and have to type it all up, you gotta be kidding me right."

Changing either settings in the UEFI-BIOS Rom did NOT solve the problem, even when is was left set to Default witch is [Smart Auto].

Plugging Patriot XT Flash drive in any port on the motherboard, let it be the rear ports or the front USB 3.0 ports it would disconnect over a period of time, the same for USB 2.0 ports. One person reported it would disconnect and reconnect every 5 seconds. It's only one port that I don't hear the plug-an-play sound. I Never do get the little "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon popping up in the System Tray when I use the front bottom port on the Cooler Master Cosmos II Case.

People reported the same problem with previous Z87 motherboards saying it was something to do with insignificant power been supply to the ports. If that is the case then, can you tell why?...

When I connect the Patriot XT USB 3.0 Flash drive to the bottom front USB 3.0 port or the Sony USB 3.0 Flash drive, I don't hear the plug-an-play sound. Asmedia is taking control of the drive and its then when you'll see the second device show up in the system tray after you connected it, along with the first one that didn't show the first time or for that matter make the plug-an-play sound. Clearly it's something to do with IRQ's and not insignificant power like they were reporting with the Z87 motherboards.

Using only one drive WILL NOT WORK has it will disconnect over a period of time, even after removing the Asmedia driver the problem still continued.

Device Manager didn't report any Yellow Question marks after removing the Asmedia driver and can only assume Windows reinstalled it. I don't seen and driver listed though, so it could be gone.

Even if it was insignificant power what was I suppose to do, disable the USB ports in the UEFI-BIOS Rom and if I was going to do this it would be better off just disabling it in the chipset. Plus if I add to disconnect the USB 3.0 front ports from the header on the motherboard it would still force me to get on my knees and put it in from the back, kinda what ASUS did with us, get it from the back.

There was one point that I strongly believed my machine was been control remotely, YES my mouse felt like it had 15 DPI Sensitivity and a Report rate on 10mhz setting in the Logitech Gaming Software and it can't even go that low. Seriously though it was that bad, moving my mouse from one screen to the other would feel like I was dragging it across a football field, bad example I can't stand football, it was that annoying. As soon as I lost it one day with the disconnecting and reconnecting Intel's USB 3.0 drivers got removed along with disabling xHCI controller on the chipset in the UEFI-BIOS Rom [Disable] Disable xHCI controller.

An as soon as the machine completed (POST) I could notice the difference in boot time and the mount of time the keyboard took to load. It still takes a little time but way better then before. Logging in without the drivers installed was like heating a Knife up with the Sun and running it through butter that was also out all day in the sun, I mean it was Night and Day difference!

Much as I would like to curse I won't, just glad the nightmare is over, some people went with USB 3.0 Add-in adapters and never had a problem ever since. I do have a D-Link USB 3.0 x1 PCIe adapter in the NAS/Server and could take it out of that and try it in the Dream Machine 2014 but ant, maybe in the future, as of now it's fixed kinda and I'll never in this life or the other ever purchase another motherboard from ASUS ever again!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I've never had any of the issues you describe. The only problem I've noted is that fast boot doesn't work correctly because of a bug with the Probe II device. Not that it matters when the OS is installed on a SSD.

I use an external DAC, mouse and keyboard, and USB flash drives without any problems. Sounds like a defect on your end.

8. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Apparently the problem didn't go away, using a external HDD with two USB ports on one end to operate the drive caused the computer to play a song with the Plug-in play notification sound and knew it was insignificant power been suppled to the ports. The drivers that I installed from ASUS was the cause of the fault or Intel either way it wasn't installing correctly. It was either Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility v10.0.14 or v10.0.17 can't really remember. So after restoring the Machine back to a clean installation it was time to get to the bottom of this, uninstalled Intel USB 3.0 Driver V3.0.0.16 rebooted and install the latest ASUS Intel Chipset driver v10.0.20.

Looking at the Device Manger at the time I seen two Standard PCI host controller to USB controllers something like that again can't really remember the specific name and Intel device where the USB 3.0 drivers were uninstalled. Reinstalled Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible V3.0.1.41 Host Controller driver and it was still reporting Standard PCI host controller for one of them even after rebooting.

So at this point I had USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and Intel 9 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller 8CA6 showing correctly in the Device Manager. Reading the news on The Guru of 3D yes thank you and seen Intel updated there chipset driver basically a .ini file and downloaded it. Knowing ASUS wasn't going to update there website with the latest version. Installing the driver Hard Lock the USB ports, lucky for me I had a keyboard using the PS2 port because all the USB ports were killed by the Chipset driver installation.

Restarted the computer and reinstalled them on top of the same ones theres over writing them and giving me back my mouse. Open the Device Manager and the Standard PCI Host Controller was now reporting Intel 9 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 8CAD. Everything seems fine and managed to get a ten hour day of productively without the Flash drives disconnecting and reconnecting, but did hear the Plug-in play sound when the computer came back out of sleep.

I disabled Sleep and the USB suspend option along with the Power options in the device manger, right-click on Hub and select Power Management tab.

Has of now the problem seems a lot better then before, who to blame both Intel and ASUS, there's just one little thing in the Even Viewer with ACPI Warning about some driver, sad thing it's installed even read the same problem on their forums and it still pops up ever now and then. Time to enjoy some games and not have to worry about the flash drives playing a song. If theres any more problems I'll just probably RMA it before it gets to late or just purchase a new that doesn't have a ASUS branding on it. You may want to disable all the USB ports you ant using in the UEFI-BIOS Rom, along with the Asmedia controller if you have no use for it.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Win8.1 is your fix, Win7 uses intel driver, Win8.x has native xhci no more trouble like that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  10. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670
    I try to keep consistent has knew changes come to market lol and knew about Windows 8 having native drivers, but said there was noway I was going to use Windows 8 in favor of USB 3.0 not working correctly when I had the problem. Thanks for the image, needed to have ten post to upload one and you can see from above image, that the 8c26 and 8c2d are installed correctly something for me that wasn't working. Nonetheless ASUS has been Terminated from future builds, this ant the first time I had problems with ASUS products and well... let this be the last. Thanks Guys and The Guru of 3D.

P.S Jumped back on this thread as I was writing about the ID Event 219 ACPI errors been thrown up in the Event Viewer and once Again! ASUS ant doing noting about it. Pointing fingers at Microsoft saying they need to update there code, you have to be kidding me right. With fifteen pages of people reporting the same problem and they point there finger at Microsoft. Lets see if they patch this error with Windows 10 or for that matter even report it to Microsoft so they can do something about it.