R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Talking about this on the Overclockers fourms, couple of guys on Hard Forum with the same problem, thought i'd post here to see if anyone has the same issue:

- 1x 290x in a system that had been rock hard stable for over a year,
    - I moved to Windows 8.1 from 7 at the same time. Other people using Windows 7.

Everything is fine, temps are fine, airflow in my case is fine, card seems happy, but every now and again i get a black screen lock-up when gaming, I've seen it in Dishonoured and Battlefield 4 three times now. Every time it was after gaming for ages and ages without a problem, and every time it was during a level transition.

2600k with a mild over-clock (which i turned off, same problem).
    Z68 Extreme 4 with latest BIOS (i think).
    Antec 1200W PSU
    Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB

Prime 95 torture test ran for 8 hours with no problem.

Very latest AMD beta drivers.

It really sounds hardwarey - but i'd welcome any thoughts. Made some voltage changes and haven't had the issue since, but this was just 30 minutes of game play.

Cheers!

2. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    I heard about the black screens when overclocking the cards too high, but it sounds like a driver issue to me since it's happening during loading, not game play (right?)

3. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    Ive been playing BF4 all week with my 7970, no problems, got my 290x yesterday, today i have the black screen hard lock. my 290x isnt clocked and its on uber mode.

4. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    I get black screen stock and uber, no overclock.

Has anyone had the crash in games other than BF4?

5. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Is it in "uber mode" if no switch to that see if it happens.. Also in uber mode create a fan profile with AB or asus gpu tweak.. Iv had that happen too with auto fan and quiet mode. According to amd peeps its a driver issue with the fan profiles and it taking to long for the fans to spin up... Once you get the rpm to ~60% or alittle higher you shouldnt see that ever again, as long as you stay and default clocks, or a new driver comes out..

6. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Are you suggesting AMD have a acknowledged an issue with the 290x, related to fan profiles, that causes this issue? Interesting. Where did you hear this?

I get the problem in uber and non-uber:

My clocks stay 1000.0 for GPU and 1250.0 for memory.

Even in uber i very rarely see the fan go above 41%, the temp of the card is 80-90 ish, mostly 80ish with some minor peaks at 92/93, but the fan never goes near 50%. All on air. I think this is normal?

7. flopper

flopper Member

GPU:
    xfx 6950 2gb
    fullscreen gamemode? seems to function,
    window game mode can cause blacks creen crashes.

newest bios MB?

8. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1863987/official-amd-radeon-representatives.html

BEST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS IMO.

Not a literal answer to your question, but a fun fact I wanted to share.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. roki977

roki977 Member

GPU:
    Asus gtx 670 dc2 TOP
    There is never any real performance benefit from aftermarket. It only keeps owners and GPUs more cool and more quiet and makes overclocking less stressful. 95c is not optimal for 290x its optimal for that cooler and there is nothing smart about it.

10. ToorboCharge

ToorboCharge Guest

GPU:
    x2 Sapphire r9 290x
    Yeah my friend and I are getting the same problem with our sapphire r9 290x. his was watercooled and oc'd and mine was just stock. well the problems we (yes the both of us) have now are anytime our gpu is under any type of load on our gpu we get the black screen and would have to hard boot it, today i just sent my graphiucs card to rma since i figured it mightve been a bad card. I am hoping the turn around point for sapphire is pretty quick... I am reading online im looking to be gpu less for a month. I also sent my motherboard out to get replaced from new egg. For the past couple of days I couldnt find anything on this black screen issue until now.

11. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    If you're getting the black screen issue when your card is NOT being overclocked through CCC (and you haven't flashed any bioses on it),

Do you have Elpida memory or Hynix? seems like the Elpida cards are the ones black screening at stock (so far).

You can check with http://www.mediafire.com/?voj4j1rlk0ucfz4

(memory tool v1005)

12. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    My screen doesn't go black, but my system hard locks and the sound is looping when it is crashing. I have only had this in BF4 so far.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sounds like the 7870's all over again. Hope it's not a hardware fault as it was in that case and the new drivers fix this.

14. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I am here to join the club. Black screens sound loops have to restart.

15. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Guys I hope you can fix this issue.

This is not an isolated case and it seems that it is spreading (reading from some users). I do remember getting a black screen at startup when I set both cards. I fixed it by setting in bios pcie gen 3. This is not a solution by any means because not everyone has that option.

Back when I had a trifire with 4870x2 + 4890, I experienced black screens like the ones you described. I thought it was related to drivers. However, by reading the lights on the card I knew it was a power issue related.

I hope I am wrong but this looks like a hardware issue. I say this because most people are using the same drivers and not everyone have this problem.
    If the problem persists, I would really consider a getting refund.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Since you got it solved by changing settings in bios. It may be possible to solve it even for PCIe 2.0 boards/ PCIe 3.0 with Sandy by bios update.
    Or by proper driver having proper support for PCIe 2.0.

17. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Same issue here, the card was fine since I got it 2 weeks ago, but since this morning I get black screen (No signal on the monitor) and I have to hard reset the computer.

It's completely random, at first it happened when opening BF4 Multiplayer while the map was loading (I didn't get to finish the map loading). Then it happened after an hour of Arma 2 gameplay, and just now it happened after 2 minutes of joining Arma 2.

I'm hoping this is not faulty cards all over the place and it can get solved by drivers, I am seriously considering selling or returning the card and getting something else...

I'm glad I'm not alone here, at first I was paranoid and thought it was the card, then thought it was the power supply dying...

PS: My card has Elpdia memory as well.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  18. ToorboCharge

ToorboCharge Guest

GPU:
    x2 Sapphire r9 290x

Well im not sure about mine since its in the mail getting sent to rma, but my friends was overclocked and he flashed bioses on it. He reverted back to the stock bios and still has the same issues not overclocked. He has Elpida Memory. Any ideas?

EDIT:
    Oh yeah we tried running kombustor just to see if the gpu would go under load but as soon as we hit the start button the screen goes black.

19. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I have Elpida too, my does the same thing.. I found a fix.. when it does it on windows start. Turn off the pc, and switch dvi ports on your card.. Fixed the problem for me... I did however today switch back to the top dvi port to see maybe if the dvi port is bad and everything works flawlessly now.. :3eyes:

20. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Someone at Overclockers claims to have fixed the issue by dropping to 60hz from 120hz. I myself am running at 120hz but haven't had time to test it.

For those not overclocking etc this seems like a plausible cause.