Visual Artifacts on Dell 17R SE w/650M 2GB

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Nybbler, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Nybbler

Nybbler Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 650M 2GB
    Hello, everyone, I'm Nybbler & this is my 1st post. :)

I'm delving into my new Dell 17R SE 7720 with an Nvidia GeForce GT650M 2GB discrete video card (in addition to the integrated Intel HD4000 on the CPU.)
    [​IMG]
    In running the tests from Geeks3D GPU CAPS Viewer, I'm seeing some fairly severe artifacts when running the OpenCL GPU 4D Quaternion Julia set demo (as shown in the attached image). Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone post a similar capture from this test?
    [​IMG]
    Also, for some reason, my CPU isn't showing as OpenCL compatible in this utility, which seems odd given it's very recent release. If anyone can confirm or deny that the i73630qm is OpenCL compatible or not, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for any replies & new information!

Nybbler

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

this is for steam , but try this :
    do it for the exes you are running

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    And update the drivers past the ones dell provided, they'll be old.

4. Nybbler

Nybbler Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 650M 2GB
    Update

I found this article at http://www.geeks3d.com/20111208/gpu-caps-viewer-1-14-5-released-download/ that shines a bit of light on this problem. It seems there is a bug in this version of the Julia set OpenCL kernel which causes the errors I am seeing. From the comments section:
    So, until I find something to the contrary, I'm going to write this off as a software error. I will continue to run tests on this hardware & see if I can verify its proper performance.

Greets,

Nybbler

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

anyways, if you want to make sure lappy fires the discrete GPU you need to make the exe thingy..........

6. Nybbler

Nybbler Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 650M 2GB
    Intel Drivers Updated to 9.17.10.2932

Yes, I've updated the Intel drivers twice in the month that I've had this machine. I *was* able to get OpenCL running on the CPU after the second update:
    I also updated the Nvidia drivers, which brought me up to OpenGL 4.3 compliance, amongst other things, I'm sure.:)

Thanks for the tip!

7. Nybbler

Nybbler Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 650M 2GB
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, I did test each device assignment setting for this exe, & the results were the same. Hence, I conclude this is not a driver issue, but rather a software issue as described above.

This is a great board with an active & knowledgeable user base!:approval:

Nybbler

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    For Nvidia+optimus there is an option in Nvidia control panel, "manage 3D settings", "Preferred graphics processor". Set to "High performance Nvidia processor" that seems to work great for me.