What CPU to buy for my laptop? (HP DV6 6042eo)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by permeableaxis5, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. permeableaxis5

permeableaxis5 Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    Hello!

I am interested in buying a new CPU for my laptop computer but I am unsure of which one should I buy for it or which one will work for it. I am not that good at this kind of stuff so I thought if you guys could help me if I gave some info about my laptop.

Here are the specs of my laptop: HP DV6 6042eo

Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom™ II P960 Quad-Core Processor (Quad Core)

Motherboard:

Model: Hewlett-Packard 164B
    Socket: Socket S1 (638)
    North Bridge: AMD 785GX rev 00
    South Bridge: AMD SB800 rev 40
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.21 (09/13/2011)

Graphic Card (GPU): ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series and AMD Radeon 6650M (Switchable Graphics) and GPU Brand is Hewlett-Packard.

As I said I am not that good at this kind of stuff and would apperciate it if you could help me with this. What CPU/s will work with the laptop and is there anything else I should know before upgrading?

The Manual of the laptophas some info about the processor but since I am not good at this stuff I ask you to please look into it. I don't want to mess up anything.

Thank you!

2. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Aside from RAM and storage, laptops can rarely be upgraded when it comes to both CPU and GPUs. Your laptop is no exception.

If you want upgrade-ability, ditch laptops and go for desktop towers, but even there, you can rarely upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the motherboard to make it a worthwhile upgrade, as new CPU generations tend to require new technology/software/sockets that may not be on the old board. The graphicscard will always be an easy to upgrade piece of hardware here, though!

If you wanna remain portable, you can empty your bank account for a super expensive, huge and heavy gaming laptop that has some more upgrade options, but these are just not worth their money. Otherwise, you gotta replace the laptop each time you want to either boost graphics* or compute power.

* there are now external graphicscards possible with laptops. look for the razer core. also very expensive tho!