PCH temps

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by PrMinisterGR, May 6, 2017.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is not for me. A designer/programmer friend of mine recently replaced his old i5-3570/****ty Gigabyte mobo combo with these:

• Ryzen R7 1700
    • Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass

All that with the standard AMD cooler given with the CPU, and zero OC.

The memory was very specific to ensure he can upgrade to 32GB when the prices are a bit more reasonable again. The motherboard is upgraded to the latest UEFI as of now (0604).

My question is:

What are the normal PCH temps for the system? Is he right to break my balls because they are on the high 50s/mid 60s (centigrade?)

Thanks guys.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's perfectly normal temperatures for the PCH , mine runs around ~ 45c - 55c with good airflow , tell him to get a fan and direct some airflow directly to the PCH if he is worrying about those temperatures :) .

3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The PCH of my Z97 runs over 60ºC on summer and is totally okey.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not normal.

Not saying it's not out of normal operating temps but you should be less than 40c.

Mine sits at around 30-33c max.
    Suggest you remove the PCH heatsink and scrape that plastic paste(whatever it is, it's always hard) and use either .5mm thermal pad(fujipoly) or good paste.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    PCH should run little higher than CPU at idle so 40c is actually perfectly fine. I would not recommend he scrape the paste from the new board and if temp reaches something like 80c then he should worry.

6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Right now is winter and is around 35-45°C. I had boards with chipset that runs MUCH hotter and they still working fine (P45, X58, nForce, AMD 690 ect).
    The Z97-A has a cheapo piece of aluminium as a heatsink on the PCH and probably a low quality thermal pad, but if runs stable nothing to fix :)

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the replies guys. He's getting a couple of Noctua NF-S12A FLX as intakes next week, and he'll put the front Phanteks fan on top. This should be more than enough for even psychological reasons I recon.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You are welcome. This part that you wrote made me laugh my a s s off " This should be more than enough for even psychological reasons I recon " :funny: , that was funny :D

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    hahahaha

That's the main issue. It was so hard to find any information on this, because no one is looking. The only thing I found was an FLIR image from a Chinese forum that was showing the PCH hovering at ~58c

10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    mine runs 50-70c when i installed U.2 Drive. before it was 40-60c

11. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I dont know what temp mines is currently sitting at, but its only warm to the touch, its not extreme. Baring in mind i have a Thermaltake Core p3 (i.e no case cooling) i am not concerned about it in the slightest. Coming from an overclocked FX9590 system, everything is cooler lol