GTA V on AMD CrossFire - low GPU utilization

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by christal, Apr 19, 2015.

1. christal

christal Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Hello folks,

I would like to ask those of you using CF if you happen to experience low GPU usage in GTA V?

I can confirm that GPU 1 and 2 never go above 70% and usage fluctuates between 45-70%...

Is this problem driver related or it is typical for older GPUs?

2. OmegaX

OmegaX Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980ti
    My two cards stay right around 50% usage. Lots of stuttering as well. I've had to disable one to get a somewhat smooth experience. Obviously these so called profiles in 15.4 don't work properly.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    We need more details.

What resolution, settings, refresh rate, VSync on or off?

How could we guess without those details?

I get 99% 99% usage across my GPUs in cases where I'm not CPU-bottlenecked, such as indoors or in grassy areas.

4. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Active Member

GPU:
    7970 crossfire-1125/1575
    Utilisation for me is around 50% on all three cards.

The problem I get however is sudden drop to 2D clocks on two of the cards, causing massive FPS lag, a few seconds later the clocks go back up again.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Here's a copy-pasta from another thread (didn't get a reply there :p)

Hello all,

I wonder if those of you experiencing the random FPS lag can check their GPU clocks to see what's going on.

I have the latest drivers, and I have 295x2 and a 290 in trifire. Resolution is 4K.

So, I play. The game is amazing at 60 FPS vsync (triple buffering enabled via radeonpro but that's it) and then at a random point, the frame rate will tank to 25-30.

This happens at ANY stage. Nothing to do with in-game activity or scene or whatever. I stood in the car dealership once for 5 minutes doing nothing and watched the FPS go up and down like a yoyo.

Initially I thought it was a vsync bug, jumping from 30-60 and back but even with vsync off it was the same.

Anyway, I worked out today that 2 of my GPUs (ie both on the 295x2) were randomly going from 1040mhz to idle 300 and back again. As this happens, FPS tanks like crazy and then voila, back to 60. While this is happening the third GPU stays fine at 1040.

RAM clocks on all 3 cards stay the same.

It's very weird, I haven't tried single GPU performance but I doubt it'll hit 60 FPS vsync at 4K without fidelity compromise, which I really don't want because it looks damn fine when it works properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'd be interested to see if this replicates on other systems.

PS: this happens even when radeonpro is disabled, and ULPS is off naturally.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I get your 98-99% the FIRST time i played then i get the usual 45-95% very inconsistent GPU usage.

No V-Sync here, no pagefile, clean OS for testing, no AV, no ULPS.

6. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    cpu limit.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe in your PC here i saw 50% GPU usage and 70% balanced CPU usage in my 3770 4.1ghz locked.

8. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    You should not enable triple-buffering in crossfire setups, as you are just introducing extra latency. Crossfire AFR already has the benefit of triple-buffering.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks.

We learn something new everyday. :)

10. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I can field this one, the vrms on your 295x2 are overheating. Once the vrms on a 295x2 overheat it throws the card into 2D clock state until temps come down.

Can you show us a picture of your case/airflow setup? We'll need to improve it and encourage you to undervolt your 295x2. This will improve core/vrm temps.

11. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have this very same issue,
    gpu cores randomly fluctuate between 3d clocks and 2d clocks... and gpu usage fluctuates also.

and im running @ 1150/1690
    with full waterblock.

temps never go over 67c and the temp threshold for these cards is over 75c before throttling occurs and my temps are no where near that.

there are other demanding games like crysis 3 that does not cause this throttling on my card and im pretty sure that my cpu is not bottle necking the gpu i7 4790k @4.8ghz

and im also pretty sure my vrms are not overheating.

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Does it do that at stock clocks or only when overclocked?

13. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Stock clocks also.
    also answer me this , just did a ultra firestrike loop @ OC settings and looped the system 5 times and no one clock dropped.

1150/1690 all the time, and that goes for GPU utilization also just little minute drops in those but thats normal.....
    and temps where around 67-68c, answer me that riddle and yet i can go play GTA 5 and sit in the santo`s garage and watch my 3d clocks dropping under 1150. to 1050 and vice versa... piss poor crossfire driver or game coding take your pick.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    In the Game GPU bench a 5960X @3.0Ghz smoked everything including a 3.4Ghz 2600K. You have 5820 @4.5Ghz and 12 logical cores, so how could you possibly be CPU limited?

I don't think 4 cores is enough, even with those weird results it seems clear that more threads = more fps.

I'm inclined to agree with this tbh....

Edit.
    Here's another bench from Sweclockers......performance scales with available threads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    One thing i've noticed is when you run Vsync or 60fps cap your SUB-60 framerate is actually lower than without any limiters. I'm not talking about switching to 30 with Vsync, what i mean is at certain points i get 42 with Vsync/fps cap and 55fps the second i disable those (checked multiple times in real time with RadeonPro hotkeys). It's also impossible to have >90% usage with Vsync even on Ultra with 8x MSAA

Do you have switching to 2D clocks (~300MHz) or just drops to 1050? It could be just dynamic clocks adjust due to GPU usage drops. Afterburner/RTSS graph would be nice to be sure.

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Have you changed any video settings in GTA V prior to the clocks dropping?

Are you using 15.4 Beta?

Does the clock dropping in GTA V occur if you run the 295x2 at stock clocks and have +50% powertune set?

What are you using to monitor these changes, Afterburner? Can i see a screenshot of the Afterburner settings tab please.

17. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    With vsync on, I've seen it stay locked at a solid 60fps when I disengaged crossfire. It will drop occasionally to 50+fps when there is new assets to be rendered.

Rendering the same scene with crossfire is a different story. It fluctuates between 56-60fps. If it does hit 60, some sort of micro-stutter begins to happen. And if it drops, it goes all the way down to 30+ for a few seconds before going back up again.

This is just like GTA IV all over again when it first launched on pc.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It's weird, Pill. None of my CPU cores are anywhere above 60% as far as I have noticed, but it seems common in high-end SLi / CF systems for GPU usage to fluctuate like that, going down gradually as you get into less GPU-limited areas. I call the bottleneck a CPU bottleneck just as a reference; it might be anything else, but definitely not the GPUs. It's probably an engine thing; Rockstar seem to have optimized the game to run perfectly up to 60FPS but beyond that you enter murky waters. I currently run the game at 72FPS @ 72Hz as a nice compromise.

Proof that CF scales in this game is that once you raise the settings slightly above what you have, GPU usage increases until it hits 99% and FPS slightly drops if anything. Once I found that out, I pretty much maxed out the normal graphics sliders, leaving Advanced Graphics, MSAA off and lowering Grass Quality for those grass-heavy areas that start bringing FPS below 60. That is at 1440p too.

BTW, remember the benchmarks you linked to about CPU load in this game? You saw the quad cores working above 70% while the 6- and 8-cores had ~50% usage. According to those numbers, neither configuration is any faster than the other, but clearly that is not the case with the above benchmarks.

19. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Or maybe its draw calls being not good enough ,just looking at my GPU and CPU utilization its a clear we're beginning to see the obstacles of using an old API such as DX11.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Might well be the case here. The game world is massive, no wonder.

But then you have to wonder why more threads get more performance out of the game even when less threads are not saturated.