Need a new gaming headset. Never had one. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Sukovsky, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hi guys,

Some friends and I decided that it's time to get back into gaming with headsets. I'm tech savvy but I never really invested in the sound part of my PC. So now I'm looking for a headset, and I have no clue what specificiations I should look out for or what makes a headset good. I don't need uber stuff, just a decent headset and definately sub 100 bucks.

I live in the Netherlands.

Cheers

2. Johnny Rook

Johnny Rook Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3Gb
    For that price, the HyperX Cloud or QPAD QH-90, which are pretty much the same headsets. Or QPAD QH-85, which have same specs but, are "open" headsets that will give you overall better positioning audio over "closed". The "problem" is that "opens" are not good for noisy environments or with people around because it leaks some sound.

Other option is to buy a headphone and a microphone, either desktop or a "mod-mic" to attach to the headphone.

By norm, headphones are better than headsets in the same price range.
    For example, you can get a $80 Sennheiser 518 and get similar audio as Sennheiser "G4ME ONE" - one of the best headsets around -, for double the price. Get a $20 mic and you're set.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I'm not sure if I want to mod a headset. I have no clue how that works. Does Razer have good headsets? And are the ones you mentioned of decent quality?

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    No modding, just buying a separate mic. I personally think Razer is overpriced cheap crap.

5. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    For a budget for $100 (Euros or dollars?)
    The Kingston HyperX Cloud would be about the best.
    The HyperX Cloud appears to be a Takstar Pro 80 with an added mic.

6. Johnny Rook

Johnny Rook Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3Gb
    Razer headsets? Yeah, right... "overpriced" is an understatement.

The HyperX Cloud and the QPADs are built like tanks (brushed aluminium), have high quality braided cables, and are powered by Beyerdynamic 53mm drivers. They are very comfortable, give you two sets of pads ( leatherette memory foam and extra velour ear cups) and a lot of free accessories . A great deal for €100 but an awesome deal for €75 right now, at Amazon Europe (in US, are as low as $60!).

The QPAD QH-90 and QH-85 are almost the same as Cloud's but, they have regular rubber cables and don't come with an extra set of ear cups.

A "Mod-mic" is a mic to attach to the headphones' exterior using a simple magnet and tape. No hardware mods required.

As Tacoboy said, the Takstar PRO 80 appear to be the same headphones as the QPAD QH-90 and HyperX Cloud without a mic but, I haven't tried the Takstars so, I can't say anything but, even if they sound the same, unless you get one for €50 or less, there's no point on buying it over the Clouds at €75, imo.

7. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Where did you read the Takstar or HyperX or Qpad use Beyerdynamic 53mm drivers?
    I've always thought the Takstars are designed on the outside to look like Beyers and just use some unknown OEM made in China parts.

8. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I'm just curious.. What makes them over priced? You can get Kraken's for $59 right now that sound pretty good. This is just the typical Razer hate. They are just fine. My GF has the Kraken 7.1's and they sound really good. If this guy doesn't listen to a $300 set of headphones,what does it matter? He won't know the difference. Krakens will sound great to him.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I guess it depends on where you're from and the local price of these cans. In my neck of the woods, the Kraken goes for >100 local currency, the HX Cloud cost a little more locally....and seriously, between these two, the HX Cloud has it all over the Kraken. When the Kraken Forge was released, I'd so wanted to get it because of its build quality, but that Razer signature sound - recessed mids and highs, overpowering bass killed it for me.

Speaking from experience as I'd gotten a used Razer Black Shark (higher model than the Kraken) because someone in another forum praised it to hell and high heaven for games and music. Man, the ~50USD I'd paid for it was a complete waste, I guess a basshead would like it, but music/games/movies isn't about da bass.

The HX Cloud has a tighter bass, it doesn't overwhelms the mids and highs, and while it's not as good as open cans like a HD555, ATH-AD700X or Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms (have them) for positional sound (the Cloud is better with bass since it's closed back), it easily beats the Black Shark I had (practically gave away that POS can). Even if the HX Cloud cost a little more than the Kraken, it's well worth it considering all the accessories that come with it. And yes, speaking from experience about the HX Cloud as I have one as well.
    [​IMG]