Crossfire r9 280x vs gtx 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DiceAir, Dec 4, 2014.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Hi there

So I'm pulling my hair out cause I'm experiencing issues with my r9 280x and I think it's to do how it handles my monitor. it's also a heat monster as gpu's goes to 88C sometimes. So I can sell my gpu's for about the same price as 1x GTX970. Although r9 280x is faster than gtx 970 it's all about the experience than the FPS and i still feel nvidia Giving you a better experience than amd. I just wanted to try out AMD cards for once but not sure if I should just hold on and start saving cash till the next cards comes out or upgrade now?

So I just want to know from you guys if it's a worthy upgrade or sort of a downgrade looking at smoothness, driver update, fps and power usage. In some games I don't get many issues. BF4 is one example where I can get 100fps but my refresh rate is 96Hz and I have vsync on. So don't understand that but I also don't want to "upgrade" with the intend of thinking the gtx970 might solve some issues and sit with same problem as I'm sitting now. We all know far cry 4 is Nvidia title but what I've heard even people with Nvidia cards struggling and maybe I should wait for game update. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and should just wait for new titles to come that makes better use of hardware. i can even wait for Next nvidia cards and then upgrade cause maybe that should give me closer to that 96fps with no aa in some games and 1 or 2 settings tuned down while using less power than my current cards.

So what do you guys think. should I do the upgrade or not. I know you guys can't make my decision yet but maybe someone has the same experience and can justify me the upgrade. Also another option is by getting gtx 970 now and 3-4 months from now get another and sli.

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    You'd be wasting money. Keep your cards. Wait at least to see how the new AMD "miracle" driver will be. I'm sure everything will be sorted eventually, you need to be patient that's all.

It would be silly to sell your cards because you're experiencing problems with an Ubisoft game...

With the money needed for sli 970's , i'd rather spend it on a freesync monitor when it releases, and have money to spare. In the mean time try a fresh driver install using DDU,if you haven't done that already.

3. IamGODobeyORdie

IamGODobeyORdie Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 780@SLI & GTX 780M
    I have a ITX system with a GTX 970, FC4 works reallly good. But I cant have all settings at Ultra, but the game looks really good anyway. Same with Shadow of Mordor, works fine, im using upscale to XHD resolution, with 30fps lock. No hicksups or slowdowns. But I would stay with the AMD cards, there will be better drivers and patches for the game for both brands. Just that Nvdias greedy gameworks system is just for getting more support and optimisations from ubisoft, who also are greedy with taking the nvidia road for money.Its cheating in a way....But i know earlier FC games have been bad using two cards for best performance? its lacking... I have same issues with my desktop with two 780 in SLI.. My 970 almost is better in games...?

4. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    A piece of my soul died after reading this.

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well at 1080P nVidia mode 1500/7800 it hovers around 70-72C load for FC4. Gets anywhere from 60-70fps on average and 40 at lowest, 80 on non dense areas so.. while people with dual cards may be having issues, game runs fine on single card mode.

New AMD drivers coming out soon, may/may not make a big boost but its your choice if you want to wait for those (next week?). You could wait for next gen cards but pretty sure nVidia's flagship will be at least $600 with the prices 980 is right now. AMD's card will also be coming out early next year so if you can/want to wait then I'd do it but as for the GTX 970, you're looking at 780/Titan performance at stock.. 780Ti/980 performance when OC'd for the price of $350~.

The 970 now and 970 later on is also a good idea, nVidia may or may not also release performance drivers for these so there is still a chance to squeeze out more performance.

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm just worried that my value on these cards might drop to much if i wait for to long and also don't want to side grade if you take price vs performance I have to pay extra. but for me these cards are very slightly okish like i mean only a handful of games works without many issues. Yes i know farcry 4 doesnn't run the best on both amd and nvidia also some other games doesn't work best. Now I can blow my opportunity soon. Now Actually I have the money to spend on 2x gtx 970's but I want to get 1 first and see if it's enough cause I feel having sli might cause issues an if I can manage with 1x gtx970 then it should be better for me power and optimization wise most of the time.

Oh also just one more thing. I feel I should just start saving now for maybe when Nvidia release next cards or amd's next cards to see if it should then clearly be enough to run 1440p with just one card without turning down many settings. I just get this feeling the whole time that 1440p is not enough and that Nvidia will release refreshed Maxwell GPU's like they did with kepler

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  7. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
  8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    ^ he meant his two 280x's are faster than a 970, not just one :) ...i hope.

9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yes talking about my r9280x crossfire vs 1x gtx 970

10. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Yeah missed the title and spec sheet, joys of posting sleepy. Definitely wait a little if you have cfx. New amd cards are surely on the way and like usual Ti versions of current nvidia cards once they do

11. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Lol I wish there was just a hint. BTW i removed 1 of my r9 280x and must say it works now better. The fps isn't as good but my smoothness is a lot better

12. Johnny Rook

Johnny Rook Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3Gb
    "Usual Ti versions?" You mean, the GTX 960Ti and GTX 950Ti?

//start off-topic
    Remember nVIDIA hasn't released a top-tier "Ultra" GPU (even wasn't "Ti") in 7 years! GTX 780Ti was the first since 2007/2008. And I'm not betting on a GTX 980Ti, even if the AMD R9 300 are 20% faster than GTX 900. I'm rather expecting a dual-GPU GTX 990 first. And if nVIDIA does release a GM110, it will be a new GTX series, just like it was with Kepler.
    // end off-topic

But yeah, although CF - or SLi -, having issues and a GTX 970 giving a smoother gaming experience, I would wait for the R9 300 series. Even if not expecting an huge improvement over 2x 280X CF, I would move to a similar performing single-GPU card

13. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Well you know how these things go. Once the 300 series is launched, Nvidia will announce their rebuttal and then you can make an informed decision about where you want to invest your money.

I have a 970 arriving today myself but I'm torn between keeping it for sli or returning it and waiting to see what shakes out this month. (money is not an issue, just uncertain what we can expect to be released soonish)