ps3 hdmi output to vga possible?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Bleakstar93, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Bleakstar93

Bleakstar93 Member

Hey guys,

I just want to start by saying that I realize this may be the wrong forum for this but I trust guru3d more than the console forums I've seen. I want to connect my ps3 to my vga monitor an d I was wondering if this would work: ps3 into hdmi (male-male) cable into (female) hdmi to dvi (male) adapter into dvi female to female adapter into dvi (male) to vga (female) adapter into monitor I realize this is alot of adapters but I couldn't come up with any other way to do it. Also, 2 other factors/questions will the monitor get confused by the hdmi audio input? And, will this even work with the crt's much lower dpi?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bleakstar93

Bleakstar93 Member

cmon anyone even willing to venture an opinion?

3. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    your monitor has to be HDCP compatible and for the audio output you can just use the optical cable.

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I doubt it will work as just looking around anything that will do this is around ~$150 or more, judging by that it would require more than just kludging the pins, i.e. signal conversion is probably required

As for the crt's lower dpi, hmm, dpi doesnt mean much in the world of analog signals, its entirely based on the maximum screen resolution possible for the crt @ 60Hz, i.e. it must support 1920x1080 @ 60hz for 1080p or 1440x720 @ 60Hz for 720p

Thats my 5 cent anyway :)

*EDIT* didnt catch the previous post, but i doubt that for playing games on a PS3 that the signal is encrypted requiring HDCP decryption, but again i wouldnt be sure

5. Bleakstar93

Bleakstar93 Member

Thanx guys. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

6. merebito

merebito New Member

7. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    HDMI cannot go to VGA using just a cable. HDMI only carries the digital signal. Unlike DVI-I (which is on most gfx cards) which carries both analog and digital. Using the adapters you mentioned you would end up with no signal on the other end, because nothing would be going into the analog pins.

The cable merebito mentioned is your best bet.