Bad router settings, or just a bad ISP?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Jason9875, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Ok, well ever since my upgrade to good internet (See you in hell direcway!) I have had issues with connecting to certain people, and servers over the internet.

Now none of these are really important things, just in game servers refuse me about 25% of the time, and over hamachi it's a crap shoot as to what friends I can and cannot connect to. To top it off, it seems the friends I can/can't connect to changes daily.

I can also not see 99.9999% of the servers in Steam games, like in CSS, only a total of 3 servers come through at times, although in this case I can connect to some of them via friends in Xfire.

I would also like to note that I have been using the same router with both ISP's (with direcway I never had an issue with talking to specific servers)

And the whois info on my IP, says its run by Qwest. If that makes a difference. (And the connection I assume is split up and sold via "DesertInet" to me and other people where I live.)

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    ADSL? It depends on the distance away from your exchange.

My Advice would be to ring up your ISP.

Set everything manually like in my networking guide. And make sure you don't have anything running that could be chewing bandwidth.

Any errors are also helpful.

3. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    If you do a tracert on your ISP what are the latency on pings for each IP on the route. Mine are usually around 24-26ms for 1.5MB/256KB ADSL1. Also in your networking settings for TCP/IP do you have your IP and DNS settings manually set. You may need to flush your DNS cache, type at comand prompt> "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes).

If you know how to use regedit you could do the following.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] To force Windows XP NOT to cache negative entries we need to add a new DWORD to the following Registry key:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
    \Services\Dnscache\Parameters
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] DWORD: MaxNegativeCacheTtl[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Value: 0[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] This will now ensure NO negative entries are stored.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] To force Windows XP to keep positive entries in DNS Cache for only 4 hours instead of the default 24 hours we need to apply the following change to the registry:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    Services\Dnscache\Parameters
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] DWORD: MaxCacheTtl[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Value: 14400[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] NB - make sure you enter the 14400 (seconds) as Decimal Base and NOT Hexadecimal Base![/FONT]

4. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Just the standered "Cannot connect to server" Errors when I well can't, and steam doesn't report an error when nothing but 3 servers show up in the server list.

Steam support points to the router for this issue, but seeing as how this router worked with my old ISP just fine I doubt it is my router's hardware, at most just a bad configurer. (me!)

Its a wireless service

I tried Tracert commands to a couple different servers, and my ISP. They all reported the first stop (my router) as <1MS, but the rest timed out.

Ill get to the rest of it after I sleep some.

5. warpspider

warpspider Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X 6600gt pci
    it sounds like your modem hasnt picked up the new dns servers from your new isp?
    goodluck