R9 280X To Be Silently Replaced In November ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32952-amd-working-on-r9-280x-with-tahiti-xtl-gpu

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think it would make many R9-280X owners annoyed if it were true, and not just say, a bios update.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm one of them, btw! It would be good to get clarification on this. Now there are rumours the revised chips will have TrueAudio as well, but still cost the same? If that part is true, I'd rather sell my card now before the value plummets - nobody will want a second hand R9-280x that hasn't got the XTL features, especially if the XTL has TrueAudio and runs cooler!

Now if the rumour is bull, and it really is just a bios update enabling some power saving features etc that wasn't quite ready for launch, then I'd be happy with that :).

I should point out that in reviews of existing R9-280X's, where the GPU is listed, they all say Tahiti XTL. Now, if this isn't the case, this will create a crapload more confusion because people may look up reviews of a certain card, see the 'Tahiti XTL' and think all is good, purchase it thinking they have the revised XTL when in fact they're getting the stock clearance XT2.

Look here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_280x_twinfrozr_gaming_oc_review,1.html
    (AMD RADEON R9 280X GPU (Tahiti XTL)

and here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_radeon_r9_280x_windforce_review,1.html
    (AMD RADEON R9 280X GPU (Tahiti XTL)

just for example, but the same goes on every other review where they state what Tahiti revision it is.

Maybe Hilbert will have to do some review editing...

I would post links for other examples from other sites, but I don't feel like listing just about every R9-280X review out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    280x Ti :D

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There's one issue with this: memory controller. Didn't they say themselves that it's not designed to run highly clocked GDDR5 (even if castrated to 384-bit width)? Or will they keep 4GB but run lower clocks?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    just rumors

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's the memory controller got to do with a revised core?

280x is 384bit 3GB anyway not 4GB...:3eyes:

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I did some looking around at different VGA bioses for the 280X, and found the following:

NO REFERENCE to Tahiti XTL:
    Asus R9 280X DC II TOP
    Asus R9 280X Matrix
    Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce OC

SPECIFICALLY STATES Tahiti XTL:
    HIS R9 280X IceQ X2 Turbo (TAHITI XTL PCIE 3G/384B GDDR5 DLDVI-I/HDMI)
    HIS R9 280X IceQ X2 Boost (TAHITI XTL PCIE 3G/384B GDDR5 DLDVI-I/HDMI)
    MSI R9 280X (Gaming) (113-MSITV277MS.314 TAHITI B0 XTL C38650 GDDR5 3GB)
    MSI R9 280X (TF Gaming) (113-MSITV277MS.302 TAHITI B0 XTL C38650 GDDR5 3GB)

MIXED REFERENCE:
    Sapphire R9 280X (VaporX) (Tahiti B0 XT2_XTL C38650 GDDR5 3GB 500e/150m)

So, if the rumour is correct in respect to only being able to tell by the bios, it would suggest some brands already have the XTL chip, and other brands are using rebranded XT2 chips.

Interestingly enough ;) straight from the Guru3D reviews!
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_r9_280x_iceq_x2_turbo_review,9.html

Look at the idle temp and load temp of the cards that have Tahiti XTL in the bios (HIS R9-280x IceQ X2 Turbo, MSI R9-280x Gaming) compared to those that don't reference Tahiti XTL (Asus R9-280X DCII Top, Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce OC).

The HIS and MSI cards with Tahiti XTL bios reference: (1050/1050)
    Idle: 30C, 30C
    Load: 62C, 68C

The Asus (with that fancy new cooler) and Gigabyte without the Tahiti XTL reference: (1070/1100)
    Idle: 31C, 34C
    Load: 69C, 75C

Could just be coincidence that the ones with the Tahiti XTL reference run cooler :) True, the Asus and Gigabyte are clocked slightly higher, but this wouldn't account for the temp differences.

Another interesting aspect is that although the Asus and Gigabyte are clocked higher, and the Asus having the RAM as 1600 MHz instead of 1500 MHz, their performance results are almost identical to each other... Although the clocks are very similar, I would have though the Asus and Gigabyte nudge forward a bit more than they have. In fact, the Asus, despite being clocked 20 MHz higher and 100 MHz on the RAM, is fractionally slower than the lower clocked HIS and MSI. Only the Gigabyte gets ever so fractionally ahead in some tests (remember clocked 50 MHz higher), but you also have to remember the Gigabyte runs significantly hotter, by 4C at idle up to 13C under load.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Could also be to do with higher clocks on DCII and WF. Anyway Tahiti is still Tahiti whichever way you look at it.......

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

True :) I was thinking that, which is why I looked into it further and re-edited the post. The higher clocks do not represent higher performance, it's almost as if they need that extra clock speed to make up for a slight deficit in performance...

It's probably just coincidence, but the fact remains the HIS and the MSI specifically state Tahiti XTL in the bios.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ffs I can't believe they're still using Elpida chips.....

12. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Why do I think this is gonna fall under the radar.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Probably true! It could just be that there is a bios update coming out and it was misreported, or in fact some brands don't already have Tahiti XTL and will be getting them as a running update later. As I said in my earlier post, I truly believe that at least HIS and MSI are using the Tahiti XTL chip. The article specifically states that you can only tell by the bios, and the bios of the HIS and MSI specifically state Tahiti XTL :).

14. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Sapphire 280X Toxic uses the XTL chip already, I think.

15. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    The solution to this is simple. Burn the fker out and RMA it. It would serve them right for pulling a stunt like that. Having said that, it's probably a non-issue.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Well, seems mine claims in the bios that it is a Tahiti XTL, just like Stealballs's 280x's as discussed in this thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=382843

So the rumour is probably a load of bull, or it's possible that HIS and MSI are using XTL's and Asus and Gigabyte etc are using XT2's currently...

The fact mine says Tahiti XTL specifically in the bios, as discussed (it's missing from Asus and Gigabyte) I guess I can assume I do have XTL and the other rumours of things like TrueAudio is just crap. Like Stealballs said, the MSI and HIS do run really cool and quiet already.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Did I read it too quickly (I can be pretty damn selective at times...)? I somehow got this impression that it was about castrated 290 chips.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The story was about 280x chips, which are effectively an update rebranded HD7970 GHz edition chip. The rumour was that the current R9-280x's are direct rebrands of the HD7970 GHz, whereas the updated R9-280X's (Tahiti XTL) will use a slightly updated chip (supposedly basically the equivalent of a new CPU stepping). There were rumours of TrueAudio etc, but I believe that to be complete and utter bull.

It appears though that at least some brands of R9-280X's use the Tahiti XTL's straight out, like my HIS and Stealballs MSI's. It is possible however that not all R9-280x's use these chips currently... I said possibility, if there is any shred of truth about this rumour then I see this as the most likely scenario.

They say mid November you will see the cards right? Geez, they pumped out a crapload of GPU's in just a month, right? no lol.

19. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    So does anyone have the "new" revision yet?

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

My card's bios says Tahiti XTL, so yes? Lol