Cold boot, low performance. Warm boot, great performance? Help?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Aura89, May 12, 2017.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So i'm dealing with something odd, something i have never experienced or heard of before, but when i cold boot my machine, in games i have pretty bad performance.

Now, i have really only tested this out in one game, and will do some more tests soon to see if it's only one game. But i very much doubt it would be. That game is Playerunknown's battleground.

If i do a cold boot and go into that game, my performance is 24fps, solid. Does not matter if i am in the menu or game, it is 24fps. Does not matter if i restart the game, it is 24fps.

But if i do a warm boot, aka restart my computer without shutting down, which i have been doing because of this problem the moment i get to my windows login screen the first time i boot, within the menu i get around 140fps, and in game i get anywhere between 50-110fps.

To test it out and see if it truly was a cold boot issue, i shut down my PC and the moment i could turn it back on, i did, and i still had the issue. I only do not have the issue if i reset it.

You can see all of my components on my profile, i don't believe anything is missing.

Anyone have any clue why this might be happening? I have tried to research it, and mostly came up with a bios setting in gigabyte motherboards. I don't have a gigabyte motherboard though....

I will try and do some tests with some other games soon.

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    IRQ conflict on cold boot maybe. Is your sound card and graphics card using the same IRQ
    on cold boot ?

3. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    'cold boot' would imply fast startup is used because you have shut the machine down.

'warm boot' would imply it isn't, because you have used the restart command.

4. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    Just curious. Are you running Windows 10? If yes try turning off Fast Startup from the power setting under Choose what the power button does and uncheck the Turn on fast startup.

Apparently with Windows 10, when you have fast startup on and when you shut down the computer, it goes on a semi-hibernation which is why it is booting up faster. With it off, then Windows will boot up normal.

The only time Fast Startup is not running is when you 'RESTART' the computer hence maybe why your fps jumps back to normal and not during initial startup.

This only apply to Windows 10 so if you're running Windows 7 then I'm not sure then.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Aura89 you will find some useful information here on this thread - http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/14720 - Some people suffer from it some others do not. In my rig i'm lucky and i do not suffer from the cold boot bug. It is a Bios bug present in Asus CH 6 Hero and affects some people only.

Good luck Aura89 , i hope you get your problem solved soon. If not just wait a few more days as the new Bioses from Asus based on the new Agesa code are coming.

Regards: Chispy

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just did this and shut my PC down, started it back up, went into PUBG, and got great performance. So it seems this was the issue, thanks!

Oddly enough my boot seems to be the same speed, if it's not, it's only not by like...a couple seconds.

I always disable fast startup and hibernation, even on my consoles, as they always give me problems, surprised i missed this one!

Thank everyone else for your input as well! and chispy, will keep an eye on it, i am on the latest bios which did fix many of my boot "issues".

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Another thing might want to try is disabling the fast startup bios setting. The setting exists on the Prime X370. Bootracer did not even show a difference with it off or on so I left it off.