FPS capped in Windowed Mode

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by ManicFreak, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ManicFreak

ManicFreak New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8600GT 256MB DDR3
    VSync can't be turn off in Windowed Mode

Hi, I have a little problem with the FPS capped at the refresh rate in windowed mode for a particular game. There is no hard-coded FPS cap for the game as the game hit over 300+ FPS in fullscreen mode. Also, each time I raise the refresh rate (when the game is in windowed mode), the FPS will hit the uppermost limit (60FPS w/ 60Hz, 70FPS w/ 70Hz, 85FPS w/ 85Hz, etc).

I have tried forcing VSync off Globally and Per Application in nVidia Control Panel as well as in Rivatuner - Driver Setting - DD & D3D Settings. From what I understand, when the game is in windowed mode, the OS takes over the VSync setting. Is there anyway to obtain maximum FPS in windowed mode through changes in registry or downloading an app, or is that impossible, or I didn't look at it hard enough?

I have google the web and search most of the tech forums for the past few days and gotten no answer from reading. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, latest Forceware driver 181.22, and 8600GT. I appreciate any answer I can get just to get this problem off my mind, thanks.

Edit: I have another system with an ATI card + Windows XP and it removes the cap when I enable "Force VSync (Vista workaround)" in the Game Profiles. Is there a similar option in rivatuner for a nvidia card? And I reckon D3DOverrider is only for Force On?

To summarize, is there an option in RivaTuner, D3DOverrider, or any program similar to ATT's "Force VSync (Vista workaround)" forcing VSync off.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009