Somewhat infuriating Fury

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ApolloKT133, Mar 25, 2016.

1. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hi,

I’m new here so I’ll do a short introduction.

I played Pong on an oscillation monitor when it came out, I sold all my original Kenner Star Wars toys to own a VideoPac G7000. On the list of computers I owned is a ZX Spectrum 48K, Commodore 64 and Amiga 500. I took a break after that but came back in the game with AMD Thunderbird procs with which I build my first of many rigs. TeamViewer says that I service 20+ PC’s and laptops, most of them I build. I’m an AMD guy, I gave up on them after the FX6300, I clocked that proc to a higher state of Zen but that was the last of my AMD adventures.

Now I’m ready to give up on ATI, last summer I spend an arm and a leg to own the Fury card and it has made me miserable ever since Fallout 4 came out. I’ve played TF2 without troubles and Elite Dangerous with only the Supercruise bug being a hassle.

This is the first time I cannot get my kit to run smoothly, yes I have thought of sending it back even smashing it with a hammer on YouTube but I’m not there yet.

My specs are listed, I’ll provide more kit specs and settings as needed.
    Not listed is that it connects with the original DP cable.
    The proc is not overclocked, notable BIOS settings are fast boot is enabled, the rest is standard.

What do I need?

I need a new baseline first; I always ran it with Afterburner for tweaks and nothing else.
    Now I have Radeon Settings just to disable power savings but alas it crashes again.
    When I say crash I mean it clocks itself to death, the lights on the card go out and it’s no longer seen by Windows.
    Current remedy is to switch off, unplug power from the PC, unplug power cables form card, boot on build in VGA, shut down, replug VGA power cables, turn on and pray.

I’ve been through the motions by trying ULPS settings in Afterburner and then Clockblocker and then the power saving option in the latest drivers. You guessed it, CRASH!
    And now the 2D screen corruption is also back with the 16.3.1…

Also I suspect the Vsync to act up, I managed to game for some time with the Borderless/Windowed setting. One thing I want to try is to use Radeon Settings to lock framerate ate 60FPS (if that fix is still a thing)
    >>> Tried this, still crashes 5 minutes ingame.

I can fix this but need to reach a stable state to start with so please, fire away and thanks in advance!

Ps. the card runs stock and FO is unmodded (God knows I want to but I’ll take stable stock ate this point)

Pps. my current Radeon Settings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Sometimes is good to Turn-Off shader cache.
    Texture Quality set to Highest
    And give Tesselation Max to x8/x16 no need for more ;-)
    Rest is OK
    Try to look here -> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398484

PS. Not only RP is there :D

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Fallout 4 crashing (I assume you mean it black-screen freezes the PC, aka the GPU crashes.) is pretty well reported with the Crimson drivers, a few other games have that issue as well.

Personally I keep the shader cache off as I don't fully trust it to update properly, (It only really affects the load times as well and possibly initial startup time as that's when shaders are usually compiled.) Bethesda changes the shader files with pretty much every update and I'd recommend deleting the existing AMD cache file(s) and letting it rebuild from scratch if you intend to use the setting.
    (They're in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AMD and then a DXCache folder, there's a GLCache as well for OpenGL but you can't control the cache settings for that API it seems.)

That new 16.3 Power option I've disabled as well and from what I've checked with Afterburner it does keep a stable 1000 Mhz continually so I keep Clockblocker off for now although I've never had any issues with CB besides it sometimes continuing to block downclocking after closing the game but restarting Clockblocker always solved that.

With Afterburner I only keep hardware monitoring on for adjusting the GPU fan curves as this particular Fury Tri-X model or what it was called has a tendency to go for noise over performance so usually fan speeds sit at the 30% range until temps ramp up near the target limit of 85 degrees whereas I'm not overly sensitive to fan noise so now I keep the fans at a 50% min speed (GPU rarely reaches 55c now which is a good improvement.) and then gradually ramp it up from there depending on temps.
    (Why the eff did AMD remove the fan settings from Fury GPU's in CCC/CNext? Who knows but now you can only set a target temp instead which isn't as good so Afterburner has helped a lot with that.)

Not using RadeonSettings myself as it's mostly just a easier way to add or edit the existing registry keys which I can do myself so I don't really know much about how that software works but if you know what you are editing it should be perfectly safe.

DDU to completely clean out the old display drivers might be helpful as well, I only really use it from major GPU driver revisions such as when this driver series went from CCC to CNext with Crimson or the recent switch from the 15.xxx driver number to 16.xxx with the Vulkan driver branch being integrated into I think it was 16.2 or somewhere around that.

As for game settings well for the games I had issues with borderless mode or windowed worked better than fullscreen to avoid that annoying crash issue but it's not a 100% fix, downsampling or similar situations that stress the GPU more are also more likely to cause a crash from what I've experienced but I do not know what exactly triggers it to happen though I did suspect the downclocking being part of it if it adjusts voltage and such too in addition to core clock speeds and then the GPU becomes unstable but if so the power saving option in 16.3 or Clockblocker should have solved that but it can still occur though less often so it's something else in the drivers and not just power related.

AMD will have to fix it properly in a future driver I suspect, hopefully without having to BIOS update affected GPU's such as the 390's, Fury/FuryX and Nano but we'll see what they can track the issue down to actually being or how to say.
    (That and the screen corruption issue really should be highest priority issues for things to fix but for that issue it's been there since the Fury was released and though I haven't encountered it in some time now it's still a problem for many other Fury and FuryX owners so it's not yet completely fixed.)

EDIT: Oh and if you do overclock via Afterburner then having a startup delay set for it might help too to let AMD's software load up first and then have Afterburner load after that, although from what I've read this was mostly for a error where the GPU would crash upon boot and not related to general stability while gaming so it might not help with this problem.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can you actually find system log for crash? Is it due to AMD library, game library, HW throwing towel?
    You should find details.
    If it is due to conflict between Driver and FO4. It may be because at time AMD released FO4 optimizations, FO4 had very big update breaking them. Maybe you can try to download FirePro beta driver package as it is now based on same 16.3 driver, but differs in some things.

For fps limiter I use Afterburner as it comes with RivaTunerStatisticsServer and that is acting as good framerate limiter.

5. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks for the feedback :)

I've turned off shader cache, looks useful but I'll do without it for now.
    Did some reading up on tesselation and will put that on 8x.
    That Tweaks&Tips topic of yours is mouthwatering and I want to try everything in it after I get this stable.

I'll give it a spin like this and will report back.

6. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks! I added some reply in the quote.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah AMD Crimson does provide some really nice performance gains and ditching the .Net driven CCC for QT5 CNext has really made it much more responsive but it's not without issues and hopefully it'll be sorted sooner rather than later with new drivers though AMD does seem to have quite a bit of work laid out for them both with the overhauled display drivers and then there's support for DirectX 12 and Vulkan and the DX11 code could do with a overhaul too but I guess they'll focus on D3D12 and Vulkan primarily.
    (The early DirectX 12 games haven't exactly been problem free either but that's usually how it is with new API's early on before developers get used to working with them.)

Must be pretty tough to replicate some of the reported problems for AMD as well but the drivers are improving little by little at least, I haven't had too many issues myself although there's been some display driver crashes with the earlier Crimson drivers and then there's the screen corruption thing and whatever is causing that.
    (Hopefully a fix for this problem with Fallout 4 won't be too far off, as mentioned in a above post AMD did fix several other issues with their drivers and this game previously but patches with changes such as new Gameworks effects via HBAO+ and perhaps other changes too might mean that it needs to be revised again in a future driver release.)

And then there's Crossfire support but that's a whole different matter though still a important one of course. :)

(Come to think of it AMD is probably busy with prepping Polaris as well now.)

EDIT: There's also unlisted fixes such as Ubisoft confirming that 16.3.1 is fixing a problem with Far Cry Primal and certain AMD GPU's crashing in the snowy regions in that game.
    (Some of the 300 series GPU's if I remember it right.)

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sounds like hardware to me. RMA the card.

9. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Sigh, things where going so well :(

Fallout was being a good boy with the changed Radeon Profile settings.
    Did not OC it yet but played up to 2 hours without problems, one crash after 1 hour and entering a very crowded Mass Fusion Building lobby.

And then I fired up TF2 for a casual clanmatch, crashed in 5 minutes, hard clocked to death and that was it.
    I cannot reanimate it anymore as described above, even popped out the whole card but no.

I'm done, I'll do some searching for other methods but this piece of <no, stay civilized> this faulty hardware goes back to its maker.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If it died entirely then it seems PrMinisterGR was correct in how it was likely a faulty GPU, unfortunate but it does happen and hopefully you will get a full RMA and/or refund for it from the retailer. :)

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You were unlucky, sometimes it happens. Make sure you are within your RMA period, and you will surprised at how many good games you can play with the iGPU in the meantime :)

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yeah tf2 should still be playable on your iGPU. And if you still want 60fps with your IGPU on tf2, try this.

http://clugu.com/tf2mate/

13. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks for the feedback, it's frustrating to see it can work but just doesn't when you need it to.
    Ah well, I've got my 290 back from my understanding nephew and will ship the Fury back.

14. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    Have you tried increasing the power limit? I increased my power limit to 30%,

also, do not have any overlays running, such as Fraps fps counter, which has the small fps counter in the corner.. Fraps little overlay caused havoc with my Fury after a few hours for some reason.. Fraps overlay gave massive screen corruption after about 6 hrs of Unigine Heaven burn in and general use. After I closed out Fraps fps counter it ran fine continuously for hours and I've had no issues since playing BF4 and StarWars BattleFront and Archeage.

15. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks for that, I do not run any overlays except Steam (which never gave me problems).

To pre-cap the situation.
    The rig has a fresh install yet last night I had many blackouts where the screen goes black but everything stays lit. Only a case reset worked.
    Blackouts occured minutes after booting to the desktop, it did not matter what I was doing.
    This morning I DDUéd everything again and installed only the basic drivers and Afterburner. In Afterburner I changed only the fancontrol setting.
    It still crashed but now the card fans spin like crazy after the reset.
    So now I run the basic drivers and nothing else, it's stable (knocks on wood repeatedly).

I have to adult today so I'll post up tonight how gaming goes

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

16. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Allright, this is getting a bit silly.
    It ran everything all day Office, other apps, no problem.
    Around 5 it started with one crash and then it just got worse and worse, one after the other.

I never get a dump file btw, not even a small one.
    One time it captured a Ati recover event but nothing else.
    Bios reported to me twice that surge protection was activated, I thought that was just because of the many reboots.

Now I'm thinking I should get a new PSU just in case, I can always use a spare PSU if that's not it.
    Right now I'm running on the iGPU, no problem whatsoever.

17. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    I guess your using the new drivers version 16.3.2

Also, looking at your previous post, my Radeon Settings page doesnt look the same as yours.. The look somewhat the same but mines a little different..

Are you running the AMD uninstaller in Control Panel/Uninstall Programs and then use CCC?

turn off all monitoring software even afterburner, turn off the AMD gaming app thing also if your running it...

The next time it does it, unplug the hdmi or display port cable and plug it back in and see if the display comes back..

My first fury card would just give me black screens at the windows login screen and I had to RMA it, it was a Gigabyte Fury.. My second card is a Sapphire Nitro Fury and I had the issue with Fraps overlay conflicting with the drivers and it would crash.. After I stopped using Fraps fps counter its been running pretty good so far, knock on wood...

These Fury cards have issues that AMD wont admit too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  18. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thanks for the tips, did not pop the cable yet, I'll try if it happens again.
    An hour ago I popped in a new Corsair RM750x PSU and connected the 290 again.
    I'm sort of holding my breath here, it has the full AMD package ex Gaming Evolved and it has not crashed yet.
    I changed nothing except activating Overdrive to look at the clocks.
    Steam is downloading the Doom closed beta, would be a good bloodfest of a test :)

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I was going to say you had power issues related to the PSU or MB capacitors going bad. After 4-5 years of daily use, a cheap PSU is really at its limit especially with any power surges.

Your new PSU should be a good unit for the power hungry AMD GPUs. Also, OC your cpu to get more out of it. AMD GPUs need a FAST cpu to really make it shine.

20. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yes, maybe i'm jinxing it now but I tested the 290; I played Fallout, did office work, 3DMark no problem.
    So I got frisky and popped the Fury card back in and untill this moment it works.
    I left the game profiles untouched so this is what it runs on now, turned off shader cache and power efficiency (sic!) settings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016