Upgrade path - need advice

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Olorin, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Hi there,

Okay, so let me explain what happened. My kid brother flipped the 110V switch (I'm 220v) which fried most of my components. I had an Intel Ivybridge 3570 CPU.

So I go to the nearest PC shop and the guys want to sell my a Haswell 4590 CPU with motherboard (Asus, basic spec, as I'm on a budget). Paid for the goods, ready to collect until a friend of mine tells me that the Haswell chip is already a generation old.

WTF. Apparently there is a Skylake chip out. I'm not a PC component guru, so I'm not up to date with this stuff.

Anyways, my friend tells me that the i5 6600 is the CPU I need to get. There is a minimal charge. They are recommending the basic Asus motherboard for me (forgot the model).

Now my question is - is the new Skylake CPU (i5 6600) a decent improvement over my previous i5 3570? Are there improvements over the Haswell CPU? I just want to know what kind of improvement I could expect.

My GPU is a Radeon 5850 and I know it's old, will upgrade soon, but I have to get my PC working. So I wanted to find out if the i5 6600 is a good move as far as keeping my system up to current standards. Yes/no?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Same clock speeds its maybe up to ~15-20% faster depending on the application. Will be minimal improvements in games due to 5850 until you upgrade.

If the price is small get the 6600

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You had a power supply with a voltage selection switch? I haven't seen that for a very long time, I didn't even know anyone still made them even five years ago. I'd say it was probably not a very good PSU, you're probably lucky it lasted long enough as it was.

4. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Yeah, it was a 750W PSU, I think someone seriously ripped me off when they sold it to me about 5 years ago.

So I replaced the PSU with a 450W unit (Corsair) as apparently the new CPU's use very little power. Hope I'll be okay with that.

In terms of responsiveness, loading times in games, browsing Windows 10 etc, you reckon the new 6600 will be a noticeable upgrade compared to my previous 3570?

The thing is, I really don't want to be a generation behind if I'm upgrading my CPU. The salesrep wanted to sell me a Haswell and I would have been none the wiser had my friend not mentioned the Intel Skylake CPU's to me.

5. blahsaysblah

blahsaysblah Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    The person that sold you the i5-4590 did you a favor as long as you were passed along the savings.

I recently upgraded from a Q6600@3Ghz to i7-4790k and then went back because the one i got was only good at 4.5GHz w/o too much heat.

Anyway, as far as boot time and app responsiveness. Yes i noticed a bit of a difference. But after a week, it wasn't that special. Now that I'm back on the Q6600, i don't really miss it. It's not like things are slow at all, even on my 3.0Ghz Q6600 from Christmas 2007.

Are you doing Android development and stuck with a ****ty single threaded VM, that was still pegged at 100% CPU for "only" 55 seconds at start. Otherwise, meh. Compiling a ton of code. You need more cores to build faster.

If you can afford a 980, worry about CPU for games. Otherwise, have 8GB RAM (16GB wont be an absolute waste, 8GB is fine) and an SSD. An ok CPU and just worry about getting good GPU.

See if you can access a Micro Center store near you.

Dont buy fast memory unless you plan on using the integrated GPU on CPU. It hasnt made any difference for many many years on Intel. (Including my DDR2 RAM based system) Neither has basically DDR2 vs DDR3 vs DDR4.

2x8GB DDR3 sticks for ~$80, $50-100 for 1150 socket mobo you like on newegg.com
    $160 for i5-4590 from Microcenter or $210 for a Xeon E3-1231v3(basically i7 w/o GPU) for future proofing.

6. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Basically there is a R800 difference in price (about $60) between the Haswell solution and the Skylake.

The thought of spending all this money on a last generation product kind of makes me feel ill. I have 8 gb of memory (sorry, I haven't updated my profile in a long time).

I do play games, but only occasionally. Have an SSD drive as my primary. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Skylake CPU's are far more energy efficient, so will also be cooler, fan speeds won't be as loud?

My main concern is that I don't plan on upgrading the CPU/motherboard in the 3-5 years, so I figure it makes sense to consider the newest generation.

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I bought my i7 4790k knowing it was best for z97 and the newest so would recommend doing the same get the newest as it will give you more
    upgrade options later due to newer mainboard

8. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    So I eventually decided on the Haswell i5 4590 CPU afterall. The difference in price between it and the i5 6600 was a bit more than I was prepared to spend.

Did some research too and found that the i5 6600 offers marginal improvements in speed, not enough to warrant the added expense, especially for my application.

9. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    why not take i5 4590k??

i5 4590k, z97 mobo, 2 stick ddr3 still enough power to take advantage skylake and also have friendly price right now:)

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    There is no 4590k that I am aware of. 4690k is what your thinking.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As ---TK--- stated, there is no i5 4590K. There's an i5 4590 and i5 4590T. Unless he plans to overclock, there's no point in a "K" processor anyway.

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    So I ended up paying less than I thought to get the i5 6600 and Gigabye H110-DS2 motherboard.

Machine is still at the shop, they told me I can collect over the weekend. However I asked them if the CPU fan is kicking in immediately from boot (which wasn't happening when I tried the Haswell/Asus motherboard). They said the same thing is happening with the new equipment.

Furthermore the guy is saying it's normal. That doesn't sit well with me. It can't be normal for the CPU fan to move a little, stop, move a little, stop, then move full speed ahead (makes a loud rushing noise) then normalises after 4-5 seconds.

I bought a Corsair VS450 power supply, which is on the low side of things, but it can't be the power supply right? Machine wouldnt turn on if that were the case.

13. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Sorry if I'm dumb here, but what is the difference between the i5 6600 and the 6600k? I've got the 6600 (non-k).

14. somersetmartin

somersetmartin Guest

GPU:
    sapphire 7970x2
    k refers to unlocked chip multipliers and the like better for clocking

15. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    read the post above me for what it means, but with the 6600 the only overclocking that is possible is changing BCLK

16. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Okay, so I have an issue, or at least what I think is an issue.

I'm noticing the CPU fan is getting busy, spinning very quickly even when there isn't much activity.

If I'm playing Witcher 3 at 1440p, sure after 30 minutes or so it ramps up, but when I exist from the game the fan dies down, almost silent.

Then, when I rebooted into my bios, even when nothing is happening, I can notice the CPU fan steadily increasing the fan speed. Until it gets to (I think) it's maximum.

The CPU temperatures show 40-43 deg. Fan speed at 1000rpm-1100 rpm. Clock speed at 3800-3900 Mhz. Not sure why the CPU fan would be speeding up even in a bios menu. Happened every time I've gotten into my bios.

I thought CPU fan would speed up only under load.

17. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Anyone?

If there any hints or tips to make sure everything is working properly please let me know. I'm a noob here.