Defrag and compact Windows registry?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by HonoredShadow, Mar 4, 2014.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I'm using this combination od programs for years, about once a month in this order:

1). Free Window Registry Repair 2.8
    download link: http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=57384&t=0&i=1
    ...for cleaning garbadge/leftover keys from Windows Registry, it's much, much better than CCleaner Registry clean option and it's 100% safe, I can guarantee you for that.

2). Free Registry Defrag&Compact v.3.00
    download link: http://download.registry-clean.net/download/registry-defrag.exe
    ...for compacting & defragmenting Windows Registry.

Both of them are perfectly safe for WinXP 32bit & Win7 32/64 bit, tested them both on thousands of rigs. I had tested them few times on Win8/8.1 64bit also but I can't be 100% sure that they are perfectly safe for Win 8/8.1.

Before using them be sure to:
    1). stop anti-virus you are using
    2). stop all unnecessary processes/programs in background (automatic HDD defragmentation, Skype, screensaver, programs like TuneUpUtilities if you are usign them...etc) that could interfere with above programs.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    You all notice ms does not have those ! If you are needing this? I would reinstall .ms supply a way to keep your existing content (yes even XP user)just make sure you disable firewall ,anti-virus and meet prior to updating everything !once done?restart till all update are done then re-enable meet,antivirus,and firewall and deep scan using defender (or what ever you use!better way ?ask ms how to get all update and how to update offline!

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't think it makes any difference to performance cleaning the registry and you have a good chance of breaking Windows by running registry cleaners

Personally if you want all old installation keys removed fully, use a decent uninstaller that hunts every key of the program you're uninstalling and removes them there and then

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I consider most of the stuff people do cleaning registry as time wasters most "errors" these things find are orphan entries that have no effect on performance.Mostly for the OCD crowd.

6. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

It does makes a difference in terms of performance, but it depends on that how much is Windows registry full of unused keys. Believe me, I do that almost every day on lot of rigs here where I work. When you manage to clean, defrag & compact bloated Windows 7 x64 registry on some rig where that Win7 x64 was installed years ago from let's say 150MB to 80MB it does make a difference in terms of performanse, you can feel it clearly that rig/Windows is more or less snappier.

Also I use uninstaller programs like Revo and similar, but they are no perfect, not a single one of them, no doubt about that. Just use above mentioned Free Window Registry Repair 2.8 to see how much garbage and leftover keys are left in Windows Registry from earlier uninstalled programs, Windows Updates...etc.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

--
    Registry cleaners also claim to optimize your registry, defragmenting it for faster file access. At first, this sounds great — your registry is constantly being used, so surely defragmenting it will offer improvements in speed, right?

Wrong. Or, at least, not really. The registry is loaded into your computer’s RAM when it starts, so you won’t see faster registry performance as a result of this.

If you really want to defragment your registry, you don’t need a registry cleaner. Microsoft offers an official PageDefrag utility for Windows XP. Windows 7 or Vista users will need an unofficial utility like Auslogics Registry Defrag. Auslogics Registry Defrag dramatically overpromises the imperceptible performance boosts you’ll get from running it, but at least it doesn’t tamper with your registry. And at least it’s free.

Use one of these utilities if you want. But I’ll warn you now: You won’t see a difference in performance.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/registry-cleaner-difference/

----
    The Reality

In reality, registry entries aren’t a drag on your computer’s performance. The registry is a massive database containing hundreds of thousands of entries and individual registry entries are fairly ****** Even removing a few thousand entries won’t make an appreciable dent in the size of your registry.

Now, if our computers only had a tiny amount of memory or an extremely slow hard disk, there could be some value to shrinking the registry a bit. But this will be completely unnoticeable on computers in use today. We don’t live in the days of Windows 95 anymore. The Windows registry has also become more robust as Windows itself evolved from Windows 95 to Windows 7 and 8.

Windows just isn’t getting confused and slowing down because you have a folder (known as a “key” in registry parlance) dedicated to an uninstalled program in your registry. It also isn’t getting confused because certain entries point to an outdated program.

No legitimate benchmarks showing a performance increase as a result of a registry cleaner have ever been released. If a registry cleaner offered boosted performance, we would have some benchmarks by now. It’s anecdotal evidence, but the majority of our readers didn’t find that registry cleaners helped improve their performance on modern computers, either.

http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-using-a-registry-cleaner-wont-speed-up-your-pc-or-fix-crashes/
    --
    Just a couple of many examples you will find with a quick Google

8. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

You had clearly made your oppinion about that, I have mine. I don't judge on some things I had found googling around if I don't try them myself. Many rigs had passed through my hands in all these years behind me, experience with them clearly is telling me that my statement about using programs I've mentioned above is no placebo effect, especially on rigs with highly bloated Windows registry.

Just one example: rig highly bloated with viruses, spywares... After cleaning that rig with anti-virus & anti-spyware programs in some cases in Windows registry startup section there are still more or less registry keys leftowers from these viruses, spywares... pointing to some non existent programs/files on HDD/SSD. When trying to start/load these programs/files with registry key pointing to them Windows is wasting time needed for startup, popping with error messages that some startup files don't exist anymore...etc. When you use programs like Free Window Registry Repair 2.8 to clear all unneeded keys left from viruses/spywares pointing to their non exixtant files on HDD/SSD (if anti-virus and anti-spyware programs had failed to clear everything from registry) Windows will clearly load faster. When you do something like that on some rig like I did many times before then you can clearly see the difference.

One thing I agree with you and all these stuff you had found googling: in normal contitions, on propperly maintained rigs/OS's without too much bloated Windows registry you can't see any difference after cleaning/defraggling/compacting registry. But when some rig is in a total mess, full of viruses, spywares with Windows registry double sized than normal because of that than with propperly cleaned/deffraged/compacted registry strory about Windows registry is something completely different...

I'm using Free Window Registry Repair 2.8 and Free Window Registry Repair 2.8 about once a month just because I like perfection, not that I need to to use them, my rigs are viruse/spyware free, tuned and maintained regularly and these two programs aren't doing much in terms of performance on my rigs, bu as I sad before I like things to be perfect, if some registry keys are in no use anymore I don't want them there anymore.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol well obviously if you have an infected machine, removing the registry entries from the viruses is gonna help

We're not talking about infected machines, that's like comparing giving medicine to a sick person and then suggesting giving same medicine to a healthy person is going to do them the same good

Normal non infected Windows registry with normal orphan entries = healthy person

10. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Much appreciated for the info guys. Is its still worth at least using CCleaner now and again?

11. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

We are talking about Windows Registry in general, bloated or not with unneeded keys left from previously uninstaled/removed programs, games, visuses, spywares...

Let people here decide if they need above mentioned programs based on our experiences with programs like that. You have your oppinion about that based on your assumptions and google, I have my own oppinion based on my own experience.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    CCleaner is great for removing temp files if you want to clean your machine up that way, just watch what you select as it can remove just about everything temp including cookies and other things you might want to keep from browsers and other installed programs

13. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    To OP, also if you want to clean more with CCleaner use regularly updated Winapp2.ini from: http://www.winapp2.com/Winapp2.ini ...just copy it to CCleaner install dir, start CCleaner and check Cleaner >> Applications section, you'll be supprised :) But DON'T check all options, especially those that you don't understand!

But after using Winapp2.ini it will take much more time for CCleaner to clean all garbage from (especially) HDD. In that case use: Trim.bat ...from: http://www.winapp2.com/trim.bat ...to trim all unneeded options and CCleaner will be fast again and still expanded by that trimmed Winapp2.ini

My 2 cents...

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Bit of a gimmick tbh, but it's a moot point anyway since SSD's don't need defragging. CCleaner is handy though for deleting temp files etc

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i clean my registry every week. (its part of the maintenance for me since it def helps).
    I use ccleaner and tuneup.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Axiom: Windows does browse through registry very much.

Cleaning registry can increase performance because less keys get in the way.
    Compacting registry can increase performance because registry will occupy less memory.

17. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you use Google translate for that post?

19. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No, you were trying to start up an argument on a topic that finished hours ago

Iggy'd