R9 290 BLUE Screen Loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by handricks, Feb 10, 2014.

1. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    Hi,

I've been through the forum and have come across similar articles yet non have provided a solution for this pestering & recurring issue.

I am having 3 X R9-290 cards from different manufacturers "MSI, Asus, XFX" using different memory chipsets.

MSI = Hynix
    Asus = Micron
    XFX = Micron

When any of those cards are installed in my PC, without having the Catalyst software/drivers installed, everything goes without a problem, but as all know, it is useless to use the PC without a gfx card "no games, no fun ...etc." :p

Once the Catalyst driver is installed, whether 14.1 Beta or 13.12 the whole system just goes into the BLUE Screen of Death for no reason, whether Graphics Acceleration is enabled or not in IE, Firefox browsers, or even when in desktop mode ..... sometimes just after starting up the PC and logging into windows in less than 4 to 5 minutes !!

Using my PC with my old Radeon 6970 in Tri-Crossfire mode is ROCK STABLE.

I've tried everything from resetting my Bios setting to defaults, reducing the no. of RAMs used, using only a single R9 290 card ....etc. but nothing worked :((

That is driving me CRAZZZZZZY :((

Here are my PC specs :

CPU : Intel X990 LGA1366
    RAM : 12GB Mushkin 9-9-9-24 "tried @ 1333 & 1600Mhz
    Motherboard : Asus P6T7 WS Super-Computer
    SSD : Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB
    PSU : Silverstone Strider 1500w

I am sure that my setup is more than powerful to handle all 3 cards in Tri-Crossfire mode, but even 1 wouldn't work !!!

Some have referred to it as being a software glitch others, a hardware. I'm confused and am really .. really disappointed by ATI this time, though I am an avid ATI hardcore.

PLEASE HELLLLPPP

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    windows 7 or windows 8?

3. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    I'm using Windows 7 64-bit

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    that's your problem right there

your problems will go away on windows 8

had similar issues myself when I tried windows 7

was getting black screen of death before logging to desktop an alsorts of weird crap

certain drivers just wouldn't work, CCC often refused to start

switched back to windows 8 an all problems I had went away

6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Fresh Win7 x64 install?

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    mine was yeah

just refused to play nicely with my setup

8. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF

Thanks for the input, yet I don;t think that AMD will release some drivers for the new baby born WIN8 and leave the huge majority of WIN7 users aside !

I also need to know, as per one of the replies, how to divide the PCI-e lanes to use only 8x per PCI-e instead of a 16x for a crossfire setup ?

Appreciate your comments and support :)

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    what's the code?

10. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    Please have a look below :

h ttps://app.box.com/s/sd74u2d4cqtlqtbkhmz6

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No wonder it's bluescreening, you installed an iPad not a GPU

12. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    sorry for the incorrect image :)

h ttps://app.box.com/s/btp3u8lrol5vnn85i19t

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The stop code is an ATI specific error.

Did you try all three cards individually or only 1? Try every single card because it's possible the only card u installed separately happened to be the one causing bsod.

14. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    Yes, I did.

I've tried each card individually, in a 2 way and 3 way setup as well.

Added to that, I've tried multiple PCI-e lanes, still no luck.

Somebody spoke about the NF200 bridge incompatibility .... should anybody know about that, then appreciate the support, technically if possible so that I may sort out this $1200 issue of unused cards

15. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    Blue / Black screen issues

it seems that more and more people are complaining about these BLUE / BLACK screen issues with no definitive answer as to why they are occurring !

- Even with clean installtion of WIN7/8 they just .... happen !

- NEW MotherBoards

- PSU units that can handle 4 GPU's cannot handle 1 290/290x !

That's crazy :(

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Why don't you do the simple and try the cards in another PC?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  17. Red Sea

Red Sea Guest

GPU:
    r9290x0c2
    Was there any solution here as I have the same mb, and bought 2 290X 0C and crash city, was using 7970s with no issues so I dont get it except for 1200 dollars of paper wieghts.

18. Phazon

Phazon New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X Lightning
    I had the exact same BSOD issue and code with my brand new MSI 290X Lightning card.

In my case anyway I discovered the issue is related to the Powerplay function which dynamically upclocks / downclocks the card's GPU and Memory clocks to help save power.

What is happening is for some reason on some motherboards this function is not working correctly. When you perform small actions on the screen like scrolling a page or moving a window, the clock speed rises (memory clock in particular which jumps from an idle 150Mhz to 1250Mhz) and then quickly settles again back down to idle.

Using a tool like GPU-Z you can monitor the clock speeds and watch how they rapidly jump up and down.

To confirm it is Powerplay what you can then do is fix the clocks using a tool like Afterburner which can override Powerplay and when I did this I had no more BSOD issues. Unfortunately this means that the card's idle temperatures and power consumption is higher which isn't acceptable.

My brother bought a new PC with the same model card and his PC does not show this behaviour at all. The clocks remain stable at idle and do not rapidly change when using the desktop. One of the main differences between his PC and mine is his PC has PCI-E 3.0 support whereas my PC only has PCI-E 2.0 support.

What difference this makes I'm not sure but I think there is differences between the way power management is handled on PCI-E 2.0 and PCI-E 3.0. This is clearly not working correctly with the current vBIOS and drivers that are out at the moment.

I tried 13.12, 14.1, 14.2 and 14.3 and all drivers exhibited the same issue. I contacted both MSI and AMD about the issue. MSI recommended I RMA the card which I did if only to get my money back since I have no idea if this issue will ever get fixed, and I got no response from AMD.