Max VRM temp for the 7970?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by PhazeDelta1, Feb 25, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    as the title says. does anyone happen to know what it is? i put the accelero xtreme 7970 cooler on my card but instead of using the glue that game with it, i used some 3M 8815 thermal adhesive tape. ive used this stuff in the past and it works really well. its takes a few thermal cycles before it sets in properly though. so in the mean time, im trying to keep an eye on the temps.

thanks.

2. Olvik

Olvik Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The limit is 120 ° C.

A greeting.

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    You should be ok with that cooler, in the overclocking thread a we were talking about VRM temps with this cooler iirc they hit about 70'c with a beefey OC of 1260mhz at 1.25v under full load.

Did you measure your temps and see something that worried you ???

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah vrm`s can take a lot more heat than the core itself

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    no. i just wanted to get a generalized idea of how high the vrm temp can go.

6. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
  7. leopr

leopr Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    The highest i've seen on the VRMs while playing games (Crysis 2 / BF3) on my 7970 (Accelero) is 60c.
    For some stupid reason i tried Furmmark to check the VRM temps and they almost got to 115c (1200/1600 1.16v). It's really amazing to see a 50 degrees difference from playing very demanding games to a running a GPU killer application like furmark.

[​IMG]

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yeah i haven't tried that tbh.

I ran Unigine Heaven on max settings looping for 2-3hrs to assess my temps.
    Maxed at 69'c on the VRM's with my Windforce, which was almost the same as another user with an Accelero (71'c iirc) got doing the same test (in the 7970 oc thread)

During gaming the dont get so hot, usually ~50'c as the card isn't 100% stressed all the time.

This is at 1260/6300 1.25v

Scared to try Furmark/OCCT since I blew up a 570 a year or so back (or melted VRMS i should say)

Ps what are you using for the OSD to display your VRM temps on screen ?
    I thought only HWiNFO64 could read them !!!

9. leopr

leopr Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    HWINFO can attach the VRM temps into the MSI AB OSD.

[​IMG]

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    this is after an 1hr 40min heaven loop. not bad really. :nerd:

[​IMG]

11. martinoheat

martinoheat Guest

GPU:
    7950B & R9 280x
    I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone is still around to reply....

Hi phase delta 1, do you have any pictures of your graphics card after you fit the heatsinks, but before you fit the cooler?

I'm having some VRM problems (VRM 1 reaches 115°C+, and VRM 2 reaches 98°C+.) After fitting the accelero 7970 cooler to my 280x.... I have fitted the cooler to my 7950 and had great temps, so I thought I'd do the same to my 280x, but the temps I'm getting are abysmal.

Could you have a look at where I've put the heatsinks and tell me if it looks right?:
    Naked PCB
    Heatsinks fitted

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You have it right way and that is btw. wrong, as in reality Accelero has worst VRM cooling ever seen. So be thankful that your card uses VRMs which have T-max 125°C (keep them below 100°C if possible as that will increase lifetime of that glue you used even when they promise 10 years of duty).

Since Accelero excel at being silent my advice is to make custom fan profile. Either with VBE7 directly into BIOS or with any advanced OC software.
    - 50% speed till 45°C
    - 70% at 50°C where it becomes little bit audible
    - 90% at 60°C
    - 100% at 75°C

This way it has required airflow around VRMs even if GPU does not get hot.
    It's curve is reversed to what normal GPU cooling would like, but it's due to fact that Accelero can nicely cool GPU even at 50% and you are targeting fast increase in airflow for VRMs not for GPU.

And there is nothing wrong on creating new thread for your issue.

13. martinoheat

martinoheat Guest

GPU:
    7950B & R9 280x
    Thanks for the reply!

Even with the fans at 100%, the VRMs reach about 100°C.
    Ideally, i'd want them sub 75°C like my 7950 which has been fitted with an Accelero Xtreme 7970 cooler too.

I guess i will have to remove the poor quality Arctic heatsinks, and fit higher quality ones... the only problem now though is that i have used the included thermal adhesive, and the heatsinks seem stuck on for good :S

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's weird, before they gave in package dual compound adhesive which could be removed easily.
    if that is really single tube one and states permanent, then you can break VRMs from PCB :/
    Other possibility is to glue some heatsinks on back side of PCB if your model has empty contactless space there like mine.

15. martinoheat

martinoheat Guest

GPU:
    7950B & R9 280x
    I actually managed to remove the heatsinks in the end! I twisted them whilst applying downward pressure so not to lift the chips at all. On the stiffer ones, I wobbled the heatsink until loose, then twisted. Then using acetone I cleaned the chips.

:)