My story of Overclocking

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by brazys, Jul 23, 2013.

1. brazys

brazys Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 oc
    Long story short, it was a blast :)

Couple days ago i with my gf went to trip visiting parents. I grabd my pc(listed left from the post) and I thought pc could use some cleanin&dustin.

removed cooler from cpu(have not been touched for a while... 5years to be accurate). Funny thing is i use some custom made thermal compaund :) You know cars run way more intence and hotter then any cpu, so i a few drops from under my ford mondeo 2001 ghia(isn't she a beauty :)), oh and i used not a fresh oil but used and overburnd from engine.
    Back to point, before removing pc never went over 66C with prime95 couple hours run. The oil was still in liquide form after 5 years use and no changing. Cleand baby without sanding wasnt needed reaplayd oil, tems drop by about 1-3C nothing seriouse.
    Fotos of my good old cooler [​IMG]

It's E8200 fsb is easy stuff, so boot up bios p5k pro, couple adjustments and i got 3,2Ghz easy i say. relaxd a bit cpu voltage, ddr2 shows up at 1.8v at stock :/
    Final results were 3.8Ghz but cpu temps went up to 76C and its to much without a single cooler in case :D tested with prime95 and that stuff knows how to push it to limits... stable for 2 hours, temps going up to 77C... no go
    desided to stay at 3.6Ghz with stable 66C in prime95.
    cpuz info(updated)
    [​IMG]

The thing is difference btv 2,6 and 3,6 is big for me. windows run butter smooth ;) fps in wot gone up by 20fps in some situations, avg increase 7-10fps good no? temps in games never go above 59C, fc3 pulls to 63C.

What matters atm is what my ram is dooing? is it chilin? cpuz shows at stock 400Mhz 1.8v...
    How much it actualy pulls from mb?
    Can i go even further with ram thinkering or shold just sit with what i have? waiting for some1 give me free fx63 and 990x :)

If u don't trust my story feel free to ask benchys and more screenshots :)
    my English writing is crapy have like two months of education :D

sisters custom paint job :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    "cpuz shows at stock 400Mhz 1.8v"

I see it showing 1.256v. I wouldn't go much higher than 1.35v ish for the Intel core 2's if you want a 24/7 kind of overclock.

3. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    you use used motor oil as a thermal compound for your cpu?

4. brazys

brazys Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 oc
    yeap :) it works, surface is always clean and in liquide form only issue i have atm is case air circulation this cooler is crap... it spread heat from heatsinks to all of pc, so quite a dificult task to cool whole pc. needs one cooler on side intake and read fan outtake front should be intake also and top outtake. its in my head atm. tomorrow maybe gona try.

edit:
    update in 3dmark11 got about P51** score gona do screenshot once i get home. it should take 2-3 place with similar rigs. with better case could push even more, figured ram temps isnt the problem, its NB that gets hot. was testing ram in dual channel asymetric mode but it was unstable more voltage should solve but cpu temps geting at limit of its reference temps 72.5 maybe more bandwith put more stress on cpu. gona do more testing once my coolers arive :D pops got some from old days :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I'd be interested if you would try good thermal compound and compare temperatures.

6. brazys

brazys Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 oc
    if any1 got some were similar rig would be cool to compare. but my prediction that difference would be minimal +-1-5C tops. don't forget that my case dosnt have any extra coolers on it...

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Interesting looking cooler.

8. brazys

brazys Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 oc
    gona take more pictures :D every1 loves em:D this one is from google :) gona change with mine. same only turbine isnt pushing like years ago...

Edit: more pictures and new bench, sad but seems i can't hit more then p5k in 3dmark11 :( need better ram :(
    bench and case fotos
    [​IMG]
    case
    [​IMG]
    more insides
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

any1 have e8200 on aftermark cooler? need to compare temps. my idle temps are high couse its hot here ambient temp 30C.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013