The Guru3D Screenshot Thread - RTFM! #25 - Rules update!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I don't think so. No one asked me yet at least. Though, they use Duncan's (Dead End Thrills) screenshots fairly often. But then again, it's his job.

Also, what do we fake? I don't think we fake anything if we add some of our own color adjustments to the image. The game is still the same.
    It's not like developers never use custom shaders/lighting on their promo shots... =P They even go so far and use completely different assets from time to time.

Mind - Path to Thalamus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Tomb Raider

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some of those devs are around here :p , if DET didn't have srtict rules it would turn to neogaf PC screenshots thread-like site and that neogaf thread is 90% bull**** and 10% gold

speaking of SFX there's no shame of using it but no screenshotter use it to the point of making a game appear so far from vanilla , usually SFX is used to apply smaa and turn-off in-game AA to save some power so the game could run at a playable framerate while rocking crazy high resolutions

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm with this.

While I love the artistic shots that show off what games are capable of, I also enjoy just seeing normal screenshots of people playing games.

And that's what I do. I play games to enjoy them, for fun and relaxation... and at times I like to show what I'm playing. Not to attempt to create a work of art... but just to show a game I love.

4. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    How are they perfect? Honestly, they are quite retarded.

Screenshots are about showing what you see on your screen, regardless of hud's, aliasing or what not.

I for one wouldnt ever bother participating on a site, where screenshots from unmodified games Arent allowed.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks for replies both of you, sorry if I might sounded a bit negative :p

dat ass :pipe: :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Alan Wake

[​IMG]

7. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I don't think you guys understand the point of DET. And that's fine. If taking normal screenshots of gameplay is your thing, nobody is stopping you. You just don't post them on DET because that's not what that site is for. Just post them here or any other forum you're a part of.

DET was created by somebody in the actual business of taking professional screenshots for developers. That requires complete control over the camera and the ability to pause the game at any moment in order to achieve the best possible compositions. And those screenshots very rarely have aliasing. Most pre-release shots you see are downsampled from very high resolutions. It's pretty standard practice.

Need for Speed: Rivals (7680x4320)

Infamous Second Son (5750x3240)

The forum (and the old Flickr group) is dedicated to screenshots of similar quality. Not just in image quality, but in creative use of composition as well. They aren't all going to be as amazing as half the stuff you see here, but... we try :)

That's your definition of a screenshot. The 2 examples I posted above from Rivals and Infamous are also screenshots (from the devs) with no HUD and taken at very high resolutions. They're the type of screenshots taken to get people hyped about their game. You might not be abe to see those exact same views during normal gameplay, but that doesn't mean they aren't screenshots. Unless you're Ubisoft. Then they're complete BS.

DET isn't for everybody. It's a VERY niche forum for people dedicated to a very specific mindset regarding screenshots. That's what lets the stuff there stand out from the normal stuff you see on every other gaming forum. I understand not wanting to participate in that sort of thing, but calling other peoples' hobby "retarded" because you don't like it seems a bit close minded.

8. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    While i shouldnt have called it retarded, i still dont consider them honest screenshots, as what is being potrayed, isnt optainable in the unmodified games. Basically its what being refered to as bull shots - images that are released by game Companies to get people excited about their game (as you rightly say) only to let them Down, when people find out that even with the highest settings ingame, the game doesnt look anywhere near what was seen on the screenshots, due to the many modifications on the screenshot (downsampling, no huds, free camera, sweetfx for additional AA, and possibly different color filters etc) all in all making the game close to unrecognizable.

While im all for making the prettiest screenshots possible using the above settings purely for the artistry of it, im really against it for Commercial use, as its missguiding at best. Its like looking at a new car - before buying it, youre shown Pictures that looks like a Ferrari, but once you get it, it looks like a skoda... i dont think alot of people would be too pleased with that, eventhough it is the common (mal)practice in the video game industry.

9. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    SweetFX and Downsampling are not dishonest, as anybody can use those to obtain the same visuals (given powerful enough hardware). Half the time people post screenshots just to show off their SweetFX and ENB settings. And most games can be played without the HUD too, if you like that sorta thing. Mods are not dishonest. It's just a reality of PC gaming and one of the reasons it's so damn awesome compared to playing on consoles.

Take any of the Witcher 2 shots I've posted recently. I don't think any of those are dishonest because every single one of them I thought looked better in-game than the actual screenshot. But most games look better in motion to me.

[​IMG]

That there (Witcher 2)? Doesn't impress me nearly as much as a static image as it did in motion.

10. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Darksiders 2 Free Camera + FOV. Awwwww yeaaaaah. More dishonest screenshots coming atcha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Yes, anyone can use downsampling (if they know how to), sweetfx, and what not, but the issue is that the game companies are showing screenshots with effects Applied, that doesnt come included with their games, and which many people do not know about.

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    So what about older games that don't allow you to remove the hud? We just can't post them now?

That's like...several entire generations of games.

Surely I'm misunderstanding something?

13. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    You are misunderstanding something. You can post WHATEVER you want here as far as I know. The conversation you're referencing is about a completely different forum. I don't even know why it came up in the first place. This isn't a thread about DET :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Alan Wake

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Darksiders 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

16. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Witcher 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hitman

[​IMG]

18. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Damn, games have come a long way. These screens in here a pretty sick :banana:

19. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Darksiders 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0