The Ultra-Violence Has To Stop

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Noisiv, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117919-Deus-Ex-Designer-The-Ultra-Violence-Has-To-Stop

"The ultra-violence has to stop," he told GameIndustryBiz.
    "We have to stop loving it.

I just don't believe in the effects argument at all, but I do believe that we are fetishizing violence, and now in some cases actually combining it with an adolescent approach to sexuality.

I just think it's in bad taste. Ultimately I think it will cause us trouble."

Bear in mind, no one is screaming ban violent video-games.

Yesterday I went out raging to kick some butt.
    Then the teens fled.
    Then I yelled: I wont hurt you, I promise. Just bring back your fathers, it's them i want.
    But they never did. Hmm.... could be the poor kids are bastards

2. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Just the same way we love high-speed races, over-the-top kung fu moves and flying space ships.

It's all these things most people can't do in their lives, so we pick a game.
    I don't see a "bad taste" in these things... it's just a game, get over it.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Fixed that for ya lol.

There are so many things that contribute to the downfall of society that it's hard to even know where to start.

By nature humans are violent, and therefore attracted to violence. But in some cases people can be detoured from violence by being around it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fixed that one :p

5. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^ Damn! LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    wtf,for years this argument has gone on now...if someone commits a violent crime its not because of a game or film...its because they chose too

7. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I wouldn't say that. Do you remember that kid in Japan butchered his parents with a samurai sword, all to do with Gta Vice City. Allegedly.

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's never the parents!!!

9. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    That's why I said "Allegedly."

Story goes, apparently it happened after he got the game. And from what I remember, that one was banned in quite a few country's.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    To do that then you must have something wrong with you in the first,i have been playing games almost everyday for well over 30 years and i have never thought of doing anything like that

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    That's what I thought when I first heard the story.

Maybe he had rough parents.

12. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Video Games are no longer restricted to board games or simple sport they were taken from, currently they are an evolution of a medium from prior and now they are more than movies.

In that sense, if movies have all those elements with people accepting them. Then its no different to a game, which has a mentioned age-group target (or restrictions to purchase them).

And if anyone is to quote violence, please know that the world has a long and bloody history of violence long before any electronic media came into existence. (roughly more than 4000 years of accounted violence)

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    tonight, i'll dedicate 2 hours of my life to MANHUNT, best game ever.

can't wait to pop the eye of an enemy wth a piece of glass.. or a knife [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    A kid in Saudi Arabia shot his father in the head because he didn't buy him a PS3 :p

15. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    i remember that game. kinda thought it sucked. for me God of war has some good fun violence. left 4 dead is a great gore fest too.

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    but neither had epic Snuff videotape like cutscenes nor the style.

L4D had gore but you couldn't decapitate a zombie (slowly) with a knife and then use the head to avoid detection or play soccer with it.

God Of War is a fantasy game, so in a way not very realistic, the violence wasn't cringe inducing, in manhunt you creep on an enemy and proceed to slice open his throat with a piece of sharp glass and listen to the gurgling as the blood squirted out like a horny lady, now that's proper and very satisfying. :devil:

Manhunt is truly one of those love or hate it affair, so in a way i understand what you're saying and why you thought it sucked, as for me, MH will always be one my favorite games of all time, Manhunt 2 was fine, just not as good, it was a little too consoley and something was lost in the.. port lol

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  17. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm still waiting for a proper Ultra-Violent Sexfest game. One to push the boundaries of decency to the breaking point. They've had it in movies for years now and I'd rather 'take part' than merely watch. It's not out of some primal desire or anything, I merely find over-the-top violence typically hilarious in implementation because it is so utterly bonkers. Japanese action/horror films, I'm looking at you. There is so much blood that it is so far beyond reality that it is utterly camp and goes from being shocking to outright ribsplittingly funny because of how utterly fake it is.

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Manhunt was such a good game. Every kill was special and tense. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere and ambiance factors. Really put you in that deranged world in a special way.

As for there being too much violence in games today? Nah. It's all fictional so it's irrelevant. The few cases of kids going crazy are because they have mental problems and are unable to determine the difference between reality and fiction.

19. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Warren never mentioned anything to do with that argument, he specifically talked about how violence was portrayed in video games, how it is now succesfully used as a marketing tool, with people talking about how being able to do some of these things is awesome and whatnot. We call it mature but the way we approach it and the way they portray it rarely is.

There is nothing related to violent crimes being tied to videogames in that article.

20. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I agree the ultra-violence must stop. We need to make room for megahella-ultra-violence.