Daredevil will attempt failed Evel Knievel Snake River Canyon jump

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    40 years after Knievel, daredevil will try to jump Snake River Canyon

[​IMG]

On Sept. 17, Braun plans to strap himself into a steam-powered rocket cycle nearly identical to the “X2 Skycycle” used by Knievel in his ill-fated attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon on Sept. 8, 1974. The jump aboard the “Evel Spirit” — expected to reach a top speed of 400 miles per hour — will start from the canyon’s north side, just east of the Hansen Bridge east of Twin Falls.

The canyon is about 200 feet narrower at that spot than the 1,600 feet Knievel tried to clear. The trajectory will be at a higher angle, Braun said, and he expects to clear the canyon wall by 1,000 feet.

Chute stopped Evel in mid-air

Knievel failed to reach the north wall of the canyon when the rocket cycle’s parachute deployed early and stopped the ship’s forward thrust. The rocket cycle floated toward the water before a gust of wind blew it back to the rocks on the south shore, below the launch site. Knievel suffered only minor injuries and a bruised ego.

More:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article99686832.html

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
  3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well I guess he's gotta do something given that Season 3 of his show won't be out until 2018 now.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Liveleak must be rubbing their hands together with glee.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was going to say something similar myself :). A higher trajectory? 45 degrees will get you the furthest, I guess it is needed to clear something on the other side? Going for a narrower point will mean of course that even if he does succeed, he still hasn't achieved what Knieval failed to do. Also a 1000 feet safety margin on a jump that is 1600 feet seems a little much, you have to consider that even if they tried at the same stretch as Knieval there will still be an 800 foot safety margin.

Going for the shorter distance would be like someone trying to beat Bolt's 100 m record by starting at the 20 metre mark, and after running the 80 m faster than Bolt's 100 M saying that you've beaten Bolt. You haven't. Not trying to diss the fact the attempt is tryng to be made, but like I said, he's not achieving something that Knieval failed at since the distance is 200 feet shorter in addition to having a 1000 feet safety margin.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hopefully if he clears this with plenty of room left, he'll attempt the real one

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Sweet! Perhaps it's nostalgia but just I love stupidly dangerous and unnecessary stunts such as this! I'm glad there are folks out there willing to do it.

I say if he crosses it, he did what Knievel never could, regardless of the spot being a bit shorter. It's still 1400 feet. I say that qualifies as crazy. Evel would be impressed.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That would make sense!

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Found the footage