i7 920 overclock need help

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BigBlockTowncar, Sep 28, 2014.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Well, the guide makes it seem like this huge process. And it doesn't help that they don't use the same terminology in the BIOS between manufacturers. I was just going to plug in the settings that the guy said for quick and dirty method for 4ghz, but even some of the things mentioned didn't make sense. I will update BIOS this evening.

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    well generally if the temps are good on your system you can leave stuff on auto and set the bclk at 180 say with a 21 multiplier and get an OC to 3.78, and then based on temps manually reduce the voltages until you get the lowest stable ones.
    Problem is your auto settings are high so your temps will probably be too high. But lets see after the bios update, maybe post your idle and prime95 blend torture temps after 15 mins in Prime95 with coretemp.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dude I was on x58 for around 6 years, I overclocked heavily on It with my 920 and 930. I know that architecture like the back of my hand. There is enough information in this thread to get you to the oc that you want. No more answers regarding bios settings do you require. I'm outta here, good luck and all the best with your oc.

Auto settings are also bs, they give you instability and un-neccessary overpowering voltage. The higher your OC goes the more these rules come into affect, hence instability with high overclocks on auto settings.

Anyhow good luck.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  4. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I flashed the BIOS and the stock voltages are the same with all of those power saving features disabled.

Should I go ahead and change the blck higher to see what happens? This guide says

"The d0 chip usually hits 4.0 in the vcore range of 1.175 and 1.25 try those voltages until you find whats right for your chip."

Since mine is at 1.282v under load it is already at a higher vcore then the 4ghz listed above

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    With Veteran on this one, everything has already been answered.

6. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    What should I set the auto settings to? The only thing left auto was the CPU VTT voltage which was +0mv. I will set it to +0mv instead of auto I guess. These were the quick settings:

191 x 21

Vcore 1.275v
    IOH 1.2v
    ICH 1.2v
    DIMM 1.65v
    PLL 1.875v
    QPI/Uncore 1.35v (is this the same thing as QPI PLL Vcore?)

Memory is 2:8
    Uncore Frequency 16x
    QPI 18x

Max temperature in prime95 was 76. I am going to turn my fan speed up. To get the temp down I will lower voltages one at a time by the smallest increments and test overnight for the next few days.

-------
    Got a BSOD124 after about 30 minutes. Reduced the QPI to 1.325v

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Uncore needs to be double that of your ram speed so in your case around 3200 or nearest equivalent and not 16x as you have.

8. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    So it is based on the stock RAM speed? That guide said he recommended 6x or 8x, that's why I chose those...I will change it to 2:12 since that is the stock speed of 1600mhz, then the uncore frequency to whatever is closest to 3200mhz.

Should I set the QPI back to 1.35v or leave it lower and see what happens with prime95?

Also, when testing, I'm assuming that since the voltages are within Intel spec, it's ok to leave the system hung up on a BSOD while I go to sleep.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  9. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Problem with the memory is that when I set the ratio to 2:12 that brings it to the 1600mhz, but the lowest uncore frequency of 24x is over 4000mhz....so quite a bit off of the 3200. Can I choose it manually, or does it go strictly off of the BCLK?

Yeah, it won't even boot at 2:12 24x....

Should I set it back to 2:8 and do 17x? That would get a little more than 3200mhz.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I put the VTT to +50mv and that seems to have stabilized the system. Good temperatures. The BSOD 124 seems to have gone away.

I am still not totally sure on the memory, but the target is almost at 1600mhz, I think I'll leave it since it works.

Thanks!