High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Question, i'm thinking of buying a second subwoofer, same model as it's cheap.

How do i hook it up to my receiver wich is 5.1? the sub has both LFE and L+R inputs, could i hook up the second subwoofer to it's L+R input or does it need to go somehow into the receiver?

EDIT: So i heard about this daisy chain method, how do i do this and how many cables are needed?

This is the back of my subwoofer: https://ic.tweakimg.net/camo/8046f9...age.de/jbl-hifi-stereo-foto-bild-56443340.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Just split the LFE output from receiver into two, using an Y-adapter like this : https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-splitter-female-15-24cm-cable/dp/B000GUSQJG

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
  4. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Ok bought the sub and going to order that splitter.

6. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    OMG! SVS sound demo with their SB-16 Ultra powered subwoofer. The demo is done with an single sealed sub in a rather large room, they show the size of the room between the first two demos. First 27 minutes mainly discussions and marketing. First demo around 27 minute in, 2nd about 40 minute, and last 47 min. mark.

Video demo is near bottom of the page linked, scroll down.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/16-ul...id=e5c9f7bd18&mc_eid=774b538153#janlittleguys

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Gotta invest someday in a SVS subwoofer, keep hearing so much about it.

After a week i finally received the sub, not in good condition there was random stuff in the cabinet i had to remove.

The sub didn't work when i had it in the LFE input, and it didn't go on.
    So the left is connected to the white RCA and the right one in the other red RCA input.

Don't think they will sound the same if i had left the other in LFE.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I ended up moving away from my HD 700, to the Audio Technica R70x which I enjoy alot more then the HD700, using my Zxr for now til I move to the schiit Jot /w Dac module. After wards I will get me some balanced cables for my R70x and maybe an thicker pair of ear-pads if i don't get the brainwave HM5 circle earpads and use them.

I have 2x LT1498 with 2x OPA627AU op-amp installed in my Zxr so i enjoying with that config so far, but still I can't wait til i move to the jot. It's even lighter then the HD700 to me. I have no regrets of selling my HD700, I almost went for the monoprice M1060 but i glad i didn't due to all of those QC issues.

9. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Guest

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Well, I've had an interesting past couple months with my PC audio setup. I went from an X-Fi Titanium PCIe sound card to a Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/amp. While the Fulla 2 was great, I ended up getting the upgrade-itis within the 15 day return period and returned it towards the Modi Multibit DAC & Vali 2 amp. I also bought some HD 598 Cs (closed) headphones and sent them back after trying the HD 598 SE open version. I also bought the HD650s. Did a bit of tube rolling with the Vali 2 and settled on the Gold Lion E88CC.

I don't regret any of these purchases and my old X-Fi is now sitting in a box of extra/old computer parts. Glad to have gotten rid of the Creative software & drivers!

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    [​IMG]

Wow, you went on quite a ride after getting Schiit Fulla nd HD598ce.

I guess Schiit stack is too appealing. Glad you got proper headphones that appreciate good amp and dac.

But damn dude, you went from audio peasant to king in like 1 month.

11. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Guest

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Totally worth it! The Modi Multibit & Vali 2 stack is a great pairing with the HD650s. Being able to tube roll to fine tune the sound signature is a great benefit as well.

I am told that the HD650s scale very well with even higher performance DACs & amps, so whenever I get the upgrade-itis again I really am curious to see how much better the sound actually gets. Until then, I am a very happy listener.

12. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Iv tried each item you mentioned I personally would forget the Asgard2 and go with the Valhalla 2 if money allows. I love the sound of tubes on the Valhalla 2 really brings out that musical elements to the overall sound quality. I found the Asgard 2 sounds to digital and harsh in some categories of music. but the Valhalla 2 has great soundstage/softness and the mids are pretty solid with good balance of bass/treble for its price, Its a good buy imo

But each product I have tested with pretty high end headphones (HD800s and Audeze LCD4) using both the Yggdrasil and Bitfrost DAC's in my testing.

Schiit do, do some amazing products for the price range, I think I have pretty much used all of there products at some given point lol.

On a side note, Only just discovered this thread!

So Ill post some of my current audio setup i'm running.

[​IMG]

LCD4 headphones hooked up to the Woo Audio WA22 amp and Chord Dave DAC(its hidden sadly lol)

Software wise I run all my audio through Roon, I found that gives the best quality to my DAC compared to any other software I have tested.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  13. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    nice set-up :)

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    [​IMG]

By the way... The new (well, not new any more) headband is starting to crack (from opposite side though this time). Design flaw. Not going to get them fixed again.

Also... Unless I'm having some kind of serious placebo effect going on I'd say that the stereo direct mode on Sound Blaster Zx definitely gives better audio quality.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    My schiit Jotunheim that i bought used with the gen 2 dac in has came, burning it in right now. Now its time to get rid of my Zxr. On first listen I like it so far.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Wanted to show off my newest audio additions.

Got the TEAC UD501 a couple months back, still breaking it in, along with the Audioengine HD6.

Using a Uptone Audio Amber Regen w/ WireWorld UV 7 USB 2.0 and AudioQuest BigSur RCA Interconnects.

Still got 60 hours of burn in at least on the HD6, but sounding better every day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Here my photo of right here, now all is left to do is get me an R70X balance cable, I happen to know which company makes one.

[​IMG]

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  19. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6800 XT
    i just bought a valhalla 2 and i cant wait for it to arrive . Im going to use it with
    hd650 , denon ah-d2000 and dt990 600ohm .
    Next upgrade will probably be a good DAC

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I ordered an Oppo 205 yesterday, hopefully it will arrive over the weekend.
    My 105D was handed to the courier today for px so theres a big hole in my AV system!
    I'm using the Minimax for stereo from PC, feeding TV audio into PC via mic in. Works well.

My brother managed to snag a 205 yesterday from a shop.
    At first he said he didnt notice much difference to his 105 but after a short break-in its definitely clearer and he is impressed. He's not easy to impress.
    Not heard more from him, probably too busy playing with it.

Theres only one downside to the Oppo 205 vs the 105 that I have found so far.
    It has 2 HDMI out but only one of them supports video.
    The other is audio only. Its been configured to reduce jitter for those that feed audio into another AV DAC/pre-amp.
    Good for those using a Pre-amp with a better DAC (not sure there is one vs the 205 though) but I use both HDMI outs for video.
    I'll get an HDMI 2.0 splitter. I advise making sure it supports 4K60 and HDR if you do this.

This brings up an issue.
    I avoided using a pre-amp to prevent colouring the signal and reducing detail, instead using the Oppos internal volume control built into the DAC chip.
    But there is a downside to this with high end kit.
    Using the volume control in the Oppo reduces output level but the noise floor remains the same. Fortunately there is enough headroom with the 32bit DAC running 24bit media to prevent reduction of dynamic range which is a relief.
    With the 205 it has been stated, below 70% volume you may start to hear effects of the noise floor.

I plan to insert a high quality resistor on each channels analogue out to reduce output enough that the volume is at the right level between 70 to 100%.
    Once I get the value worked out it will be soldered it into the silver leads to reduce connection losses.
    (1% on the volume is 1dB. Previous Oppos it was 0.5dB)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.