Water Cooling questions from a noob please help

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Loophole35, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay as the title suggests I'm a noob when it comes to water cooling, I haven't even played around with a AIO kit before.

I have a few questions but first a bit of info to get out of the way.
    First specs:

CPU- i7 2600K currently at 4.6 w/1.345V hope to go higher with water
    GPUs- EVGA 670 FTW sli @1267-1280/7200
    case- Cooler Master HAF922

Okay so far I have decided that I wnt to use EK blocks for the GUPs and the CPU these are what I have picked out, two EK GeForce 680 GTX+ VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Nickel CSQ , I will be conection the two GPU blocks with a 3 slot two way EK bridge and this EK Supremacy Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Nickel . I'm also getting the EK 680 backplate but that's purely for aesthetic.

Now my first question is, what diameter tubing should I run 3/8 x 5/8 or 1/2 x 3/4, and what brand? I need to know this so I can get the proper compression fittings.

Next I am unsure of how much radiator I will need? I technically have enough space and mounting area for 480mm total rad space ( would be two 120's and on 240) but that would end up being a mess of tubing. One 120 and one 240 would be ideal, but I could always add an external 360-480 radiator. Again I have no idea how much I need.

And lastly for now should I go with a separate pump and reservoir, or a combined unit like this or this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Veteran knows a lot about water maybe pm him, Agent`s on water too

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    For tubing size, get 7/16 5/8 tubing. 1/2 is way too big and nets almost no difference(talking about .5c difference in temps) and is too hard to route around, doesnt bend well. For tubing, id get the Primoflex primochill adv lrt, great stuff. Using it now atm, had zero issues with their older model from previous build, very flexible and doesnt plasticize(tubing gets white from additives from water) much.

For 2 cards and cpu, id be looking at 480rad space minimum, preferably 600rad total. Now pump and reservior will look better seperately if you do it right, but tbh much easier and less troublesome to just use a 5.25 bay combo. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Reservoir_Pump_Combo_-_D5_Vario_Included.html
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Pumps_Installed_-_Clear_CUSTOM-DDCBAYTWO.html
    Also, it would probably benefit you to do dual pumps but it is expensive...

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I actually prefer the half inch tubing as long as you get anti kink and you don't try to bend the tubing at stupid angles it will be ok.

Bigger tubing contains more water, more flow and cooler results but not much difference.Just go with what you prefer or do some googling of each type.

Don't bother with a single rad go for the biggest rad you can get and put it all in a single loop.There is no difference between a single and dual loop as long as you have a decent pump.

Facts regarding dual and single by Swiftech.
    http://www.swiftech.com/Resources/White_papers/Dual Loop versus Single.pdf

I would go for atleast 2xtriple rads or more for best performance but a 360 and 240 minimum is what I would go for for a good oc on the cards and on the cpu etc.

Tbh your not gonna get that much heat from your cpu even when heavily overclocked unless your stability testing.
    The gpus will throw out the most heat and these should be the primary concern when setting up the loop. Amount of rads and sizes depends on your case.

Remember you can mount a Rad externally on the back of your case using the koolance clamp(expensive) or swiftech radbox(cheaper).They both do the same job and it keeps the ambient temps down in your case, Its also handy if your struggling for room.

What you choose and how you do it will depend on your case, When it comes to proper water cooling the case is very important.

The most restrictive part of your loop will be your waterblocks which cant be helped except you can buy an additional pump-top for increased head pressure.
    A pump-top is cheap but if you buy this reservoir it eliminates the need for a pump top because of the way it works.This res is expensive but its the best in my opinion,also if you do decide to go for it make sure you get the latest revision as the earlier ones had some fillport problems.The newer version corrected the problems.

http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.u...52x2-r2.html?gclid=CN3W5u3Av7YCFajLtAodtxwA4g

You can fit 2xMCP 655 pumps to this so even the most restrictive loop(s) will not have any problems with regards to head pressure because of the custom waterblocks that can cause slight decrease in head pressure.The beauty of this reservoir is that it dont need a pump top to increase head pressure because once the plastic housing that comes with D5's/MCP655's as stock is removed from the pumps,the output is immediately forced through a 90-degree bend. When you mount the pumps to the koolance bay res the bay also acts as pump top.

Saying that a pump top is not essential tbh its more of an extra, it helps but its not a priority. You will still get good temps without one, the koolance reservoir gives it you for free.Also that reservoir is not essential you can go with any res, you may just need to do a bit of research.

Water cooling isn't hard its just some research,some common sense and a small amount of plumbing, its very easy tbh.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay guys thanks for the input I will do some more looking around tonight when I get home. So it kinda a consensus the I should go with 600 total rad space. Who makes the best price/performance radiators?

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I like the RX range and Thermochill range, There great performers and there expensive.

However any rad is good enough it dont really matter tbh.
    A good rad thats low price and performs brilliantly is the Swiftech MCR320, well rated and a good all rounder.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Get the XSPC AX series, they are one of the top rads atm

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    THat alphacool should be fine but damn it doesnt look like itll be fun having it in a 5.25in bay.. way too big. A 240rad should be fine for the case, but is that as big as you can fit in there? a 360rad inside the case would be better, i dont care for 140rads as fans suck for it usually, and external rads are ugly imo.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    As I said in the OP 360 total rad space is available in my case that would require a 240 and a 120 together (it's only a mid tower for God's sake). External is really my only choice would a 120 quad be better because of fans alone or would the 140 quad do better because of capacity and fin area? I really have no options when it comes to whether to have an external or not, if I am to be able to cool the system I need more radiator surface area.

Edit: I don't think I'll have a problem with the res/pump 5.25 bay combo as my BD drive does not even extend past the drive bay frame in my case.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You could always get a new case.. lol

if you decide to go 240+120 in your case you will surely need 2 pumps. also, good 140 fans are hard to come by.. really up to you to do research on high static pressure fans for 140mm to make that decision

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Some watercooled HAF 922 cases.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

You very limited in what you can do, If it was me i would sell the case and buy another more suited to water and do a proper job.

A good watercooling case should last you forever.Watercooling cases are cheap and expensive, there are some good ones for a cheap price.

Xigmatech Elysium is great for the money.
    The TJ07 with Modded roof you can get a Triple and a Quad internally, One of my favourite Cases the TJ07 for water.

You could also wait for the Corsair 900D.

I dont think you will need 2xPumps for the HAF 922 looking at these pictures of how others have done it.

13. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Not sure on the dimension of the HAF 922 compared to the 932.

I currently use Ek blocks in my system, same CPU and GPU blocks you listed.
    I removed the HDD trays from the case and it allowed me to fit a 240 EK rad in the bottom to go with my 360 EK rad at the top. All of this is fed with the EK dcp 4.0.

For those wondering, I'm not really an EK fanboy, I bought one of the sets and just expanded on it based on product availability at the time.

My HDDs are actually attached on the back side of the motherboard. DVD drive has been removed as I never use it and that area is used for my 150basic v3 EK res and the pump. I have only 1 single loop for 680's in sli and a 3570k cpu.

Temps seem fine to me, (perhaps you veterans on cooling can comment)
    GPU's overclocked are max temp of 44 with the CPU peaking at 60 when OC'd to 4.3ghz.

I have the pump set to just 45% via the ASUS thermal monitoring on the sabertooth software bundle. It is the only thing I can hear in my system, and that is only because of vibration of it resting on bottom of the drive bay area.

My only grievance is that I am actually very slowly losing liquid somewhere in the system and I cannot for the life of my locate it.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    All the 922 systems are just CPU or CPU and one GPU and they have cut out the hdd cages. That 900D looks amazing but damn that price (from the looks of it totally worth it) budget just got expanded. I could easily fit a 360 on the top and a 480 at the bottom and that should be plenty.

@ Warchild - The 922 is a mid tower the 932 is a full tower I really am limited in space I've kinda been wanting to change the case as this one has worn out its welcome (not a big fan of its looks and it has some vibration noise occasionally).

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The Xigmatek Elysium is a great case for the price, I think you can get 2 triple rads in there without modding which is plenty for the highest Overclocks on cpu and gpu's.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...E4D5CF6587BC3EF3C2E81E3D956E&selectedIndex=25

You wont need any more than that unless your going quad sli.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That xigmatek is nice as well I'll take a closer look at that one when I get home I like the price of that case a lot more.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nzzt phantom 820

18. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Switch 810 is also great for WC, you can pop a 360 and 240 internally without even having to think. You also have the ability to fit a 420 or a 280 option, that requires a little thinking. Or you can mod it and throw two 60mm or 80mm thick 360's in there

There also the option to buy a Dwood pedestal, though you'd have to import it from America.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm liking the Xigmatek a lot but I think it will take some modding to get it where I would want it. Really wish it had the ability to mount a 480 in the bottom like the 900D that would make this case perfect but as I see it now I can run a 120 tripple 60mm thick up top and a 120 dual 60mm thick in the front and still have HDD's. Just wish it was a full plexi side.