Are you going ivy? why or why not?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Deleted member 216176, May 3, 2012.

1. So there we have it, are you getting an ivybridge cpu? whats your reasons why you have chosen to, or not to?

I've been waiting for IB for a long time now, I have enough cash for an IB 3570K system right now...but i'm not impressed with the heat and therefore overclockability of these chips and i've never owned an intel cpu before so I want to make the right decision.

I'm thinking of saving for a little while longer (1-2 months) to see if intel release a new stepping or have some magical fix for the heat these chips produce ( although im worried that they overheat simply because of the amount of transistors packed into such a small die...in which case cpu cooling will need to improve ie self contained LN2 cooling or something lol)...

But if there is no fix soon, i'll have enough to go with plan B - which will be an X79 + 3820 solution which will be compatible with IB-E 8core/16thread cpu eventually....which will (hopefully) live up to our expectations this time.

So that's where i'm at right now, whats you're thoughts guys? agree? disagree? keen to know if anyones thinking along the same lines as me.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I dont see the point in spending cash and getting no improvement.
    As you say, a second stepping might resolve the current leakage.

3. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    I am in much the same boat as yourself. I was waiting for 22nm for lower thermals and higher overclocking.

However seeing as IB is a temp monster AND power usage goes through the roof with additional voltage i think i will be getting a 2500K+Z77 and OC to whatever i can on stock volts.

Do you know if PCI-E 3.0 is supported with Z77+SB?

4. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    No because i have a 4.6GHz 2500k. I am just going to save for a GTX 670. :3

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No, PCI-E 3.0 requires an IB CPU.

6. I haven't been that in touch with intel over the years as i've always had amd based systems, but historically how soon could we be seeing new steppings?

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    dont see the need to, happy enough with current performance, when PCIE3.0 cards are a necessity then ill upgrade.

Tbh i dont think more grunt than what i have is needed at least until the new consoles arrive.

8. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Totally agreed, and see no need to upgrade. I have plenty of power now, that I don't use.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'll be sticking with X58. OCing is a bit more flexible (wrt PCIe and bclock) and still plenty of performance left with 6 cores at 4.4 GHz.

10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hey dude!

from what ive seen, ivy bridge sucks in heat because the internal heat spreader is connected via thermalpaste instead of being soldered on.

so if you only need a quad, i'd say buy a z77 board with all the features you'd like, and then just grab a 2700k since they're binned better, they run cooler, and they're cheaper since intel just dropped the price on them. the only thing you really lose is pcie3.0, but i dont see that as being an issue yet.

11. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i wont upgrade untill my gpu usage drops below 99% and i feel that a while off yet. gpu upgrade on the other hand, well that'll be in a couple of months:banana:

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I am.

If you look left, you'll see why.

It's been a long time since I've bought a new rig and I tend to keep them for 6-7 years.

Last purchase was 2006, and not upgraded much apart from RAM + GPU (9800GTX - 250GTS) due to gfx card melting because of neglect by me.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I recommend a new MB with a SandyBridge CPU.
    If you dont keep your PC clean, IB is not the better solution.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I made the switch because there were no point in buying another 2600K (I had to buy something anyway). This is by far the coolest running chip I've ever had at stock settings. Mid 40's when encoding stuff with x264 encoder (100% cpu usage) and idle temps were as low as 17c for two cores (my room was a bit cool, though). I have Thermalright True Spirit as CPU cooler. If I can make it run at 4.3 GHz, I'm more than happy.

15. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Like many others, I’m not impressed with the OC / heat issue with the Ivy Bridge. I’m also not pleased with some of the pricing I’ve seen for the Core i7 3770K. It was my understanding that Ivy Bridge was replacing Sandy Bridge so the pricing should reflect that. ~$350 for the 3770K is too much IMO.

Also I wanted an additional new system to run virtual machines and some additional tasks. My Wife may also need to run some virtual machines too, in fact I'm sure of it. While I like to game its not all about gaming for me. Unfortunately the Ivy Bridge K line doesn’t support VT-d and I’m looking for something that can OC, run reasonably cool and support hardware virtualization VT-d. PCIe 3.0 support doesn’t hurt either.

BTW, Microcenter dropped the price on the Intel Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3820 to ~$229.99 USD. That’s a fairly decent price IMO. If you have a Microcenter near you you can save some coin. In fact they had the Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600K on sale for $199.99 not too long ago (deals over now though).

I already went with the Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3930K late last week at ~$499.99. I haven’t decided on a motherboard yet but it will probably be an ASUS P9X79, P9X79 Pro, P9X79 Deluxe or Sabertooth X79.

I have a gift card that should cover the cost of the motherboard completely or mostly depending on which board I choose. I have all the other parts I need beyond that already so the only out of pocket expense was the CPU.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No im not because im at a nice 4.4ghz which is great for me cpu,still plenty of life in it yet,if i turned HT off i could probably go 4.5 with some tweaking but i dont think my ram will allow it as its already at its maximum oc threshold regarding stability/volts/damage/increased oc ratio.

Ill stick with my cpu till haswell atleast in 2013.

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Yeah, $350 is a bit much for Ivy Bridge, considering Intel set the MSRP at $318. Dunno why retailers are jacking it up $32.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm making the jump, it'll boost the performance of my PC even without an overclock. Even with an overclock, I won't really push it past 4.2-4.3 GHz, as I don't intend to do any extreme overclocking and will still be within acceptable overclocking limits.

I'm getting the Core i5 3570K with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H. I've got most of my parts but am waiting for my CPU, USB 3.0 back plate and more thermal paste which I got from another store. I'm planning to do the rebuild this weekend.

deltatux

19. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Yeah, I was referring to Newegg as their price for the Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K is $349.99 USD. Microcenter has the 3770K for something like ~$289.99 which is a decent price IMO but it doesn’t solve the heat / OC issue. Newegg has a habit of overcharging for new hardware such a s the 3770K whereas Microcenter typically undercuts the MSRP.

BTW, just between you me and the world wide web, I half suspect Intel decided to go with cheap thermal past between the core and the heat spreader on Ivy Bridge for a very good reason. Maybe Fluxless solder adhering to the core and spreader at repeated high temp might pull the chip right off LGA1155 package. The spreader expands with heat and contracts when cooling, if the chip is fused to the spreader it could weaken its mount to the LGA1155 package when it goes through the heating / cooling process.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    no way with this revision. the 690 looks awfully good though.