RX460 malfunction on old mobo

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AFinger, Jul 8, 2017.

1. AFinger

AFinger Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon RX460 2GB
    I've recently updated my GPU from the Radeon HD6670 to a Radeon RX460. The first thing I noticed was the delay before the screen started to receive signal. The BIOS screen is no longer showed and after some seconds either a warning appears "System boot fail. Your system last boot...", or, after a flicking hyphen on the top corner, Windows starts loading. My computer now always starts this way, and this wasn't happening with the HD6670. After install the latest drivers from AMD website everything seemed to work fine, despite the booting issues. When testing the new performance playing GTA IV, after some minutes the screen froze and game crashed. And error balloon was showed briefly "display driver stopped responding". I have also installed GTA V and it takes a bit longer before crashing and the error message is different, "err_gfx_d3d_init", but it does the same, frozen screen and game crash. This error happens when playing games, when watching a video or even when surfing the Net. I 've tried to reinstall GPU drivers and to downgrade them, I've tested up to four diferent versions of drivers. Since I brought the GPU I have also brought a new PSU to be sure these problems weren't caused by low power supply. I need to know if these issues are common when mounting a new GPU on an old system or maybe there is any problem with the GPU itself
    Any help or clue will be welcomed!
    Thanks a lot for your time and sorry for my grammar mistakes.

Windows 7 64
    AMD Phenom II X4 925
    Asus M2N-E
    Shappire Radeon RX460 2GB OC
    8GB DDR2-800 Samsung PC-6400
    Corsair CX450

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Try the card in another machine. If it does the same thing there, yo can see if a newer vBIOS exists, or replace the card.

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I’m gonna take a guess and say the cards UEFI BIOS doesn’t play well with your older MoBo. That explains the boot issue anyway. The crashing wouldn’t be related to the BIOS tho...

4. AFinger

AFinger Guest

GPU:
    I cannot try it in other machine at this moment. Have to look for someone who has a newer mother board.

On the sticker of the GPU box after the model name says "(UEFI)", so is that part of the problem?
    Related to the crashing I can see on several forums that is a common issue of this card, so I am starting to regret buying it and I still have this week to returning it.
    Do you think is there any solution?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Yeah, modern PCs have UEFI bioses which require UEFI compliant hardware - usually graphics cards often come with a bios switch, legacy bios and UEFI mode, i fyou have a switch, change it to legacy mode - failing that, go into your bios with a different card/onboard and set your bios to CSM legacy mode.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    People have had problems with the newer cards using UEFI not working on older motherboards, but that has typically resulted in the PC refusing to POST.

It's always a good idea to update to the latest BIOS but sadly your motherboard hasn't been updated since 2010, so I'd guess it wouldn't solve UEFI related issues.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Find a card that doesn't have an UEFI bios

pretty much the problem is your expecting new hardware to work on a 7 year old mobo

8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Nothing wrong with expecting that. Before UEFI came, you could use the latest graphics card in whatever PCI-E 1.0 motherboard you had

9. AFinger

AFinger Guest

GPU:
    This is not the case, this gpu doesn't have any switch. I will take a look to that bios setup. Thanks for your answer

I've already updated to the latest BIOS, so that isn't the solution, but thanks anyway.

Your conclusion is pretty much logical, and have already assumed that I should spend more in newer components, but, should I return this card? Thanks for your frankness!

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I have an rx 560 in an lga 775 g33 mobo, had booting issues initally, changing the pcie mode compliancy mode from 1.0a to 1.1 fixed the problem for me, i would look for a similar option in your bios , AFAIK all of the lower end cards have support for uefi and legacy boot.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm an idiot, I got it in reverse, you enable CSM support on a board that uses UEFI not the other way around.

The other thing I could suggest is, if you're stuck with the card, download and flash a non-uefi bios to your gpu.

I'd go with what User1 says too, check if you have any PCI-E settings that could be necessary to change.

12. AFinger

AFinger Guest

GPU:
    The settings I've found about PCI-E are these
    - PCI Express frequency allows PCI Express x16 frequency tuning from 100 MHz to 200 MHz at 1 MHz increment.
    - PEG Link Mode allows you to enhance the performance of your PCI Express graphics card. Options: [Auto] [Disabled] [Normal] [Fast] [Faster].
    Nothing related to pci-e versions so I assume it has to be 1.0
    Thanks again

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I would try different PEG link modes , see if anything changes

14. AFinger

AFinger Guest

GPU:
    I've tried fast and fastest modes and still does the same, when playing GTA V screen freezes music keeps playing and game stops, but error messages are different, now appear again the display driver error instead the err_gfx_d3d_init. Should I stop believing?

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You're gonna have to try it in another machine or send it back for testing, card could very well have issues.

16. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I don't think this has anything to do with UEFI - the fact that you're playing GTAV backs that up. I wouldn't up the PCI-e clock manually or with ASUS's PEG link settings.

The RX460, despite being much newer, draws much more power under load than the 6670. The RX460's power consumption is IMO dangerously close to the 75 watts that the PCI-e slot can provide, and should have a 6-pin connector. Some overclocked models(ASUS Strix) have been shown to draw up to 90 watts. Some models have one, some don't. The reference card does not have one. Does your RX460 have a 6-pin connector? Although your new PSU has a single 6-pin power connector, and may be completely adequate, I would not recommend it for use with any discrete GPU. I've seen many issues caused by PSU's, including high end models, so PSU is one of the first things I would test.

The flashing cursor could be a few things. Since you installed a new PSU and GPU, you should double check ALL connections in case you accidentally bumped something. A SATA cable that is loose could cause all kinds of issues. You might also try disconnecting any extra drives, optical drives, or USB devices.

I've owned a couple Nvidia chipsets(NF4SLI, and 750i), and they ran hot and died young. Your M2N-e is getting long in the tooth and may just be acting up in it's old age. If you don't have access to parts to test(swapping GPU into known good system, or swapping known good PSU into your system) then you might also consider buying a more modern used system, as this may be cheaper than taking your system to a shop.

I hope it's something simple. Good luck!

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Since HW change and boot error. Start your BIOS changes by loading factory defaults/optimized. Then save + exit. Reboot. And now do your BIOS changes.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    my thoughts exactly.

and when he puts it under load(GTA5)...>Crash

I would send it back and get a 1050 or even better 1050ti with 6pin

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  19. AFinger

AFinger Guest

GPU:
    I have to ask a couple of people but I don't have much friends that own new computers, as far as I know.

Let us take it in parts
    - My RX460 doesn't have 6-pin connector.
    - Same failures happened with my old oem psu (480W - 12v single rail 17A). I brought this CX450 to dismiss responsibles.
    - The flashing cursor is common when booting my computer, it appears a couple of seconds between the bios screen, that hides the memory check, and the Windows loading screen. The RX460 don't allow me to watch the bios screen, and it starts directly with the cursor. May it be caused because the adapter I am using HDMI to VGA?
    - I have double checked all connections and only DVD unit is connected.
    - I know it is any eldery woman, and I'm getting used to the idea of carry on investing on my computer or those purchases would have been a waste of money.

I can try this out because I'm running out of ideas.

But it crashes when reading an online newspaper too, not only when playing.
    My refunding period ends this next week, so I have about 3 days to decide it.

Today I've returned to the old config, old gpu and old psu. Yesterday more crashes than usual happened, two of them were shutdowns followed by a loud fan noise that I didn't want to guess where it came from. I had to shutdown the pc manually both times. I have my new components into their boxes and today I'm going to ask a couple of friends about new computers.

Thanks everybody for the answers and tips, all of them are heplful.
    I will be back!

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    well don't throw your old parts out...my friend has a home theater PC with the same Phenom II 925 and an old 750ti and it works great!