Graphic card responds late after boot.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by red00, Jun 29, 2017.

1. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Hey guys. everything was fine a few days ago but lately I'm having a little problem.
    days ago, whenever I push the power button, the lights and fans were start to work, then a little noise from hard drive I believe, then a single beep and my monitor show me the bios or windows loading page almost immediately.
    now after re installing my windows, that beep takes a lot longer to be heard, and after that my monitor goes in standby or blank, and after about 5-6 second, my monitor shows me windows loading page. sometimes I have to on/off monitor, and sometimes I even have to restart because it remains in stand by mode.
    when I restart, everything's just fine. it only happens whenever I start the system by using the power button form fully off mode.

I've updated my bios, gpu's bios, updated other drivers and nothing...
    where do you think the problem is from?

RX 480 OC
    ASUS B85 PLUS
    8 GB RAM
    GREEN 750W OC

Any help will be appreciated.

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    what model is the monitor, how old is it, have you tried connecting it to any other computers? and what kind of cable are you using?

it sounds like a monitor edid issue.

3. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    it's an LG IPS226 and I have i for about 5-6 years. nope I never tried it on other computers and I use VGA cable.
    but I doubt if it's monitor related. what would be the reason behind that late "bip" from mother board?
    for me, it sounds like that GC doesn't get added to the systems circuit in time. and when it happens then it starts sending data to monitor.

also I've changed my GC from an R9 290X (it died after 3.5 years of using it) to this RX 480 about a month ago if that helps. but didn't have this problem in the first weeks.
    I also had a hard 100% usage problem that I almost solved it by re installing windows and updating all my drivers.

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    are you using a display port to vga adapter? Im not aware of any 290x or 480 that natively supports analog outputs like VGA., I would try using the native hdmi or dvi inputs on the monitor if you haven't already and see if that changes anything

the late blip is probably just the mobo taking a while to post, might wanna clear the cmos see if that helps, or tweak your ram if you've touched that.

regarding a monitor edid problem, issues can popup after long periods of time depending on how the edid is stored (some are stored in flash or eeprom and not a hard rom,) and the if its nvram has flipped bits, older monitors might not play nice with newer graphics cards as well though it is very rare,
    you can try doing a factory reset on the monitor and/or a hard reset which can be done on most monitors, though the exact way depends on the manufacturer/model.

5. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    oh sorry. I don't know why I said vga :D. i'm using dvi. (a total noob!) :)
    when I changed the windows, I started to have another problem. since I use also another win 8.1 on this system and I need to have a dual boot system, after installing new win 10 my boot menu turned to that black dos screen to choose between win 10 and win 8.1 (i hope you get what screen I mean) everytime i start pc instead of that default blue screen which loads win 10 first and then asks if I want to keep up with win 10 or switch to win 8.1.
    so for solving that I downloaded this program "dual boot repair" and it solved my problem. do you think that caused this new problem?

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    No idea, the dual boot repair probably enabled fast boot, you could try turning that off and see if it changes anything

7. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Thank you dude! it seems turning that off solved the problem! you rock! :)