Enabling Hyper-V in Windows 8 leads to OFF hardware acceleration (DXVA)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Yuriy Chebukin, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Yuriy Chebukin

Yuriy Chebukin Guest

GPU:
    HD6480G+HD6470M (0,5+1GB)
    When I enable Hyper-V in Windows 8 or 8.1, it disables hardware acceleration (DXVA). Also games become unplayable.
    DXVA Checker without Hyper-V:
    http://prntscr.com/1q5ey6
    DXVA Checker with Hyper-V
    http://prntscr.com/1q5f6j
    Video drivers: Mobility Catalyst 13.4
    Other details of my laptop configuration you can see in profile.

Has anyone encountered similar issue? And what can I do with it?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. andrii

andrii Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5450
    The same thing.
    I don't know.
    Look like there is no AMD driver which supports DXVA under Hyper-V
    I'd suggest to get rid of AMD hardware forever.
    I will never buy AMD again!

3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Hyper-V in Windows 8 is a highly integrated virtualization solution. When you enable it, you aks a background layer to become a virtualization host and even you desktop runs as a virtualized client.

Sometimes it's convenient, other times it isn't.

Do you really need virtualization at all? If so, then are sure this is the best solution for you?
    For example, VirtualBox leaves your desktop on the host,. It creates the virtual machine without closing it down or make it virtualized as well. Of course, this means the resource management is less flexible. Your native desktop can't be merged into shared resources, or seamlessly shut down to make more resources available for the virtualized clienst.

If you don't know what virtualization is, then you don't need to enable Hyper-V. On the contrary, you should disable it.

And I doubt the VGA vendor drivers make a difference in DXVA or Direct3D support under virtualized clients.
    By the way, VirtualBox supports Direct3D and Direct2D hardware acceleration. I don't know if Hyper-V theoretically does or doesn't even try.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. Prasad007

Prasad007 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB
    Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and disabled Hyper-V.

5. Yuriy Chebukin

Yuriy Chebukin Guest

GPU:
    I know what is virtualization. I need HYPER-V for programming on Windows Phone 8 (its emulator is HYPER-V virtual machine). And I like it, because it always run any virtual machine without problems unlike VirtualBox and VMware (rarely) and has useful feature "Dynamic memory".

Now I can use VS 2012 and HYPER-V on VMware virtual machine thanks to one trick, but this is outrage.

6. Yuriy Chebukin

Yuriy Chebukin Guest

GPU:
    I know what is virtualization. I need HYPER-V for programming on Windows Phone 8 (its emulator is HYPER-V virtual machine). And I like it, because it always run any virtual machine without problems unlike VirtualBox and VMware (rarely) and has useful feature "Dynamic memory".

Now I can use VS 2012 and HYPER-V on VMware virtual machine thanks to one trick, but this is outrage.