New RivaTunerStatisticsServer is ready, testers wanted!

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Unwinder, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Dear forum visitors,

I’m glad to inform you that I just finished upgrading RivaTunerStaisticsServer to v3.7.0 (this application is also known as EVGA On-Screen Display server in EVGA Precision bundle and MSI On-Screen Display server in MSI Afterburner bundle). New version gives you a lot of useful things:

- Stealth mode automatic disabling feature. Now the server is able to disable stealth mode automatically if incompatible application (FRAPS 2.9.8 and newer) is detected and running. So you no longer need to disable stealth mode manually if you need to run the server simultaneously with FRAPS (just keep in mind that stealth technologies will not be active in this case).
    - Direct3D11 OSD and screen capture support.
    - Optional On-Screen Display 3D rendering mode. By default On-Screen Display is being rendered using hardware accelerated 2D frame buffer access functions, because such implementation gives the maximum compatibility with the majority of 3D applications. However, 2D frame buffer access is restricted in Direct3D10 and Direct3D11 for multisampled frame buffers, so previously OSD was not supported in DirectX10 applications when MSAA was enabled. Now there is alternate new OSD rendering mode (controlled by “On-Screen Display 3D” option in the server’s properties), allowing the server to use 3D acceleration instead of 2D to display OSD in DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications even when MSAA is enabled. Also, new 3D rendering mode creates real magic on ATI graphics cards. Due to TERRIBLY optimized 2D frame buffer access functions in the Catalyst drivers (buffer clear functions in DX9 and buffer copy functions in DX10/DX10) 2D OSD rendering mode was causing abnormally high performance hit when enabling OSD on ATI graphics cards (also applies to alternate OSD tools like ATI Tray Tools). 3D OSD rendering mode is much much MUCH more effective on ATI systems. Did I say that I truly “love” ATI drivers? :D
    - Direct3D10 and Direct3D11 screen capture support for applications using MSAA and non-standard frame buffer formats (e.g. sRGB).

I hope that new server will be released with RT 2.25, EVGA Precision 1.9.2 and MSI Afterburner in April when NVIDIA’s DX11 Fermi series hit the market. Till that time I’d like to publicly test new 3D OSD rendering mode with your help. If you wish to test it, please download it from our server (link is referrer protected, so it will work ONLY from this forum):

http://files.guru3d.info/guru3d/rivatuner/RTSS370Beta5.rar

Just give it a try in some games. Also remember that you can use the server as standalone framerate monitoring solution (just like FRAPS) even without having RT, Precision or Afterburner running. To do it just tick “Show own statistics” in the server’s properties and it will display the framerate itself, without any client applications running. If you find any games having problems with new OSD 3D rendering mode, please let me know.

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    BlindBison likes this.
  2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    RTSS standalone, settings in attachement.
    The Saboteur, Men of War - Red Tide and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 are fine, in Silent Hunter 5 I have a black screen when loading game menu (closing RTSS and I have my menu back).
    That's all I have installed ATM.

3. Unwinder

Thanks. Is it DX9 game? Does the issue disappear when OSD 3D mode is disabled?

4. Unwinder

Here is the list of games I've currently tested myself:

Direct3D11

Unigine Heaven
    Battlefield : Bad Company 2
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Call of Pripyat
    Aliens vs Predator
    Colin McRae : Dirt 2

Direct3D10

3D Mark Vantage
    Crysis
    Crysis Warhead
    Company of Heroes
    Company of Heroes : Opposing Fronts
    Company of Heroes : Tales of Valor
    Call of Juarez : Bound in Blood
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Clear Sky
    Lost Planet : Extreme Condition
    Tom Clansy’s : H.A.W.X
    Dark Void
    Far Cry 2
    Resident Evil 5

Direct3D9

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare
    Call of Duty : World at War
    Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2
    Command and Conquer 3 : Tiberium Wars
    Command and Conquer 3 : Kane’s Wrath
    Batman : Arkham Asylum
    GTA IV
    Street Fighter IV
    Mini Ninjas
    Assasin’s Creed 2

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Counter Strike : Source
    L4D,L4D2
    HalfLife 2 & EP1/2
    Supreme Commander 2
    Killing Floor
    GRID
    GTA3,Vicecity and San Andreas

No problems with.

6. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Yep to both questions. :)
    It has something to do with this? :D

7. Unwinder

Just examined my D3D9 OSD rendering code and found that I don't restore 3D application's stencil buffer state after rendering OSD so it can be the problem if some D3D9 application is enabling stencil bufffer just once and not on each frame. Hope that's the case.
    Are there any options allowing enabling/disabling stencil buffer in this game by any chance? Or probably options allowing you to disable the shadows? Toggling them in the game could help to localize the problem.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  8. Unwinder

Don't think so. ;)

9. Unwinder

By the way, do you see RTSS's OSD on top of that black screen?

10. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    All games settings max-out @ 1920x1200 and work with no problems with new RTSS.

Gears of war : DX10

Red Faction Guerrila : DX10

Borderlands : DX9

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising : DX9

11. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    I don't see game setting, I have that black screen before I can change anything in game.
    Yep, FPS and a black screen. Everything is running in background, game reach his Main settings window but I don't see anything but a black screen with FPS's.
    As soon I disable that 3D mode Main settings window appears from nowhere. :)

12. Unwinder

FPS and a black screen is good, much better that no FPS at all. That's definitively improperly restored 3D application rendering pipeline state from the server's side issue. Examined Dx9 rendering code once again and see no potential problems besides stencil buffer state restoring issue. Will fix it and upload new build tomorrow. Hope it will fix your issue.
    Jest returned to home and installed then added couple more items to the list of tested DirectX9 games:

Overlord II
    Terminator Salvation
    Bionic Commando
    Need for Speed : Shift

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  13. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    I dunno if it helps but before reaching his main screen game has an intro movie which is played fine (without FPS though). When I skip (or even let it run till the end) intro movie I have that black screen with game loading in background.

14. Unwinder

The list of tested applications has been appended with:

Dead Space
    Wings of Prey

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Red Faction Guerrilla OK

Win XP DX9 and Win 7 DX10.

16. Unwinder

3 more games in the list:

F.E.A.R. 2 : Project Origin
    Portal
    Space Siege

17. Unwinder

Added one more game to succesfully tested list:

Wolfenstein 2009

And finally found a game in my collection that doesn't work properly:

Tomb Raider : Anniversary.

So I $%^$ed half of night with Lara instead of sleeping, trying to make her look properly :D The symptoms were quite similar to what burebista mentioned above (just a black screen on startup instead of tittle movies, but OSD was also rendered in unexpected color). So I nailed two issues at once and fixed both of them. So I beleive that issue with Silent Hunter 5 has the same root and is also fixed now. Will upload new build a few hours later.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  18. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Take your time, I'm at work now. :)
    Glad you made Lara looks good. :D

19. Unwinder

New version (3.7.0 beta 2) has been uploaded to the server. Changes list includes:

- Fixed FVF setup in DX8 3D OSD codepath
    - Fixed stencil buffer render state reset in DX9 OSD codepath
    - Fixed vertex stream 0 input reset in DX9 OSD codepath (was causing into movies to disappear in Tomb Raider : Anniversary)
    - Now fog is forcibly disabled in DX8 and DX9 OSD rendering codepaths (was causing OSD to be displayed in abnormal color in Tomb Raider : Anniversary)

20. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Thank you Sir. :thumbup:

View attachment 3336

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.