Have you played......Far Cry 2?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Looking back at one of my favourite shooters of its generation RPS asks....have you played Far Cry 2?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/have-you-played/

2. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Yes I did, and I hated it for the reasons in the last paragraph of your quote. Didn't bother playing it after a couple of hours.

Far Cry 3, now that's a good game. I've yet to play FC4.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This....I played about 2 hours of the game, uninstalled it and never touched it again. Got FarCry3 on a sale but haven't finished it yet. Loved Blood Dragon though.

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yep, finished it 2x and halfway through a third time... never did manage to find every diamond though.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I tried playing FC3 after enjoying FC4 for hours, days and weeks, and FC3 was horrendous lol

You should try FC4, definitely a huge improvement in just about all ways IMO

6. EmmyChan

EmmyChan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 ASUS
    I played the second one on console when it first came out, it was alright. Mechanically the game was great, and the graphics were good for the time. My only problem with the game was the lack of story and direction in the game. When Far Cry 3 came around, I really think that game made the series what it is today. FC3 is actually one of my favorite games ever made mainly for the thrilling and gripping story and well written characters. FC4 was a improvement on the series, mainly graphical wise. The story was good but I think FC3 had a better written story.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yes, but I still think far cry 3 is the best in the series. Fc 2 just felt like an empty world with no meaningful story.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I like FarCry. The series.

That is all I will say, as this "discussion" has been done time and time again. ;)

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Dammit. My carefully constructed plan didn't work. :D

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Same here, thought the original FC was OK but couldn't stand the second one.

I prefer Crysis games over FC series for some reason. Haven't tried FC3 or 4 though.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    After excellent first FC comes something like FC2 and somehow didnt appeal to me. Its was different, confusing, dull and compered to first game looked one-colored. That malaria was ****ing annoying.

I fould FC3 to be great, finished it very fast, FC4 on the other hand again didnt played. Its just recycled FC3.

I guess thats the pattern, gonna play FC5 for sure. :D

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    FC2 is by far my favorite game of the series.

13. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    This ...

And this ...

And this ...

It's quite clear why lots of players did not like this game. Not to mention the mumbling, 100 mile per hour, unintelligable NPC dialogue and the complete lack of any coherent story, all combined to make Far Cry 2 a mess. Occasionally it was a nice mess, but mostly it was a messy mess!

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I played it and really didn't like it at all. It didn't even come close to the first game in enjoyment and replayability. In fact, I never finished it and regretted buying it. FC3 wasn't much better and I was hesitant about trying 4 but so far , I like it. I think it's the best one since the original.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    RPS is starting to go down the click bait path.
    They know its a controversial game and because of that, they post this article at least once every few months.

With that said, this is easily one of my fav shooters of the last decade+. Its not perfect, not even close. What it does get right, that todays iterations of FC do not, is that it somehow manages to make doing the same tasks over and over again, not boring. I hate repetition.

This is something I dont understand and even more so when i take into account that FC3/4 which also contains repetitive side missions some of the most mundane, shallow, crass, intellectually offensive digital toff I've ever come across.

Perhaps its the environment. FC2's world, while nowhere near as jam packed with life compared to its successors, it somehow feels far more organic and alive than anything since. Crawling through the jungle, attempting to get the broken stealth mechanic to work in your favor, failing 90% of the time but still wanting to do it all again. Yes, it is the environment that keeps me going back. Much like STALKERS, its just alive, its atmospheric, its able to make me feel that im safe within its dense forest and shrub. Slowly creeping through as the leaves and grass react to my presence as i get closer to my target.... thats when the adrenaline starts to builds up. Suns going down, ahh darkness. Im wounded, i have but one round left in my silenced pistol, im far from a safe house, extremely out numbered and once again, its all my own god damn fault. This is what I remember gaming being about, just me and my tendency to **** it all up in anticipation for that one kill. I am home.

Imo, in the case of FC2, less is undeniably more. In the case of FC3/4, they function perfectly as games and far more than FC2 ever did and i wont deny that they are the better games. But thats the problem, they care more about checklists and having it all rather than player engagement. They forget the most important thing.. Im meant to be having fun, not doing chores. I hate chores. I hate repetition.

Yeah, its the environment that keeps me coming back.

FC2 is the better holiday.
    FC3/4 is work experience.

FC2, much like stalker, really wants to spend time with the player.
    FC3/4. They just want to keep the player busy in hopes that it'll distract them from how little there really is on offer. Sort of like North Korea.

I know where id rather be.

Edit: I've tried my hand at modding this game in regards to the malaria and other problems, but the changes never stick or even apply. So if anyone knows a sure way to address this, that would be much obliged.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hell, RPS put out an article last year about the same time about why FarCry 2 is the best in the series.

Thought it was odd they did... basically the same thing again.
    So, 2016... another article about how FC2 is the best in the series?

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, like i said. Getting click-baitish over there.

Dont really visit their site much anymore becasue of this. The comments section is probably the least toxic on the net though. So i'll give em that.

Best in the series? Will it depends on what you want from your games, really. Does that need an article. No, not really.

18. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    From a pure enjoyment perspective, Far Cry 1 was my favorite of all so far (up to FC3 since I haven't played 4). Atmosphere wise, FC2 gets my vote. Sure it doesn't have as much wildlife as FC3, but I always felt the animal encounters in FC3 to be a bit too forced and too frequent. All in all, the whole series is too shallow for my taste. I much prefer the no hand holding buggy-quirky-poorly voice acted open world games by eastern european developers like GSC gameworld and Deep Shadows, but that's just me, I'm an oddball.

edit: a bit OT, people may laugh but Chrome is still my favorite game from Techland and Chaser (Cauldron) is one of my favorite old(ish) school fps games.

19. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I liked FC3 but FC2 felt the superior game in the end. The enemy respawn frequency for outposts though is ridiculously high. It felt like IGI 2 but in an open world setting. Probably the last game of its kind.

20. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    But of course I must reply to this thread. Coincidentally I am close to finishing the first half of FC2 on "Infamous". I think I have played the campaign completely through about 50 times now. I have seen things happen in this game that can only be witnessed by playing it so many times. I keep asking myself why I enjoy this game so much while so many others hate it? Listing pros and cons doesn't answer the question.

It's how I play the game that makes it fun and how the game is designed versus the other more recent games that makes a huge difference. The story line no longer matters to me other than to provide a basic structure for completing the missions. FC2 is basically a series of tactical situations that you must succeed in navigating in order to reach the mission goal. How you approach each checkpoint and what tactics you use determines how much of a challenge there is. The checkpoints are the heart of the game which is why I think the designers made them re-spawn the way they do.

I deliberately limit myself to a specific set of weapons throughout the entire game and use those weapons only in specific ways to increase the difficulty. I never use mounted machine guns in trucks or other fixed locations as they are included in the hit accuracy tally. Mounted grenade launchers to not count in the hit accuracy so I do use them when possible.

I use: machete, IED's, M1903 sniper rifle and LPO-50 flame thrower. I upgrade only these weapons if and when possible.

I only shoot the sniper rifle if I can shoot two enemies at once. Sometimes I must spend a lot of time positioning myself for such a shot and wait for the opportunity (two guys lined up for a head shot)...just like in real life. As a result, my hit accuracy is always 200%.

Vehicle chases are one of the funnest parts of the game. The vehicles perform and handle better in FC2 than any of the other FC releases. The enemy is also much more aggressive with vehicles in FC2. They will try to push you off the road, use the PIT maneuver, or play chicken with you if coming head to head. Depending on the checkpoint location I will often deliberately bait the enemy by driving close enough for them to come after me in vehicles just for the fun of seeing how it plays out. It's important to note that how you treat your vehicle determines how quickly it wears out and takes damage so stay on roads when possible, don't hit trees or drive over rocks or through ditches if you can avoid them.

The malaria thing never bothered me and it does appear at inconvenient moments at times...so what's the big deal? It's a wild card factor just as life would have it.

I could sit here and describe a typical mission step by step but I don't think it would be good to post it here. There are some missions that are easy and some that are very difficult playing the game the way I do. I guess I have made FC2 a different game because of how I play it. I cannot do this in FC3 or 4.

In my opinion, the designers have made FC3 and 4 too busy with too many activities, too many weapons, too much money and way too much automated game play. Compared to FC2 they give the impression of being at an amusement park with lots of distractions making the main missions difficult to stay focused on and breaking the suspension of disbelief. I'm sure they are a blast for the casual and younger crowd but I have been very disappointed with them.

I really wish the company would invest some of its expertise in designing a truly hardcore tactical fighting game. This is what they stumbled upon with FC2 and they could make it better if they would only try. I don't see why it cannot be integrated as a hardcore option in their subsequent releases. It's really sad they they have succumbed to pleasing only the general audience for profit reasons.