Corsair Link -Strange happenings.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nz3777, Apr 24, 2016.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Ok for some (strange) reason I decided to try Corsair-Link,wanted to change the color from white to red, Went to fire-up a game-Metro Last light Redux and noticed I am getting unusually low fps-My gpu is now ruuning at 500 Mhz instead of its usual 1163Mhz boost clock (Gtx 780) WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON/! ....

Open Msi-Afterburner and load my profile number 1 again,fire-up the game again and same thing 500 mhz gpu clock.....

Decided to unistall Corsair-link to see if that has any affect on my Gpu core and sure enough behold my Gpu is running at its usual clocks and games are running the way they schould be! What the hell corsair?

1) i7 4790k @ 4.6 Ghz 1.359 v-core (stable)
    2)Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
    3)Corsair H80 i version 1-Full speed on the fans ect...
    4)Corsair hx 850 psu
    5)Evga Gtx 780 Sc acx-1163 Boost clock

I like the fact obviously that you can change the color but I just left it on Red to match the rest of my system, Obviously I cannot keep corsair-link on account of it downclocking my Gpu so do I have any other alternative options here? Thanks guys.Can you please let me know if this is a common problem with corsair-link with the Gpu issue? Nick:)

2. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    I have similar symptoms. but I didn't know it was from corsair link! i will try your solution

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Corsair Link is the buggiest PoS ever, report it on their forum and hope they don't break another 10 things when they try to fix it, and fail

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yeah I unistall it and problem went away, Must be from Corsair-Link.Will do I will register and report it to them, Lol @ breaking 10 things in the meantime-Shocker sounds like some of the people I work with at my job.

5. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Yeah, I'm using Corsair Link, because the fans on the H80i are extremely loud with default settings. But I had some problems with it in the past.

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Well have you had any Gpu downclocking issues since installing it? I mean I just left my fans set at 80% and left the color to Red, that is pretty much all I needed from them anyway but I am curious if other users also had similar issue as mine.It is newest version which is 4.2.2.27 I think?

7. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    No, I had other issues, but I have 3.2.5676 installed and not planning to upgrade it, because now it's stable for me.

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I dont know if its worth trying diffrent versions and what not but thank you for your feedback.

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

This Corsair Link V4 is just mess,I've been using previously V3 version which has been much better and with that I've never have any issues,but V3 is not compatible with mine H100i V2,but mainly I can't control with V4 my fans as previously with V3

With V3 I can control any fan,with V4 I simply can't control BeQuiet Pure Wings at all,then I can cycle LED on Corsair like previously with v3(in my case I've set light blue for 35C,strong blue for 65C and red for 75C),with V4 you can have only one light not cycling

Usually now,I'm just turning off CL as this causing high GPU idle clocks(they stuck at 1126MHz) if CL is running and plus if CL is running can cause high CPU usage(Corsair Link Service is at fault),usually around 12-16% depends on CPU

I would recommend to have this installed,but just close CL when is running or end process through the Task Manager,set yours desired light and fan and turn off

Or you can use SIV64,not sure if H80i can be controlled through this,but my older H100i can be and this v2 can't be,in SIV64 you can set light or control the fans,just you will need to have installed drivers for Corsair etc,if SIV is running you need to close CL

Depends on model of corsair,I would switch to CL v3 as v4 is very buggy and you can have look on their thread over on Corsair Forum

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Sweet that answers some of my questions, Thank you sir! I have the Corsair H-8o i version 1.So what your saying is....Open Cl dial-in your settings then end it with task manager right? Let me give that a shot and see if anything happens.Will report back in few minutes, Thanks guys.Nz

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    It worked just like you said! I tested both Metro 2033 Redux and Last light redux no downclocking anymore! Plus I got to pick the color I like most hehe,I owe you a Beer Jura as long as your not ( 11 ) like it says in your name haha.Thanks again to everyone.

Check out my settings- Fixed fan mode I have it set to 80%, Pump is in Performance mode according to the app, Cpu during gaming will reach 60c @ 4.6 ghz 1.359 v-core does that sound about right to you guys for this set-up? 60c is not dangerous for Intel's Right? I am wondering if i can take the v-core down a little bit> ?

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Glad it works for you there

I don't think 60C is dangerous,I would keep CPU under 75C,you don't want to see 85C and above on any CPU,when I do render my temps are in 60's too,hottest core can hit 68C,but my fans only running 750RPM,I hate noise or noisy fans

Please have look on this,its SIV64

http://rh-software.com/

and guide for yours H80

http://sivtxt.zz.vc/Using SIV to Control Corsair Link Hardware.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I got it up to 4.6 Ghz but.....I did not like 2 things, 1st of all the v-core is 1.359 isnt that a little high? 2nd During stress testing I will hit max 80c on the 4790k,I dont know maybe I will try to lower the voltage a tad? Thanks for all the help guys, You guys are amazing!

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I think 1.35v vCore is bit high for 4,6GHz,I'm running 1.25v at 4.6GHz,tried 4.7GHz,but is unstable when is rendering,in games is stable like should and in most benches it will pass on 1.25v,for stable rendering I need to put 1.31v on vCore

Depends on stress test and benches,something like Prime is putting too much stress and mainly heat which you will never see,i would try OCCT and RealBench from Asus and Cinebench too which is good tool for stability and OC

But again,no everyone i7 4790k is same,my friend have too i7-4790k and on his at 4.6GHz he needs to run 1.35v and for 4.7GHz and above he needs to run beyond 1,4v,due this hard to say,but I would try play with vCore and BIOS and try again to lower vCore

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yeah I think the v-core was spiking my temps really high! i scored 1023 marks on Hwbot I am not even sure what that means and if its any good but I decided to back-down to 4.4 ghz amd 1.25 v-core,I cannot really tell a diffrence anyway. Thank you guys.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Difference between 4.4GHz and 4.6GHz its 200MHz and this you can feel only in applications which use all cores in once,something like rendering,but still yours render times will be marginal faster with 4.6GHz

Same as previously I've run day to day on my X5670 4.2GHz because the temps and vCore,in some cases I've run 4.4GHz but temps has been in 75-80's in rendering and I hate such high temps and difference in 100 pass render has been 1 minute only

In gaming I don't think you will feel difference or any program unless you are rendering or if you do benchmark

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

17. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    4.4ghz to 4.6ghz is always 4.5%, whether it provides benefit has got nothing to do with how many cores are used.

If you're running a single-threaded game that it completely CPU bound, you will see a ~4.5% improvement.

If you're doing rendering using all cores, you will see a ~4.5% improvement.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    No all I meant was its not worth the xtra heat the cpu generates for such a small return.But then again I did not even try to lower the v-core it was set on auto.Btw I think for some strange reason my Cpu is a engineering sample-What does that mean exactly and is that a good or a bad thing? Sorry for the stupid question.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Agree if those extra 200MHz generate more heat then I would rather prefer have lower clocks with good temps,same this happen to me as above I've said with X5670

I wouldn't set vCore at Auto at all,this Auto mode usually putting more voltages like you are really need,try to play with voltages and try to lower and test this with games or Asus RealBench its good starting point..

Regarding Intel ES,those CPU are pre-production CPU and those shouldn't be sold to public,but hey my friend running 2 ES Xeons in his PC

Here is more infos about the ES

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005719.html

If its ES then this can explain yours high voltages needed for 4.6GHz,but maybe you got just lemon/bad batch of CPU,this can happen and happen to me with older i7-920 or 930,when with one I've couldn't run more than 3.8GHz and on next one I've been rocking 4.4GHz for almost one year without single BSOD

Did you bought this i7-4790k from shop or did you bought as used ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura