Back with a new build (Med. Res.)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrCompillitrate, Apr 3, 2016.

1. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    It's been a few years since i've been here. But i am back with a new PC!

AMD FX-8320 8-core w/ Cooler Master T4
    ASUS Pro Gaming 970 Aura
    2x8gb Ballistix Tactical OB
    PNY 240Gb SSD
    Seagate 1Tb 7200RPM HDD
    Corsair Carbide Spec Alpha White Version
    Logisys 575W with modded fan
    PNY GT210
    CM Storm Devastator II Mouse and Keyboard
    Acer 27" Monitor

I'll be ordering a 1000w PSU off Amazon this week. I just ordered a GTX460 for $45 to hold me off until I buy a Gigabyte GTX970 G1 towards the end of the month.

Some Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This PSU obviously has short cables. :/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ... Wat? Why would you buy an AMD CPU? Clock for clock that thing is a galaxy behind any modern CPU. You'd have to clock it to 6GHz to come anywhere close to an Intel counterpart. And no they can't clock that high. Pray to whatever deity you believe in that DX12's multithreaded CPU calls make that chip you bought usable. It sure as hell doesn't pass in DX11 with its single threaded calls.

And DON'T buy a 970 at this point in time. Save your money and wait for AMD/nVidia's new offerings later in the year. Maxwell architecture seem incapable of fully supporting all DX 12 features, a big one being asynchronous compute, which some games may make big use of. That makes AMD counterparts, which the 970 used to beat, far more effective.

Speaking of waiting until later in the year, at the end of the year AMD release their Zen CPU architecture which will blow their old Bulldozer derivatives out of the water. Dare I say it; there might even be some competition for Intel for the first time since 2005!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    Man, I'm too cheap for Intel. Lol. I liked my old Vishera (FX6300). That's almost hostile. :confused:

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Almost hostile? I gave you facts and advice. I don't know what you want. It doesn't make sense to build a gaming rig in this day and age with an AMD CPU unless you got that thing for like $50. At least not just months before Zen is released. What does you liking it have to do with anything?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1543

That's as close of a comparison I can give you clock for clock, there's slight issues with it. That and it's 8 AMD pseudo cores vs 4 cores. Like I said you're going to have some serious bottleneck issues in DX 11 games. You can only hope DX 12's calls being multithreaded make that CPU useful, otherwise unless you're playing a severely GPU limited game anything you throw in that rig is going to be choked by that CPU.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Neo Cyrus Tact isn't your strong suit is it? lol

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well screw me for trying to help.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Problem is that the parts have already been ordered and put together. If it were a planning list then it changes the tone of your comments :). It will be interesting to see how AMD Zen actually performs at the end of the year, and how Intel fanbois or anti-AMD people respond to it if it does perform really well.

I do agree though, better to wait for the new GPU offerings coming out in the next couple of months or so. Interesting you choseto go AMD CPU but Nvidia GPU.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Some places charge a 5-10% restocking fee and you can return just about anything, CPUs included.

If Zen doesn't do well enough to be an option in the high end then we're all screwed, Intel will just continue to rob us all. They're already changing their 2 year cycle of barely any advancement to a 3 year cycle. As if the state of advancement wasn't crippled enough as it is.

9. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    Because it's MY computer?

I appreciate the advice, but it honestly feels you're attacking me for using AMD, which i have always used. I think it's a nice computer, i'm sorry it's not up to your standards, but it's up to mine.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Like I said, just trying to help. My point with that was that whether you like it or not doesn't change reality. You're realistically going to end up with a bottlenecked GPU unless DX 12 makes a massive difference and you OC the hell out of your CPU.

It's not about standards or what anyone likes, believe me I don't like Intel, it's about having parts which make sense together. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari's body then put in the engine of a 1980s Honda Civic. It's an incredible waste of whatever GPU you end up getting, especially if it's the level of a 970 or higher.

And regarding the 970 you plan on buying, even with a CPU bottleneck I would not buy a 970 at this point. It costs what it did in 2014. In Canada it actually costs a lot more.

So the TL;DR of my advice is: OC your CPU as much as you can if you don't plan on returning it and don't pay the 2014 price for a 970, it's close to the release of the next gen.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The paradox of being 100% right and still, 100% wrong.
    @ Neo Cyrus, i concur, and still we are both in the wrong.
    We, gurus, as a group, we tend to listen and quickly offer a solution, blurting it out, regardless of something that builded up lately....that speaking one's mind today upsets more that yesterday.
    Now, to be clear..to the OP. Yes, you are 100% entitled to buy whatever CPU you see fit, and that ok with us, we respect your choice, and we love to help.
    But also we love to speak our mind, and rightfully so, we can step on a few toes, for the lack of tact, diplomacy, empathy, whatever.
    But i can vouch for Neo Cyrus genuinely trying to help, only that he simply stated facts and logic, and sometimes, facts, numbers and pure logic can hurt.

But data is data, one can interpret and analyze , and have a pure academic chat, or to be hurt and call for, you know...

OP, your cpu is fine if it floats your boat, knowing that there is a better alternative never hurt anybody.
    Have a nice day gents and i hope that this thread remains in the academic tracks.
    This forum is what we make of it.

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Nice mid range rig the FX is a nice CPU and very capable pairing it with a 970 will give you a nice gaming rig. I had FX8350 paired with a 970 and it was really good yes intel rigs got higher FPS but I could still play the same games just the FPS was lower but everything else felt about the same.

(I have never owned an AMD GPU but the 390 looks a better option for long term use)

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Nice! I like all of the touches that make it yours. Red fans with a white one trapped by them, the little blue (soon to be replaced) PSU fan looking all sneaky out the bottom back part.

As for the AMD/Intel stuff, I thought it a tiny bit strange to go with that CPU for a 970 at first, but it's not my money so it doesn't matter to me. I made my dad a desktop machine for business tasks and light gaming with an AMD FX8320(8350? - not sure) and a nvidia 670. He plays some CoD and AoE with medium/high settings and if it's around 30FPS he is totally fine with it.

Make sure to keep us updated as you replace stuff and maybe even do some unplanned tweaks or rewiring projects. :)

P.S. Glad that you came back to your Guru family

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    At this stage of the game. I would have waited until the Zen CPUs come out. However The OP might have needed a computer upgrade and he could not wait. As for purchasing a 970 when there are better cards around the corner not a good idea however the OP thinks a 970 is good enough for what he does with it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  15. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I don't think it's being helpful knocking what he bought in that tone.Being right sometimes don't mean much.Offering the opinion about the gpu which I happen to agree with as far as the waiting a bit is fine because he hasn't bought it yet so that actually is helpful.Reading it from a third party perspective it did seem a little like an attack.Just my humble opinion :).

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Interesting thing is if AMD Zen wipe the floor of Intel, and Intel effectively become the new AMD Bulldozer-esque company, the same people languishing the use of AMD would likely still.

That said, personally now would be one of those few times in the computer world where waiting is beneficial, since there are truly better stuff 'just around the corner'.

17. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    From what i've read, the 8320 is fine for a 970. I heard ARMA sucks with it, but ive never played it. Hell, i'm happy to play Crysis Warhead with stable frames with this 460. I Oc'd the CPU a little, but these Apevia fans i bought are cheap and merely for aesthetics and ideal purposes(what color fan should go where) until i buy some decent ones, and i don't trust their airflow.

This is the first "serious" build i've made since...2011? Whenever the GTX280s came out. I was considering finding another gtx460 (they're all over for $40) to hold me off until Pascal comes out. Gives me some time to save up.

Fender178: Pretty much. This was before i knew about Zen and Pascal. But that's my fault, my friends all started to build towers and i was the last one out.

BuildeR2 and Barry J: Thanks! I think it looks cool, but there's a lot more to come aesthetically. Probably go H20 but keep the red/white scheme.

Thanks for the input guys!
    You too Neo.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Those colors looks incredible *.* GJ OP!

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Sometimes it's better to be cruel to be kind. But I could see why neo comes over a bit strong to some, that said the truth is often brutal and we are all on here to get the best bang for our buck no?

Still enjoy your new build OP looks great. Mine is def in need of an overhaul :) (but have a new hobby).