An upgrade from gtx670 SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mato87, Sep 24, 2014.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Just about $1100 USD, (was saving for awhile though as I had planned on upgrading my previous cards this year (2x 680 2GB)). I am currently just using the SLI bridge that came with my motherboard, but I'm looking to buy the matching one sometime in the future. The cards are EVGA SC's with the titan cooling.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Nice one, good luck with the cards :)

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wow that got out of hand quickly. All I was saying to the OP was not to expect too much from Ubi-port when it comes to an enjoyable PC experience.

4. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    We all know how ubisoft literally craps on the pc port, but what can you do.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    lol. Well we usually eventually get a playable game.

6. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Well it's not all that bad, there are some exceptions, I mean Far Cry 3 was an allright PC port, so was the blood dragon, I enjoyed those games immensely, there were fps drops in some areas but it wasn't all that noticeable if you weren't running an fps overlay.

7. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    Well think of it this way you should be able to get like 350 bucks for both of those cards. All you would need is like 200 dollars out of your pocket to get the gtx 980. Going from gtx 670 sli to a single gtx 970 may even be slower in some situations. But honestly at 1080 gaming 1 gtx 970 is plenty. So you have to ask yourself. Is the time and hassle of selling 2 gtx 670's to buy 1 gtx 970 worth it? It shouldn't cost you any money but the only benefits you will be getting is lower power less heat and less noise. The performance will be about identical but that's all you need at 1080p anyways.

TLDR Is the time spent selling and replacing the gtx 670's worth it when all you are getting is lower heat lower power use and lower noise and no SLI issues while keeping nearly identical performance? IMO it is worth the trouble. I despise SLI.

8. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    I appreciate your concern, but I have already decided what to do with a help of a few people here. I already sold my two gtx 670s for 200 euro each about 4 days ago and bought two gtx 970's from the retailer, but I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks, because they don't have the cards on stock due to high demand and the awesome price they go for, I was lucky enough to get myself on the front preorder queue so I can pick out the cards from the latest batch that they will restock in 2 weeks. Now I just have to wait for the puppies :grin2:
    I have had a few issues with sli, the worst sli setup I had over the years was the setup with double 8800 gts 512 mb, I had tons of issues with those when I got them, when I finally decided to get rid of them I bought a dual core gtx 295 and I had it for about 4 years without a single issue, but once the card started to become obsolete I decided to buy a couple of gtx 670's in the summer of 2012 and they lasted 2 years before I got rid of them too :)
    So to sum it up I never had any major issues using sli rigs to be honest, only the first sli rig had a lot of them, but that was to be expected of course :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014