Well folding and my AMD killed 3 sofar

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by MKube402, Oct 25, 2015.

1. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    it seems some of their units are good quality http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=266 here is an example

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Well i have 1 ssd, 2 hdds, 10 fans in total, 2 on cpu, 3 on gpu, 5 on case.
    And its still going strong. Never had any psu issues for the past 2 years.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, quality in some areas is subjective. In the final "score" he notes an issue with solder....or lack of...on 1 connection. He declares the build quality "solid" even though the lack of sufficient solder on any joints would prove otherwise. That alone could cause major issues down the road as the solder joint heats and cools.

A single test run, such as most sites do, isn't enough to test reliability of a unit to any extent. Fact is, most of the PSU's on the market will have little trouble in day to day use, if installed in the proper system for their output. Anyone trying to fold on a 450watt unit should expect it to fail....especially trying to power an FX-8350 and GTX570.... That's the perfect example of stressing a PSU well beyond it's designed capabilities. Nothing below a 750watt unit should be installed in that system.

4. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    was never folding with the GTX570 when i was running any of the 450w Power supply it was all CPU

when folding on the 600watt i Nerfed the CPU down to 6 cores

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A high quality, high efficiency PSU like an EVGA P2 should last you even with constant levels of load on it. Since the efficiency is much higher you would probably save on your power bill over time too. The EVGA P2's have a 10 year warranty, they're pretty confident that it will last whatever you throw at it.

It almost seems as if the OP is bragging that they've blown up the PSU's, seeing as they're insisting on still buying the low end PSU's knowing full well they could blow at any time. It all sounds well and good until such time that it takes out the rest of the computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  6. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    Bingo! i am bragging...
    The AMD FX sit at work and just folds its brains out i don't care what happens to it... I use the cheep PSU's because i get them DIRT cheep... i got the CX750m for $50... it is now sitting in an open frame at work... if it wrecks any thing it is a base model GTX570 and low end $50 main board i think i am out $300.
    so if any one is upset buy this think of it as an experiment if the cx750 lives for more then a year its a good PSU...

my PC and my wife's PC computers have good PSU and i don't beet the crap out of them

7. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    interesting too see how long they last what the list of names like and time of the psu you've tried so far?

8. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I've always held with the assertion that the PSU is the life blood of your PC and the cheaper you go the more you stand to loose I'd rather spend a little more for good quality than go cheap and have my whole pc go poo

9. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Get an Enermax Psu, Problems solved, :)

Very expensive psu but psu is the most important component in any high end pc build, especially gaming rigs.

Although I had an very old galaxy one years ago and that went out but I think I overloaded it to much, turn on your pc, the whole bedroom goes dark, trips the breaker.

But I had this psu for quite some time, Excellent psu.

Enermax is like asus for motherboards, wont switch anytime soon, all my mobo's been asus for the most part.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Amen to that, A-M-E-N = Spells AMEN!!

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

I mean if your dumping $$$ on high end components, at least at first buy a good high quality build psu, that is utmost of great importance, I can not stress this enough.

My highest recommendations on a Very good psu price wise:

$250-$300 U.S.D

200 maybe at the very least, but I recommended the above price range, even though that doesn't mean crap'o'la in some ways.

Granted, there is good ones out there that I am totally unaware of, stuff from Ultraproducts,Lepa,and so on.

This enermax psu I am using, I been using this since the x58 build, never used x79, I waited for the haswell-e cpu to come out along with the new ddr4 technology.

And that x58 system was highly overclocked, Xeon W3550 oc'ed @ around 4.4-4.5ghz I believe it was or a lil higher, GTX 690(Not at default clock speeds), Ran at that speed at all times, Not once did my psu ever flunked and still using it now, Excellent Built PSU, especially for lasting this long.

And I did alot of stress test on cpu's with this PSU, I have yet to see it fail.

I try to maintain it once in awhile, take it apart, use electronic dust cleaner, works excellent, clean psu FTW.

Hilbert did an review on the Current PSU I own, here take a look:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/enermax_revolution_85_1020w_psu_review,1.html

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    How I read it:

13. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    better buy good/best quality psu than you buy whole rig part coz burned out by cheap psu:thumbup:

14. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    A new, quality PSU will quite likely last until the ATX connector standard is literally replaced by another. Fanless 80+ Titanium, yum