2.0 + sub suggestions

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Mr._Murphy, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    I was looking for some opinions and advice on a 2.0 system and an additional subwoofer for my PC.

My soundcard is an x-fi hometheater hd.

I'm considering getting a set of Aktimate micros and a Wharfdale Diamond SW150 subwoofer.

Will this combination work with my sound card or should I consider something else?

I was considering the AudioEngine 5+ and the S8 Subwoofer, but I gather they possibly aren't as good?

Also should I look at SwanM50W 2.1?

Cheers.

2. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    do u have a amp ?

3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    But that is not the main thing if he wants good sound and not to move air, thats what people use fans for. :) I do get that some people like to have loads of air pressure for some kind of music, I'm not one of those. So question to OP, is it enough that sub can play low frequencies or do you like to have big elements moving air around ? Also, what kind of listenning distance do you have planned and what kind of room ? That Swan kit seems to be able to make over 80dB/element and for close range & for small room it's likely enough.

I'm unfortunately not able to recommend much to you as I dont follow many brands and their products. Are other opinions about what you should buy welcome ? Budget ? Is there a possibility for you to go to shop and listen those yourself (even though that those likely will sound different because of different acoustic properties of listenning room and your room and so...)?

BTW. Your listenning room, worth giving it a thought about trying to get rid of echoes and so (if you have those), perhaps spend a bit cash on that if you need.

5. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

The Wharedale and especially the Swan kits (with its 6.5" woofer) stated frequency response is probably at -10dB. That's all I'm saying.

The Wharfedale is probably fine for music as it's a ported 10" sub (likely with a very high tune, but whatever), but I don't think that the Swan kit should even be considered.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    It's a smallish room, and the system is primarily for games with a little bit of music.

I'd prefer a prebuilt system, and my budget is around $AU600 (hence the links to the Australian sites).

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Whichever subwoofer you get, with a 2.1 system you need a way of feeding the bass to it.
    You can do this on a PC through the soundcard driver by using bass redirection.
    But this wont work if plugging something other than your PC into the amp.

Alternatively, you can get a subwoofer with high level inputs (that feed from an amplifiers loudspeaker outputs) that take only the signal, not power.
    You then tell the subwoofer to roll off its upper frequency response at the lowest frequency (@-3dB) that your speakers respond to.
    So say your speakers lowest -3dB point is 50Hz, tell the sub to respond up to 50Hz.

if you get a subwoofer that doesnt have a high level input, you can use a high to low level converter (with adjustable level).
    I just bought one from Amazon for £2.60, it works very well.

An advantage of a separate high/low converter is if you know a little about electronics, you can make your own simple roll off filter to match really big speakers that go very low.
    Most subwoofer upper cut off filters dont go below 40Hz. If your speakers roll off at 30Hz, a custom filter is very handy to match them without getting lots of boom in the room.

8. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Sub: http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/41298-s8bk Frequency response is pretty impressive at 27-180Hz (+/- 1.5 dB). It's made out of 1" thick MDF. It even has wireless capabilities.

Speakers: http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/41296-a2bk - again, a pretty impressive frequency response for such a small speaker. 65-22kHz +/- 2dB. If only other manufacturers would give their specs in a meaningful manner such as this.

If you can spend a bit more, these are probably good as well: http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/46882-aktimicrobk . They don't list a meaningful frequency response, but the drivers are bigger, so it will likely play louder. They also have an iPod dock built in (lol).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    this

10. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV

So you're agreeing with me then?

Either way, I got eyes on the Warfdale Subwoofer. Much bigger than I expected! Hopefully the combo works a charm?

11. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I don't agree with the Wharfedale sub as they don't list a meaningful frequency response. They could measure at -10 dB for all we know. The Audioengine S8 goes to 27 Hz at -1.5 dB... pretty respectable for such a small sub IMO.

12. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    My only hesitation with the S8 is that it has received average reviews.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/Product/tabid/78/PID/28/CID/125/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Aside from that, I'm not sure of of more detailed specifications. Other than it appears to receive rave reviews at most AV stes.

13. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    (Keep in mind that I'm looking at US websites)

The S8 doesn't have many reviews, but they all seem to be positive. 5 stars on Amazon, for example. Similarly, the Wharedale has few reviews, but they are positive.

Either will likely fill your need. I just like specs, and the S8 claims to have some good ones. Good extension and low distortion.

That said, if you're set on the Wharfedale then get it. Don't let my obsession with numbers stop you.

14. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Don't get the Wharfedale sub, I've got one and it's not good, especially when you give it some decent volume... The S8 is probably alot better... :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

15. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    If I were to expand my budget, would either a Dayton SB-1000 or a SVS SB1000 be suitable?

The Aktimate Micro's are a given (I think the mini's might be overkill at this stage).

16. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The SVS SB1000 would be miles better imo :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

17. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    SB1000 looks legit. Bigger driver + more power.

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yep, and goes down to 24 hz...Also has adjustable dial phase settings and better terminals.

regards,
    RagDoll.