Ryzen 7 overclocking help needed!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by NabZ, Jun 14, 2017.

1. NabZ

NabZ Guest

GPU:
    GA AORUS 1080ti
    Hi guys

I'm pretty new to the overclocking of a CPU. Since I bought a Ryzen CPU with a kickass watercooler. I'd like some advice.

My setup:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
    Watercooler: Corsair H110i
    Mobo: Gigabyte AB350 gaming 3
    Memory: G.Skill FlareX 16GB @3200Mhz
    PSU: Corsair 850Rmi (850WATT)

Allot of people tell me that I could go with 3.9Ghz and 1.3625v. BUT, with Gigabyte ab350 board I can only set +0.000V to the (stock?) voltage. Any idea what the stock voltage is? Any overclockers out there willing to share their overclocking settings? What is the best way of overclocking, via BIOS or the Ryzen Master application?

Sorry for the my bad english. :)

Thanks in advance!!

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Bios is the best way imo. I just made a switch to ryzen and overclock it has been pretty much awful.

The default voltage for my ryzen chip is 1.375v I have no idea why but.. just try these settings here.

Ryzen 7 1700
    93% reach 3.8 GHz @ 1.376V
    70% reach 3.9 GHz @ 1.408V
    23% reach 4.0 GHz @ 1.440V

basically if your stock voltage is like mine aka 1.375 then just try to hit 3.9ghz with +0.200

3. NabZ

NabZ Guest

GPU:
    GA AORUS 1080ti
    OK, but how do I know my stock voltage? Cause atm the voltage is automatic controlled. Do I have to put it on normal in BIOS and check via cpuZ?

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Think you meant +0.02. 0.2 would put him at 1.5

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Oh damn.. 0.025 was what i actually meant.. Way too sleepy nowadays.

6. NabZ

NabZ Guest

GPU:
    GA AORUS 1080ti
    Thanks for the replies.

So, I could try set the following:

Dynamic Vcore SOC: +0.024 (can't set it to 25 lol)

But what is the difference with "Dynamic Vcore" and do I need to change these settings aswell?

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not know how Gigabyte labels the bios settings but should be close enough. Assumption being made... "Dynamic" is the equivalent to "Offset" on my boards.

How to figure the board's base voltage just requires a quick test. Set the +0.0XXX to a small figure like .01250. Save and exit to boot straight back into the bios. The voltage readout now includes the .01250 offset. Subtract the .01250 from the figure shown and there you have the base voltage. That is at least how it works on my board.

Vcore SOC involves the voltage applied to what has been referred to as Infinity Fabric and other items. It is recommended not to exceed 1.2000v for Vcore SOC. 1.1000v is the recommended target for that setting. Plain old Vcore is the cpu voltage and that is what was being mentioned to set at a +0.0250.

8. NabZ

NabZ Guest

GPU:
    GA AORUS 1080ti
    OK, so if I put these options:

http://prntscr.com/fk7vv5

I still don't seem to get a fixed cpu voltage as seen in the screenshot below? What am I missing here?

http://prntscr.com/fk7uwc

Don't know if the readings are thurstworthy, since not all are showing. But the CPU-Z (Gygabite edition) is also showing mixed voltages. Any ideas?

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    According to the second image, looks like the base voltage is 1.3750. Your dynamic vcore was set at +.00625. The rounding/truncation of the readout in the bios shows it as .006.

The voltage reading to pay attention to in the second image was the one in the far right column; the initial reading when the monitoring software was started. That reading is 1.38125. The rounding/truncation shows it as 1.38. 1.38125 - .00625 (the dynamic voltage setting) = 1.3750 which is the same figure IceVip came up with.

Offset is a more accurate word than dynamic for this kind of setting. Either way, just by definition, dynamic does not mean consistent. If you want the voltage to remain consistent, use the "manual" setting. That is the only way to have the voltage remain the same no matter the load placed on the cpu.