Vsync in games choppy, unstable frame rate

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kam03, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kam03

kam03 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 @ 1150/1450
    I am experiencing this weird stuttering, pause, lag effect when playing Ridge Racer Unbounded with vsync. So far this is the only tested I have tested.

Fraps has a handy feature that allows you to not only log just the frame rate of an application, but also the timings of individual frames, ie. how long it took to render it. So I started investigating...

Below is a graph of the timings of 60 frames taken from the middle of a 10 second long capture (around 600 frames total).

http://i.imgur.com/BgW7q.png

Notice that it says "Fullscreen" at the top. Here's what happens when i run the game in a window:

http://i.imgur.com/5Wy82.png

So in fullscreen mode you first have one frame that takes a really long time to render, followed by two very fast frames. In windowed mode there's much less variation and most of the frames are around 16 ms long. In theory, if we wanted a perfectly stable 60 frames per second frame rate, each frame would take exactly 16,66 ms to render. But even though the frame rate isn't completely stable in the windowed scenario either, I observed hardly any stuttering. It's so much smoother that I pretty much can't play the game unless I run it windowed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

My specs

Asus P8Z77-V
    i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
    Radeon HD 6970 with Catalyst 12.11 drivers
    8GB Ram
    Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

2. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Try using a framelimiter and limit the frames to 59 i know it sounds weird but i swear it works when games act stuttery. Msi afterburner has a built in frame limiter.

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    use Radeon Pro -> tweaks -> monitor resolution at 59 hz and (dynamic) DVC...it's magic

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Guys, even if this works I don't think we've solved the actual problem, it's just a workaround.

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    if ridge racer is the only thing tested... it could be poor implementation of vsync that the game is doing? (or just needing TB to be forced)