New BIOS out for GTX 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MichaelT, Dec 26, 2014.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I'm pretty sure they're universal. Someone on OCN mentioned flashing the same BIOS for both of his 970s that had Hynix and Samsung and worked fine. If you decide to do so just make sure you back up your previous BIOS just in case. And you can always jump onto your onboard video to reflash if anything goes wrong.. which I doubt :)

2. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

The VBIOS din't fix the Fan 2 issue at all, it was placebo laced with snake oil.

It fixed the random spinning which was an entirely different issue. The original fan 2 problem was simple cheapo parts, but like so many things in MSI forums the post got deleted in which a member explained in detail to the point he reversed the problem.

I had a dodgy card and followed it's progress very closely.
    I now refuse to buy anything MSI.

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Ah okay I see what you mean, yeah hate it when companies try to save a few (big difference) and think we wont notice (they probably thought the 0dB/rpm on idle would save them). I personally havent had any problems with the 770 Gaming or the 970 so I'm still good with them, if at any point that changes I'll go for another vendor (yes I'm not vendor loyal lol).

4. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I owned an MSI 670 for 2 years prior to buying the MSI 970 and I loved it, great card.
    That's why I went MSI again, but I really was appalled by the way they treated their early adoption customers with the 970. Both in terms of refusing to accept RMA unless via dodgy vendors who were unable to replicate the fault and by the way people were treated by their forum staff. One of which in particular is a dangerous Muppet who regurgitates the same guff time and time again whilst not having a clue.

LOL I'm still a bit sore from the whole episode as you can probably tell :D

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I was messing with .185 and noticed its actually accepting my fan edits now.
    600RPM idle!.. before (.182) it wouldn't and gave me 700-800RPM.

http://i.imgur.com/VPPS7Sd.jpg :)

6. sebbo

sebbo Guest

GPU:
    Club3D 7800GT 256MB
    Nvm.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The only thing bad with this new TF4 is auto fan on/off, this is the crappiest thing ever (will avoid such design), same by Asus Strix?..

They both tried new hype to get bigger attention, but imo they both failed.

8. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Or just use custom fan curve, with 35% min fan speed, and enjoy otherwise good design. I had Gainward, Leadtek, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus card, and on all of them i had to fiddle with fan speeds, so i am already used to it.

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It works with the Gaming 970, but not with Gaming 980. With the latter one, you can only control one fan with Afterburner or other tools. For the other fan, you need a special MSI tool and you can't use a custom fan curve. It also takes control away if VRMs get above 85°C.
    Total crap, card is much louder this way than it needs to be.

Made me sent it back and order a JetStream (Strix is too expensive).

10. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    That's the point with s/n. Noone will ever be the same. Yours might be a different revision maybe they change the series the s/n goes on.

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well generally it goes like this:
    Gaming: 182 -> 184 -> 185 -> 186

4GD5T/Armor: 191 -> 192 -> 193 -> 194

Golden: 1F2 -> 1F3 - 1F4

These are the latest last time I checked but that was a few months ago xD anyway most of the time their interchangeable with only stock clocks and boost tables different on some (like some evga vanilla, vs sc, vs ssc etc...) but most of the time might as well keep on the same route as your original BIOS just in case something goes wrong and you cant go back to reflash it.