Comp takes 1min to POST

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Netherwind, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Something weird happened last night when I wanted to play for an hour before bed. I turned on my computer and went to fetch something to drink. When I got back I noticed that the computer was on, the fans were spinning but the monitor was in standby mode. Pressing the reset button didn't do anything so I pressed and held the power button for 3 secs for it to shut down.

I started it again but it just didn't work. All the mobo LEDs were shining in blue like they're supposed to. Finally I just started the comp and checked all cables and just out of nowhere it passed POST and started booting normally.

First time I encounter a minute delay before POST. Is the PSU giving up? Or maybe one of my two external HDDs that are wacky?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Disconnect the drives from the board, see if it POSTS normally, if it does, reconnect them one at a time and see if it starts to hang again

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Will do, thanks.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well now it's getting really weird. I tried disconnecting the external HDD drivers and it did go to POST about 30 sec later so i took the opportunity to play. Now when I came back home I tried starting it up again but the computer just switches on for one second then turns off. This repeats until I turn off the PSU switch.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Might have to lower that overclock a bit.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Could try a CMOS reset. Strange though that the clocks been working for three years and now suddenly doesn't. Wouldn't you agree?

7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Always go down to the basics, CPU, RAM, GPU, everything else disconnected.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Disconnected all (including SSDs) except CPU, 1 RAM stick but it still won't start. I think the PSU is dead tbh.
    Ordered an EVGA Supernova G2 850W plus some other parts and we'll see how that goes.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Last update regarding this.

Replacing PSU didnt help and I read elsewhere that one or several capacitors on the mobo could simply be worn out which would explain why I cant start my old computer.