Do Realtek HDMI audio drivers no longer work with 7900 series cards?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Rob55levo, Jul 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rob55levo

Rob55levo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 HD
    Hi!
    Hope someone can help here, I'm pulling my hair out over this one.
    I have a Sapphire Radeon 7950 HD graphics card, I'm trying to install the latest realtek HDMI sound drivers from their website but I can not get them to work! I've tried everything I can think of, Different HDMI cables, connecting directly to my TV, older Realtek drivers, I even did a fresh install of windows with no luck and I have disabled on board audio as well.
    I know someone would suggest sticking with the ATI HDMI sound drivers but realtek have much more audio options which suit my HTPC set up (Speaker fill etc.) I know this because this is my third ATI card. This is what I get when I install the realtek drivers:

[​IMG]

And look at this!! what the hell is an HDMI optical jack???

[​IMG]

I really don't understand what's happening here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're using the ATI HDMI Audio Driver provided by Realtek, you shouldn't see any difference in options compared to the HDMI Audio Driver provided by AMD as it's the same driver.

The Realtek provided HDMI driver is version 2.70. If you're using Windows8 as your system specs suggest, you need to use the HDMI Driver provided by AMD as the driver provided by Realtek doesn't work properly in Windows8. Realtek released the 2.71 drivers to support Windows8.

3. Rob55levo

Rob55levo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 HD
    Thanks for the reply sykozis, that's good info I wasn't aware the 2.70 hdmi driver wasn't compatible with windows 8, guess I'll just have to wait for an update. I'm going to try installing compatibility mode and see what happens, doubt it will make a difference though.

4. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    Is there a difference between Realtek's drivers? Audio improvements, extra settings etc.?

5. Rob55levo

Rob55levo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 HD
    I've always found Realtek drivers give extra audio options over the AMD drivers, for example the "speaker fill" option which does a pretty decent job of up mixing stereo to 5.1. surround.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The AMD and Realtek drivers aren't the same, just look at the files included and the actual driver files. The Realtek driver needs an update, they probably don't do it much since AMD provide their own generic driver.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Realtek provides the driver to AMD. AMD, as is the case with every manufacturer, modifies the driver for their exact implementation.

There's really little reason for Realtek to host the HDMI driver at all as AMD releases all the HDMI audio driver updates with their graphics drivers....

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It just seems to be very different. Completely different file set (just a driver file), and the driver file seems very different too. The Realtek driver does actually state it's an AMD HDMI driver (ATI). From what I believe, the AMD implementation of it isn't a modified Realtek driver, but a driver based on the generic audio system (the Microsoft driver model).

9. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    So what's the word -- who has the newer (better?) HDMI audio driver, Realtek or AMD?

And where are these supposed "extra options" for audio?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013