Considering new PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deltatux, Apr 29, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey guys,

I was considering getting a new PSU, my budget is about C$75-100 and I'm looking for a good 650-750W PSU for my rig. No specific requirements on the 80PLUS but obviously if I can get a nice 80PLUS for the price, the better. Doesn't have to be modular but preferred. Brand preference: Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Thermaltake.

I was thinking of getting an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W just because I don't have to disassemble the wiring and reroute them and just switch the PSU itself. I already have an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W right now. My other choice is the newer OCZ ZT Series 750W Modular PSU. I've liked OCZ PSUs because they're pretty good and plus, if there's any problems, I'm close to their Toronto office so I can just drop off any defective products and get a new one on the spot.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    deltatux

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    why do want a new one?

Anyway CM have a new line called Obsidian or something, Hilbert did a review the other day.

Mind you, no reason not to get another OCZ if this one has treated you well. Stick with what you know...

I'm on my 3rd AcBel (they are OEM for Coolermaster) because I know from first hand experience how reliable they are. My old one is another rig with a Phenom II. 6 years old and stick ticking.

OCZ has treated you well so yeah...

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Considering getting a new GPU soon. That and my bro needs a "new" PSU stat since he's running off a generic PSU. Those things scare the living sh*t out of me. I rather get a new PSU and give my old one to him.

deltatux

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ah OK, I edited my post btw....

5. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    You could get a Seasonic G550. If you really need 650W, there's an OEM version of G650 for 95$.

Rosewill Capstone seems to be a decent performer too.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Quite a few good PSU makers out there. I dont look at brand names, just who the OEM is, and what model it is. Seasonic and Superflower are probably the cream of the crop, but also would have no problem going with Delta or CWT made units.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Enermax?

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Fracture make great psu's, also the wires are modular which is handy for using only what you need as well as having neat & tidy cables...

They are also silent, VERY silent...

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This, and currently I would prefer SuperFlower over Seasonic. CWT is always quite decent but nothing mind blowing, I wish that I would have bought SuperFlower unit some time ago but they weren't in stock and I got mine cheap. For single GPU system 450W-550W gold or platinum certified SuperFlower would do nicely. If I remember correctly some Kingwin and Rosewill units are made my SuperFlower.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    That would be fast and easy^...Your Bro would be happy too...

11. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    In my current build I decided to take a chance and go with a Seasonic.
    At first I was a little reluctant because in the past I have always used PC Power & Cooling supplies.

I have to say that I am beyond impressed with this Seasonic Power Supply. Mine is their higher end unit, but they have some very affordable mid-range offerings.

You may want to check out Seasonic as an option to provide the clean and solid power you want.

12. kroeger

kroeger Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250
    FSP is another good oem.

Check out these links:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-9.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Discover-Your-Power-Supplys-Real-Manufacturer/370

Hope these help

13. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I just recently bought 2 new corsair psu's can't go wrong with them.Interesting to see that superflower is a good brand never tried them before.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    To be honest, many recent FSP units mostly come with C(r)apXon caps and the quality has been less than stellar. Depending where you ask, FSP can get quite a bit of thumbs down. They're probably exaggerating a bit but the quality can vary.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I've had my current 'be quiet!' PSU for a few years now. Voltages have always been rock solid, build quality is excellent IMO.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I had a Superflower on my previous build (carried over from the buiild before that), it was a PSU on got in a hurry to replace one that had blown. I ran it pretty hard at times, in hot weather, and 24/7, never had any issues with it. The only reason why I replaced it was because of the new build. I could have gotten away with it I guess, but that said I am extremely happy with my 750W Enermax Platimax (and it fully supports C6/C7 which is good).

They seem to be a bit harder to find now here, that said the Enermax Platimax wasn't the easiest to find either, but I think it is better than the altnernative option I had (Corsair AX760).

18. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Thx for the reply,i'm having corsair psu's for years now,glady until now never had any problems with them.Also had a thermaltake toughpower from 2008 850w model wich i had for 3 years but i didn't trust it.

19. tx00824

tx00824 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 4870x2
    My previous one was 1300W Tagan, which broke down couple months ago, and honestly it was a missed choice but at the time who would have known.

So this time I decided not to go for such an overkill and just got myself Corsair 860W (not the "i" version as I wouldn't use it anyway) and so far it is serving me really well. I like corsair products so i recommend this one for you. It is as they say quite advanced design.

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-sup...lus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu.html

20. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    Get The OCZ.
    If you have to change wires you can make more mistakes.