970 memory allocation issue revisited (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by morbias, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Yes that is true, what ever energy is put in has to manifest itself somewhere else. So yes his room would be warmer with the 290s

I thought he was talking about efficiency of coolers to their GPU.

But even then he said he was mining on the cards to do so, if he were to mine on his 970s 24/7 the effect to his room could be the same overtime.

290s mining 24/7 100% and two 970s mining 24/7 100% if they were to both reach sustained GPU temps of 80c would have the same effect on the room, till the room reached 80c then the 290 would heat past that quicker.

Interesting, more thought then I wanted to put into it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    ahh this sounds a lot clearer I understand now .. well rather than everyone getting mystic meg look in to my crystal ball type of thing I guess to be honest us gtx970 owners will find out in the not to far distant future, funny thing is though my mates still use 2gig cards and they look and play game fine still so I cant help feeling its probs not going to be as big of an issue as people might think.. but like I say I don't have a crystal ball to find out .. just my gut feeling. because what will everyone do who owns below full 4g going to do you telling me all of us will have to upgrade sorry some how I don't think its going to pan out that way.

oh just like to add I can understand why people are upset but for me its not a problem because I can just adjust my video game settings as and when needed. I thought everyone had to do this though for some games at least.

also I don't understand why they keep saying the gtx980 does not do this, well is that not because its a gtx980 and not a gtx970?
    example: its branded as being an gtx970 so it will be diff as its a diff model and lower specs? oh and a heck of a lot cheaper
    pay more get better model is the only answer I can think of if your not happy with the performance of the 970 get the next model up the 980. for the money diff im more than happy with what the 970 can do.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea you are right when mining although its just when using the 290x's room would heat up quicker due to more total system watts being pulled to get he same results at 80c for the 290x's they were a nightmare if im honest way to loud way to hot had no choice but to down clock them or they ran at 95 24/7 while mining could not bare it at the temp and noise the room would reach when they hit 95c .. pheeww glad they gone even more now I think back to them.

when you have been mining with the r9 290x's 24/7 you have a very good idea how they react to heat as this will effect your hash rate, which you want as high as you can get at all times, not poss with the r9 290x's due to heat and noise .. well it is but unless you can cope with being deaf and slow cooked.
    exp miners will fine tune there bat files to get the best results, including over clocking, fan speed, temp cap etc can be controlled in the bat file in windows or bin files in Linux, I give up with mining as I believe it going to be killed off by hackers and scammers, which probs only people that's left using it atm anyway, not that's a fact heh just how I felt in the end.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very well said mate. I couldn't have said it any better.

Maybe game developers can optimize their code to get quicker access to the other 0.5gb with minimal performance loss. Or develop some kind of workaround for the 0.5gb.

5. mr_scarface

mr_scarface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 GTX
    hey guys, will this problem be fixed by march? i need a new video card and im currently saving for one.

6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    MODERATOR - TXT removed infraction added. Talk like that again and your account will be deleted.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It is really not a fixable problem from the hardware side of things The only way that I could see this being corrected if the game developers patched their games to create a workaround and somehow decrease the amount of performance loss when accessing the other 0.5gb.

8. mr_scarface

mr_scarface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 GTX
    i only own a 1080p monitor. will this affect it?

like the other person said, im not a fan of AMD either but this is making me have to buy one

9. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    you will be fine at 1080p i speak from exp lol

10. mr_scarface

mr_scarface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 GTX
    thanks. i'll look into buying it in 3 weeks

11. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Go for it. You'll be just fine @ 1080p and you would be fine even if you played @ 1440p

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    just remember the r9 290x draws a lot of power and get fairly hot if your thinking of getting an r9 290x to replace your GTX970, I wouldn't exchange. this is a pic of power use when I was playing metro last light I had 2 crossfired.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

what it looks like now with my GTX970's, I removed h55 and replace with air cooling, the h55 is ok for what it is though its better than the boxed cooler but thats about it.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    not trying to troll but over ta hard ocp they proven that it effects 1080p in shadow of mordor and ac unity.. shadow of morodor stutters like hell on ultra as soon it reaches 3,5 gig of mem usage

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Id take the performance over the heat/power, i couldn't care less if my 290s warmer than a 970, and pulls a bit more power than one, as at least when im gaming, my peformance doesn't cripple, if im getting say 100fps, then im staying at 100fps, im not getting 100fps one minute, 50 or less the next as my cards crippled.

15. 53RKZ

53RKZ Guest

GPU:
    HD4600
    I bet you've got no idea how pathetic you sound. The man was making a completely valid point while you're just embarrasing yourself.

Do you really think so? I don't. Most devs already can't optimize the games to use the power of a good PC properly, then what makes you think they'd even bother to optimize something for a very small group of people? Nvidia wouldn't pay them for it, that's for sure.

16. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I didn't say that devs were going to do it. All I was saying the one possible workaround would be for the devs to code one into one of their patches. Yes I am well aware that some devs can't optimize for PC worth a darn.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I have no problem with it at 1080p, even exceeding 3.5GB of VRAM.
    I don't know what the deal is, I tend to believe that the problem doesn't manifest itself the same way on every card.

I mean after seeing people actually reproduce the flaw, I tried to replicate using the exact same settings and the issues never appeared.

19. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    Record your findings disable V-Sync, show FPS and Frame Times, so far everyone who has has shown this problem.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Think the only way the devs could help, is by card detection, if the game detects a 970, then limit the ram used to 3.5GB, if it can be done of course, so not using the 0.5GB in the other pool that cripples performance, any other card detected, then no 3.5GB limit, so all Nvidias other cards with more than that wouldn't be limited to 3.5GB, and neither would all of AMDs cards with more than 3.5GB VRam either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.