MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition - cannot enable voltage tweak

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by avid_gamer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. avid_gamer

avid_gamer Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6850 1GB
    I have just installed an MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition graphics card.

Now the box, the manual, all the information suggests that the included MSI afterburner tool should have a "triple over voltage function". I have tried both version 2.1 and the 2.2 beta and even if I enable the voltage tweak in the settings dialog, it still is not enabled. I also tried enabling the unofficial overclocking function in the config file. I've also installed the MSI vga drivers from the disk and updated to version 11.11 of the catalyst drivers. I'm using a gigabyte MA770t-UD3 motherboard with windows 7 64bit (enterprise edition).

2. darrencook

darrencook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
    Same problem, but both MSI and Overclockers (seller) seem to be avoiding answering this, i have found that TRIXX does 'kinda' work but only because it alters the voltage to be always that rather than the 'power profiles'.

You can do the same with afterburner IF you able consent voltage change setting. but avoids the point somewhat in saying it supports if it as you and myself have found out... its a false claim...

Wondering if i should return this card and get the 69xx instead tbh...

3. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Dear avid_gamer/Darrencook,

Please show me the info when pressing "i" button on the afterburner interface, I will check it for you, thanks.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. diogo_cme

diogo_cme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 OC
    This is weird, because I can overclock my 6850 Cyclone PE with AB. Go to settings -> compatibility properties and make sure everything is checked.

5. darrencook

darrencook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Display device : MSI R6850 Cyclone PE (P) on Barts GPU
    Display driver : 7.14.10.0887, Catalyst 12.1
    On-board memory : 1024MB
    BIOS : 013.012.000.028
    GUID : VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_24411462&REV_00&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0

6. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Your card should work well w/o any issue, can you post two screenshots for me please ?

first
    [​IMG]
    second
    [​IMG]

7. darrencook

darrencook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
    Afterburner its self shows it 'has' increased the voltage in the info screen, but if you view the voltage via kom bustor etc it is default 1.100v not the increased voltage. (gpuz doesnt show a voltage at all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

None of third party tools including Kombustor or GPU-Z are aware about custom triple voltage controllers on these cards and able to provide correct readouts. Use DMM to verify that voltage. I see zero issues in this thread but trivial user understanding issues.

9. darrencook

darrencook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
    Multi meter? i wouldnt know what is where on these cards as not much about them as there not standard pcb... also when using trixx kombuster shows correct voltage...?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Use multimeter. Kombustor is pure driver-level tool, it cannot reflect anything beyond standard AMD driver things in monitoring area. It doesn't support access to advanced VRMs of these cards.

11. darrencook

darrencook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
    Okay cheers for clearing that up unwinder, i figured as using Trixx was showing the voltage change and using afterburner wasnt it wasnt working. my mistake.

12. fansfan

fansfan Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclon 6850 PE
    Exactly same problem with mine 6850 Cyclone PE.
    I've just reinstall Win7-64 SP1, download the latest beta, did every unlock stuff, but voltage control still doesn't work:
    [​IMG]

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    From the screenshot it looks like you have either a difference card or a different BIOS as the card designation is AMD Radeon (Reference) and not indicating the Cyclone PE.

14. fansfan

fansfan Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclon 6850 PE
    Omg ure my hero! Its actually a double BIOS card, so i switched tumbler into perfomance one and now its working! But still able to control only core voltage.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ok then the switch was in failsafe mode reverting back to the default BIOS, and indeed not the performance BIOS.

Not sure about triple voltage, but really ... GPU core voltage is all you need anyway. Let us know your OC experiences ;)

16. anDrasch

anDrasch Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    @fansfan, have you noticed this hint and the clickable switch?
    [​IMG]

17. fansfan

fansfan Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclon 6850 PE
    anDrasch
    Nope, tnx a lot :D

18. fansfan

fansfan Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclon 6850 PE
    Well, this was supposed not for overclocking actually :). I could decrease core voltage down to 1050 mv and decrease card temperatures by 3-4 degrees. Not as much, as i expect, but anyway, voltage control definitely works. Thanks again guys!

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No prob buddy.