Searching a 2560x1440 Monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Arbold, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    Hi. Since i don't know where else to post i'll do it here.
    So i'm in the market for a new monitor... Can one of you recommend me a good 2560x1440 monitor? Or would i be better off with a 1920x1080 120hz one? Hope you can help me out there! :)

2. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
  3. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    So is the XL2420T or it's bigger brother any good?

4. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah, I haven't had any issues with my XL2420T.

After experiencing 120Hz it's difficult to adjust back to 60Hz.

Everything is much more fluid not only in games, but it's noticeable on the desktop also.

The downside is that it's a TN panel, so the colors and viewing angles aren't as good as an IPS panel. If you're mostly just gaming it probably won't matter much.

The stand is very adjustable and sturdy also....Anyways Samsung has some good 120Hz screens and Asus has a 144Hz screen...check those out as well.

5. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    that tempest looks great, when you receive it let us know how it performs?
    Thanks.

6. clittell

clittell Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-780 3GB
    I bought a Korean 27" IPS off ebay. It is the Crossover 27QD... $325 and f/s (f'ing amazing price, compared to domestic or online retail).

This panel is beautiful! If you've never seen an IPS display before, you don't know what you're missing. Personally I consider this super high resolution to be a greater value than a 120hz refresh, but that's because I need to do more than just game or watch movies on it.

My biggest reservation about buying from an ebay store was that I'd get a bunch of dead pixels. The display I received has none, so my worries were (hopefully) unfounded. YMMV. The replacement policy typically sucks, e.g. you have to have 10 or more before they consider it defective. If you do happen to get more than 10, they will pay for return shipping...

The model I bought is the most basic. Dual-link DVI is the only input and there is no OSD. You can adjust brightness and contrast via buttons on the bottom of the frame. They also push the fact that it has speakers pretty hard, haha. There are other models with DisplayPort or HDMI inputs as well but they're a bit more expensive.

Oh, one last thing, the stand only adjusts tilt. I would have preferred a height adjust stand, like dells come with standard.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Can your Crossover 27QD overclock?

8. clittell

clittell Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-780 3GB
    I don't know. How can I tell?

9. MrBucket

MrBucket Guest

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte 7970 Crossfire
    My Dell U2711 is awesome. Its aimed more at image quality than gaming, and with me using it for my professional photography in some cases it just made sense to go with that over some "gaming monitor. Its a little bit more money but its worth it, its 10 bit H-IPS panel is just awesome looking. The build quality is second to none and the stand is great and able to hold it in whatever position you want for however you want, and keep it nice and stable the whole time.

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I've got a Catleap Q270 2B - most amazing monitor I've ever seen in real life. Bought it on a whim and scored big! I hear the QNIX is very good but has some darkening issues when overclocking.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Congrats for the monitor. The Qnix darkening issue is an issue of gamma being off with higher OCs. Color calibration can correct that.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have XL2420T too. And actually anyone who got it will be very surprised once he/she moves to any kind of IPS.

Bad Surprise:
    XL2420T back light strobe can be adjusted to blink at special pulse length and 120Hz rate, therefore eliminating 85%+ of ghosting before this change. And It has very low ghosting to start with.

On other Hand S-IPS can achieve around 6-12ms gtg response time which itself is at edge where 120Hz becomes useless in competitive fps gaming.
    But should give very fluid motion blur like feeling.
    If gtg time is 8ms and lower for particular panel then it should not cause more trouble in general.
    (here is 6ms panel which would not cripple 120Hz: HP DreamColor LP2480zx - only 2100$)

Good Surprise:
    XL2420T have very bad color representation in all gaming modes out of the box or if you downloaded custom ones from BenQ. Therefore to use some advantages of this monitor one has to compromise color quality.
    (or modify and upload his own profile into monitor which will make color profile good)
    Benq has steep gamma bump around black to allow users to better distinct objects in shadows.

So any S-IPS with superior blacks&whites (contrast) will defeat benq's shadow feature by natural clarity of high contrast. Color representation will be unmatched and viewing angle too.

Very good surprise:
    Many games alter LOD based on resolution therefore using SGSAA on 1080p may look nice, but using down sampling from 1440p will bring additional objects on screen which would otherwise be hidden.
    1440p panel will do this at native resolution.

Very bad surprise:
    1440p resolution have 1.8x more pixels than 1080p that needs better iron to get 120fps in games. On other hand at 1440p AA is not needed as much and light weight SMAA post processing will do nicely.

All together that "Overlord Tempest X270OC" looks pretty good in all parameters even gtg is promised not to go over 6ms.
    - There is only one big concern and it is way which has to be used to achieve 120Hz mode on it.
    They describe it as overclocking. If you are into 120Hz be sure it has actually firmware which reports to PC with it's EDID real support for 120Hz.
    - Only one input (DVI) may be not acceptable for some. I prefer DVI over HDMI.

Side thoughts:
    1440p provides a lot of pixels and is enough to give very good stereoscopic images in case display have passive polarization filter on it.
    I have hopes for 120Hz passive stereoscopic display even if it was just 1080p.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I know what to expect from an IPS.
    (previously owned both dell 3007wfp-hc & u2711)

They were moved to my workstation after switching to 120Hz.

The Overlord Tempest looks to be a worthy replacement. If so I'll get another.

14. Matz80

Matz80 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX Titan X
    As you can see I have two 2560x1440 side by side
    [​IMG]

The glossy iMac 27" and Asus PB278Q... What can I say? IMO are really different due to Mac glossy surface, but... I prefer Asus for gaming, is more realistic than Apple (yes, I can use iMac as pc monitor as well) and Apple is better for photo : P

In any case, both are really fantastic... So if you buy a WQHD monitor like Asus or similar (from that price range) you will enjoy for sure : )

15. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    I just picked up the Asus PB278Q. Excellent monitor....

16. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Can someone enlighten me why people buy Overlord screens?
    Overlord buys Qnix QX2710, sticks a new foot under it, put's it own label on and adds 250$.

Man that is some easy money for them.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  17. I've recently upgraded from my old XL2370 to a Qnix QX2710 Evo II - what an awesome product for the price. I got a pixel perfect edition for about $330USD. Mines artifacting at 120hz but 110hz is fine, i am absolutely loving it. First time experiencing 1440p and anything higher than 60hz so it was a real eye opener for me and i'd highly recommend the Qnix to anyone else. Obviously there is a risk that you could get a panel with stuck pixels and/or backlight bleed but I was lucky enough to get a good panel.

Deluxe im not sure about this but I thought the Overlord tempest uses the S-IPS panel used in Apple thunderbolt/Catleap rather than the PLS panel found in the Xstar and Qnix. But you're right, with whichever panel they use they just slap their own bezel/sticker on it and their own stand and charge much more for it. Looks a lot nicer than most of the other Korean based monitors so maybe thats prodominantly why people shell out more for those models.

One thing for sure with the Qnix, the stand is complete and utter crap, really quite wobbly, i'll get a new stand for mine at some point for sure.

18. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I use the Dell 3011 and it is 2560x1600 (used in conjunction with my Viewsonic VX2835wm @1920x1200).
    Its mainly used for photography, but also COD BO2 and BF3.

[​IMG]

19. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Well it's 100% the same bezel as the Qnix/Xstar, so that's why I guessed it's the Qnix/Xstar.

20. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    What is that thing on the right of the mouse?