FX 9590 new chips?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Garwinski, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Hello,

I am on the verge of purchasing a 9590. I still have a AM3+ platform, and this is one of my only choices to satisfy my need to upgrade :banana: I have a question though: Are the 9590 chips all from launch, so the end of 2013, or are there also freshly made 9590's that get the improvements that later 8350's got?
    I ask this because the 9590 was not really a mass-market product.

The 8370, a sort of improved version of the 8350, are very good at overclocking. Could this mean that a 9590, a cherry-picked 8350 basically, is not much better now that all the 8370's are almost as good as cherry-picked 8350's in the past? Or has the 9590 benefited from the same improvements in production if we assume that the 9590 is even still produced, this meaning that the 9590 is a cherry-picked 8370? Everyone still following? :D

Anyway, thanks in advance.

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Why why why would you want to upgrade from 8350 to a 9590, coming from another vishera
    user, you have literally no damn reason to upgrade, none. Sit tight and stack up cash for
    skylake.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What it means and whatever it may be no one should advice you to get one. Get a decent CPU cooler and overclock that 8350 to hell and back.

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    No point, just wait for Zen.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Absolute waste of money

6. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    It will make some difference of course. I know that you should go intel blablabla but I don't want to upgrade my whole pc, just a little more performance on my current platform. There are still some games out there that are bottlenecked by my fx8350, and with this chip I have guaranteed high clocks. It is also more than 50% a craving to tinkering with new hardware :D

And now please, pleeeeeeaaaase no more "you should go intel", because I wont. I recently assembled a pc for a friend with the newest intel generation because I know, AM3 is EOL with ZEN coming and all and it would be foolish to spent hundreds of euros on a dying platform. But for current AM3 users that are generally very satisfied with their pc's that can get a little more performance and the satisfaction of new hardware for some 50 euros, why not? :)

Does anyone have any more insight I production and stuff, how this stuff goes, and if there are actually fx9590 produced in 2014 or 2015?

I am not planning on getting rid of my computer for quite some time, maybe when the second generation of ZEN is around or something I will get a new platform, but until then, just curious about some benefits, be it minor, by getting a different chip that can overclock better than a fx8350 from a batch from 2012.

My chip is from 2012 and I lost the silicone lottery, it cant do 4.8Ghz stable, no matter how much Volts i put wherever. 4.7Ghz is possible, but then I already need 1.5 volts or more. Also one of the reasons to try and change the chip. Even then, temps can get out of hand, even with a noctua nh-d15 :flame2:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Yeah well guess what, I've been to the other side(5Ghz) and i can tell you this, total-waste-of-money.
    5Ghz made such a huge difference, that dota 2 even lost performance.
    And no the overclock was not bad because it ran stable at prime/c4d. If you have already
    reached 4.7Ghz, Imo thats the sweet spot. To see an actual difference from this chip, get
    ln2 and do 8ghz, pour some while playing battlefront, maybe you'll get 5-10 frames more.
    But that's about it, everything else is just a random excuse.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Looks like June 2014
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8316/...l-the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review

If you're willing to pay ~280€ then I guess go for it, apparently it has turbo boost 5GHz.
    https://www.alternate.nl/AMD/FX-959...+-processor/html/product/1086666?event=search

But to be honest, check this

4.2GHz FX8350 vs 5ghz FX 9590 and it gains only 4fps boost

Hitman Absolution quite cpu bound
    http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/510...arks-hd-7970-hitman-absolution-1920x1080-high

Or Crysis3 1fps difference
    http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/510...kt-benchmarks-hd-7970-crysis-3-1920x1080-high

BF4 3fps difference or 6fps by min fps, only F1 2013 showed up to 7Fps
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8316/...the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review/8

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1289

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Considering the OP seems to be focusing on gaming, a GPU upgrade would be a better investment. Upgrading the CPU with that rig is flushing cash down the drain. A good high end single GPU would be an option, I'd not go multi-gpu with an AMD CPU even if there wasn't better out as far as graphics cards.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  10. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    The power bill will be the thing that has the most increase.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not worth it because all the 9590 is just an 8350 on steroids which means highly overclocked. Also you would need a motherboard that would support a 9590 because that chip uses so much power that only a few boards support it. At the end of the day I would wait on the cpu upgrade until Zen comes out from AMD or upgrade to Skylake if you want Intel. Even better just upgrade your graphics card for the amount that the 9590 sells for you could be on your way to a decent GPU upgrade.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    If u want AMD wait for zen the judge, if not Intel is the best option now.

13. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Thanks for your feedback people! True I would never spent €300 euros or something on it, I found quite a good deal, and with the selling of my fx8350, it costed me €50 in total. I was also thinking about a new GPU, but I will probably wait for the new line up of AMD later this year so the prices of older cards will drop.

I know I will see some bigger increase in performance in the Total War games. I am always very CPU limited in those games. A well, I will see it later this week when the CPU arrives. I reasoned that for €50 euros it was worth the shot :)

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah ok, yeah for 50€ its not that bad.:nerd:

2133 or 2400mhz ram would help too by very cpu bound scenarios

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I just did some research on your Motherboard and you shouldn't have any problems getting the FX 9590 running with your current board. Also 50 Euros is a very good deal on that chip considering they go for $240 US dollars (223.10 Euros). Just make sure you have great cooling because that Chip requires liquid cooling.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man, almost no need to overclock any higher then...:D

17. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    How does this work actually, benefits from faster ram in cpu bound scenarios? I will try to overclock RAM, as my ram seems pretty capable from what I can read on the internet (Balistix sport 16GB (4x4GB))

I have the noctua nh-d15, so should be good, at least from what i can find on the internet. People with noctua nh-d14 for example run it just fine at 5Ghz, so I should be good as well :p

That was what I was going for :) However, I will probably experiment whether I can crank it up just a little bit more... :eek:c:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Ok Then. You should be all set.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

It will run faster by lots of driver/api communications... Faster cpu <> ram communication will feed gpu data faster and can help extra by min fps and avg a little.

game> driver (cpu <> ram) >api> driver (cpu <> ram) > game, or something like that..

You can try Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet2 , by both fixed benchmark, keep msaa at minimum, at least by LP2.. And manually change in mydocuments/capcom jobthread=8 instead of default 4 to stress cpu/ram bandwitdh more..

Hitman Absolution and Thief is also one of those games, again don't go to crazy with msaa.

X3TC old single threaded benchmark also where there is huge DX api/driver bottleneck, it hammers only 1-2 threads, mostly 1 thread 90% of the time.

OR mmos, Rts, etc.. GTA4, GTA5, HardReset, Crysis1, 2, 3 as well.. Well any game that doesn't utilize gpu to the max, unless you're already forcing ultra uber high settings and idk drop from your desired fps limit.

20. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Hm I am going to tinker non the less with the RAM speed. But I have quad channel (4x4GB) and at the moment I can not go higher than 1866Mhz on the RAM, but here and there I see that the fx9590 supports u to 2400Mhz (vs 1866Mhz for fx8350). Then again, I also read somewhere that this is not the case. But I will find out :)